The Student Room Group

History OCR GCSE exam tips!

I have a lot of knowledge but when it comes to the exam I don't pick up a great amount of marks. Does anyone have any tips in regards to how much should be written for the 4, 6 and 10 mark questions along with the best ways to answer source questions for paper1 and paper2.

Modern World B- International Relations exam and Germany Depth study exam

Scroll to see replies

For analysing sources in paper 2, our history teacher told us to *PANDA* or refer to the:

P -urpose (what was it used for? To inform people/amusement/persuade people etc.)

A -uthor (who wrote it and why? Would they be subjective?)

N -ature (what was it- was it an article/cartoon/government propaganda poster etc.?)

D -ate (when was it written and did this have any significance?)

A -udience (who would/was meant to see this at the time? What impact would it have on them?)

It depends on the actual question but those are some general things to look out for :smile:

Oh and you should *PEE* (Point Evidence Explain) when answering all questions :tongue: hope that helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
For the 4 Markers you need to briefly tell the examiner exactly what the question is asking. Please let me stress that you do not bullet point the answers but in a way list them with a small amount of explanation. It should take no longer than 6 lines. The 6 markers require a bit more explanation but less points. Aim to write at least half a page but if you can write more and have the time then definitely do so! Now, with the 10 markers, aim to try and write about a page.

Love
-Michael
Reply 3
Just wondering, is it possible to get an A* over all when you've got B/C for your controlled assessment(30%)? I heard that grade boundary is something like 90% for an A*..
I know that this question is not very relevant for this thread, but I was hoping that someone would know?
Thank you!
Reply 4
^ Im the same as you. I recieved a B for my coursework (36/50) which was really disappointing, as I'm aiming for an A* :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Kim07
Just wondering, is it possible to get an A* over all when you've got B/C for your controlled assessment(30%)? I heard that grade boundary is something like 90% for an A*..
I know that this question is not very relevant for this thread, but I was hoping that someone would know?
Thank you!

Yes, I got a very low B in my coursework last year and still got an A* overall :smile:
Reply 6
Really! Did you revise a lot?! How did you get it exactly!?
Reply 7
Original post by J.Star
Yes, I got a very low B in my coursework last year and still got an A* overall :smile:

Ah, that just made my day..:smile: if you don't mind me asking, what percentage did you get in your final exam?
Reply 8
It made my day too, I thought there was no hope for either of us haha
Reply 9
Original post by merrrrr
It made my day too, I thought there was no hope for either of us haha

Haha, there is now thank goodness :')
Lol, the German Depth study should be a rave, I got 85% without revision in our mocks.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Reply 11
Original post by Kim07
Ah, that just made my day..:smile: if you don't mind me asking, what percentage did you get in your final exam?

I'm not sure about percentage, but I got 86/90 UMS in the Germany depth study paper and 60/60 UMS in the Britain depth study paper.

I spent 15 minutes talking over a few points with a couple mates before the Britain paper as my only revision lol. GCSE's are easy, I just finished my As levels, and I would have done anything to have been doing my GCSE's again. Enjoy them whilst they last :tongue: When do you have the exam?
Reply 12
Original post by Michael's
For the 4 Markers you need to briefly tell the examiner exactly what the question is asking. Please let me stress that you do not bullet point the answers but in a way list them with a small amount of explanation. It should take no longer than 6 lines. The 6 markers require a bit more explanation but less points. Aim to write at least half a page but if you can write more and have the time then definitely do so! Now, with the 10 markers, aim to try and write about a page.

Love
-Michael

for the 6 markers, would u do about 3 explained points ?
Reply 13
Original post by Rose393
for the 6 markers, would u do about 3 explained points ?

No, I would only do 2 points however explained in great detail. However, if you are struggling to think of enough content on one point then you would have to do 3.
10 mark question, I'm presuming you mean the last question on paper 2 - it's the easiest question! It'll be a 'do the sources agree/disagree' question, and what you do is split the sources into the two sections e.g a, b, c agree because... and d, e, f disagree because... - explain all the sources and that's 9 marks. For the 10th, talk about reliability of one of the sources. Remember to mention ALL the sources though, or you can only get 2 marks max!

Glad about the B courseworks getting A* - I was worrying, and I have a high A :colondollar:
Does anyone know what grade 43/50 is on the coursework?? x
Reply 16
Original post by MissMuffin95

That would be an A like me :biggrin: same score as well and you would be 2 marks off an A*
Reply 17
Original post by 15nico360
That would be an A like me :biggrin: same score as well and you would be 2 marks off an A*

Actually one mark of an a*!!!!!!!!!!!- According to the grade boundaries the last few years
Original post by MissMuffin95

I got that - an A :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by J.Star
I'm not sure about percentage, but I got 86/90 UMS in the Germany depth study paper and 60/60 UMS in the Britain depth study paper.

I spent 15 minutes talking over a few points with a couple mates before the Britain paper as my only revision lol. GCSE's are easy, I just finished my As levels, and I would have done anything to have been doing my GCSE's again. Enjoy them whilst they last :tongue: When do you have the exam?

Those are one insane marks...:eek:

12th- Germany etc
15th-Britain etc..

Ahh I am worried to sick.. How did you revise for it? Writing(x100) down doesn't seem to work for me..:colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending