The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 Maths C4 1st June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
according to that You lose 4 percent lol... for example 51/75 = 68% that in ums is 64%

woop woop chicken soup

they change every year do they not?
what was the answer to 2 ii
I don't know, it seems reliable like, I've checked them with my marks and theyre all exact bar one which is like 2% out. I didn't make this, I found it somewhere I can't remember, so that makes it more accurate, not as if I did it myself.

They do, but I think it's more or less the same, sadly doesn't have too much effect on scaling unless everyone sucked at it.
Sorry for all the random questions but just say if I got:

C1 - 82
C2 - 61 (but resitting this - aiming for 80+)
M1 - (resat this - say about 74)
C3 - 75
C4 - CRAP LOL (just say I've got 60)
M2 - will undoubtedly be a fail.

What's the highest grade I have the chance of getting. I need a B :smile:
Original post by sAuhsoj
I was in sheer panic whilst doing this exam but managed to collect myself and, all in all, I think it went very well (at least in comparison to everyone else :P)

4) ii) (-2,6) and (2, -6) I am pretty happy with this

5) 1/4 tan 4x + 11/4 very confident in this answer

6) iii) I got (0,0,3) - a few others in my further maths class got this so I am fairly confident, my working made sense in my head but I didn't believe this answer when I arrived at it

8) ii) I got 0, 180 and 360 (this is definitely correct)

i got them too except for the vectors one. i found the co-ordinates of P to be (-2,1,0)
I didn't know how to approach this question but i knew since that they were perpendicular, their dot product equalled zero. So i made a =(ai +bj +ck) and b = (-i-2j). Basically just used basic logic to get my answer. Really devastated with the Vol. of revolution, didn't have time to go back and check aswell because it took me three attempts on the proof. Anyone doing math at uni next year?
Want to know what's funny. I didn't get one of the angles in 8ii LMAO
Original post by richard1123
Sorry for all the random questions but just say if I got:

C1 - 82
C2 - 61 (but resitting this - aiming for 80+)
M1 - (resat this - say about 74)
C3 - 75
C4 - CRAP LOL (just say I've got 60)
M2 - will undoubtedly be a fail.

What's the highest grade I have the chance of getting. I need a B :smile:

C1 - 98
C2 - 95
C3 - 92 (resat in may, potential 100 :})
C4 - 85-95
M1 - 98
S1 - doing this wed, hoping for an A :smile:
Original post by MatthewGallagher
C1 - 98
C2 - 95
C3 - 92 (resat in may, potential 100 :})
C4 - 85-95
M1 - 98
S1 - doing this wed, hoping for an A :smile:

You didn't exactly answer my question, you are just making me feel worse. I asked you do I have a chance of making my grade.

Well done though, you're looking to do maths I take it at uni?
Reply 28
Original post by sAuhsoj
I don't think 70/75 will not be a A* mark since everyone found this exam so hard. Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level#What_about_Maths_A-level.3F which shows how A*s are calculated. I think 6) ii) is just the vector equation of the line (I also expanded it out). Because in part ii) you did not know that OP was perpendicular to the line so it could have been one of any number of values.

you don't know how happy you just made me there, i wrote the vector equation of the line for 6 part 2, although i'm worrying it was just 3k instead as thats all it took to move the origin on to the line. and as for the thing about my 70/75, well based on january, that would get me above 90%, but i don't think it gets me 92% which is what i need.
Reply 29

what was the question?
haha you're probably in the C/low B region bro.
yeah maths at qub, although i'm having doubts after that exam lol
Reply 31
Original post by wormyrug
you don't know how happy you just made me there, i wrote the vector equation of the line for 6 part 2, although i'm worrying it was just 3k instead as thats all it took to move the origin on to the line. and as for the thing about my 70/75, well based on january, that would get me above 90%, but i don't think it gets me 92% which is what i need.

why 92% specifically?
you're having doubts, and you're doing maths. Well I'm ****ed.

That sounds alright, say if I was to work my ass of and get 90% in C2, would I be certain of a B?

sAuhsoj - the volume of the paperweight.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
you're having doubts, and you're doing maths. Well I'm ****ed.

That sounds alright, say if I was to work my ass of and get 90% in C2, would I be certain of a B?

sAuhsoj - the volume of the paperweight.

256/15 pi
rounded to 53.6 cubic units (3sf)
(edited 11 years ago)
yeah, should be safe enough. you'll only need an E (40) in m2 then.
you should have repeated c3 bro, very easy module
Reply 35
Original post by wormyrug

Yeah, i got the same thing as you, except i forgot to take the 360 reading, so i'm pissed at that. Also made silly errors like in question 7 where i didn't give the exact value, and in 4 part 2, where we had to find the stationary points. I knew x=-3y, and i found one of the points as (2,-6) but forgot that (-2,6) also would have been valid.
I did however get the vectors question, and the co-ordinates of P are (0,0,3), but didn't get the position vector, but i think it might simply be 3k. Apart from the vectors question (which took me most of an hour to do), the test wasn't that bad i thought, although i'm annoyed cos i need 92% for the a*, and based on the answers given by my teachers (all 3 gave unanimous answers), i have around 70/75, based on how many marks i lose for the above mistakes, and due to scaling, 70/75 will most likely be scaled below 92%, which is a pity, cos I really wanted an a* as i doing maths next year

Really think than 70/75 in this paper will be enough for 92% due to the difficulty of the paper - and how difficult everyone else seemed to find it? That's the purpose of the UMS, to allow for variations in the difficulty of papers, right? Hope so anyways hehe
Reply 36
Original post by star_5
For 8ii, I got 2tanx or 1+tan^2x=0, so tanx=0 and tan^2x= -1. so I said x=0,180,360 reading off the tanx graph, then said no solutions for tan^2x= -1. Probably wrong lol.

I got the same! Loads of people didn't register the -1 and ended up getting 7 answers.

The vector question parts ii and iii are on the Further Maths syllabus?

Original post by sAuhsoj
I was in sheer panic whilst doing this exam but managed to collect myself and, all in all, I think it went very well (at least in comparison to everyone else :P)

4) ii) (-2,6) and (2, -6) I am pretty happy with this

5) 1/4 tan 4x + 11/4 very confident in this answer

6) iii) I got (0,0,3) - a few others in my further maths class got this so I am fairly confident, my working made sense in my head but I didn't believe this answer when I arrived at it

8) ii) I got 0, 180 and 360 (this is definitely correct)

I got the same answers as you for those questions :biggrin:
edit: whoaaa sorry sorry! I read your Q4 wrong. I got (6, -2) and (-6, 2).

Original post by MatthewGallagher
i got them too except for the vectors one. i found the co-ordinates of P to be (-2,1,0)
I didn't know how to approach this question but i knew since that they were perpendicular, their dot product equalled zero. So i made a =(ai +bj +ck) and b = (-i-2j). Basically just used basic logic to get my answer. Really devastated with the Vol. of revolution, didn't have time to go back and check aswell because it took me three attempts on the proof. Anyone doing math at uni next year?

I'm doing maths & physics next year :smile: for the co-ordinate of P in the vectors I had (1-t)i + (2-2t)j + 3k and put the dot product with the line l equal to zero and worked out t as 1 to get (0,0,3).

I got 512 pi over something..I've forgotten the bottom line of the fraction :frown:

My teacher was really annoyed about how 3 new styles of questions were introduced into the same paper. After the exam he went to write a very angry letter to CCEA :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
I messed up M1 (somehow) I came out of it thinking I had 100% but then found out I had misread two questions and that messed me up. I think that's about 4+ marks gone so I am hoping I made up for it in C1, C3 and C4 which have gone well.
Reply 38
Original post by Guin
I got the same! Loads of people didn't register the -1 and ended up getting 7 answers.

The vector question parts ii and iii are on the Further Maths syllabus?

I got the same answers as you for those questions :biggrin:

I'm doing maths & physics next year :smile: for the co-ordinate of P in the vectors I had (1-t)i + (2-2t)j + 3k and put the dot product with the line l equal to zero and worked out t as 1 to get (0,0,3).

I got 512 pi over something..I've forgotten the bottom line of the fraction :frown:

My teacher was really annoyed about how CCEA introduced 3 new styles of questions into the same paper. After the exam he went to write a very angry letter to CCEA :P

Got the same as you for the paperweight thing! 512pi over something lol
Reply 39
Original post by Guin

I'm doing maths & physics next year :smile: for the co-ordinate of P in the vectors I had (1-t)i + (2-2t)j + 3k and put the dot product with the line l equal to zero and worked out t as 1 to get (0,0,3). :P

I got the same co-ordinates (0,0,3) for P, but I used lamda, and got (2-lamda)i +(4-2lamda)j +3k, then worked that out as lamda =2. Are we on the same wave length here? lols

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending