The Student Room Group

Are we due another war?

Very controversial, I know, but can the world really support any more people? It's predicted that in 2050 the world will have to sustain 9 billion people. Can the planet really cope with all this strain on its natural resources?
How do you think we can cope? War? Educate the Western world to stop eating excessively?
Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
Eh. I don't see what eradicating Europe would achieve, the real problem is all these other countries with massive populations that are developing and taking on increasingly 'western' lifestyles.
Original post by concubine
Eh. I don't see what eradicating Europe would achieve, the real problem is all these other countries with massive populations that are developing and taking on increasingly 'western' lifestyles.

Lol

Edit: Seriously does no one else find the level of ignorance on show hilarious?

The problem is people aspiring and achieving the level of comfort probably everyone who has negged me has? Not the western lifestyle in its self?

Obviously only some populations can live comfortably and in excess right? When everyone starts to gain wealth and fuel their greed, they are the problem! Not the people who have been fueling their greed for an age! The world can only sustain limited amounts of greed right? and I mean it sustained ours first so they are the problem. Everything was dandy when they were poor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Wow, a 'controversial' thread with hardly any comments and no negs for the OP, it's a miracle!

Edit: yeah, well there were none :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 3mm@
Wow, a 'controversial' thread with hardly any comments and no negs for the OP, it's a miracle!

Its only been six minutes since the OP :colone:
You need to google "Ester Boserup"
Reply 7
Original post by concubine

I don't mean a nuclear war. Maybe just killing a few million, I don't want to sound inhumane, but I don't see any other option. The birth control programme worked to some extent in China but wasn't really a success. If we all ate the daily intake of an average African then the worlds resources would be more evenly balanced across countries, but I don't see that happening with the McDonald's generation.
[video="youtube;9lD8gey7HYI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lD8gey7HYI[/video]

:rock:
Reply 9
Original post by NuckingFut
Its only been six minutes since the OP :colone:

lol I prepared myself for the onslaught of negs to come my way :biggrin:
Reply 10
They've been thinking about it for decades.
Original post by MeGusta
lol I prepared myself for the onslaught of negs to come my way :biggrin:

Well it wasnt me
Reply 12
Original post by michaelhaych
You need to google "Ester Boserup"

Very interesting!
Reply 13
It's bound to happen soon.
Original post by MeGusta
I don't mean a nuclear war. Maybe just killing a few million, I don't want to sound inhumane, but I don't see any other option. The birth control programme worked to some extent in China but wasn't really a success. If we all ate the daily intake of an average African then the worlds resources would be more evenly balanced across countries, but I don't see that happening with the McDonald's generation.

Do you know that there has always been enough food to go around, it's just that the majority is in the possession of the most developed nations.

Also, the populations of these nations are generally decreasing, fertility rates are plummeting through the developed world.

As demand for food increases methods of farming will become more efficient. Genetically Modified Golden Rice has been used to provide the world's poorest with a plentiful source of Vitamin A which they would otherwise be lacking; irrigation systems have been used to create huge farms in areas of desert.

2598104344_8bf393dbab_z.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MeGusta
Very interesting!

Population levels do not exceed Earth's resources and production capability.
China and India are the problem, take them out of the equation and the world is cut of almost 3 billion people.

I'm not saying we should nuke them or attack them btw.
Reply 17
We're the first generation to enter an age of never-ending war perpetrated by international terrorism and endless unmanned drone operations.

We will never know true peace.
Original post by Spaz Man
We're the first generation to enter an age of never-ending war perpetrated by international terrorism and endless unmanned drone operations.

We will never know true peace.

have a day off.
Reply 19
Original post by michaelhaych
have a day off.

I've had a day off already....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending