The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When in doubt, steal a better explanation. Pro-tip for life or, more accurately, "How do you think I got this far?"

In other news, Scumbag Spotify is still protected with Themida which means I can't even run a debugger on the same machine without causing Scumbag to quit automatically for security reasons. Looks like any reverse engineering will have to be done in a VM because I have music running in the background 99.9% of the time when on my PC. Can see why, though - they don't want people patching it to remove the ads without paying nor do they want anyone reversing the proprietary encoding mechanisms and stealing the tracks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2581
Original post by Chrosson
Yes, but more importantly SHA1 doesn't have the same severe vulnerabilities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#Security) as MD5 - there have been issues found that mean that MD5 is actually (much) weaker than the term '128-bit hash' implies (similar issues have also been found in SHA1, but not as severe).

See the first paragraph under the heading at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1#Cryptanalysis_and_validation to see the ideal behaviour of a hash.

Sorry for the poor explanation :frown:

Okay.. I'm slightly :confused: after reading those articles but I think I understand both of these a bit better. :yy:
Original post by secretmessages
So the only way to 'reverse' an md5 is to brute force it? :holmes:

Yes. The hash is a mathematical function that represents the input - it's not an encryption technique. I can represent a 1TB drive as a 128bit hash value, but that doesn't mean I can recreate the data from the 1TB drive if I know the hash - you cannot create something from nothing. It is a 1 way function.
Sold.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Sold.

This was my first though when I saw the prices. Shame, I was looking forward to going to university with money in the bank, maybe next year :moon:

Very impressed by what I saw of Google I/O, if only to watch them give away freebies with a street value of several million dollars to the attendees. Google Glass as a concept looked cool, just a pity the actual glasses looks ridiculous. You've got to give them credit for refusing to let Google+ die, I guess...
I like Google+. :sad:
I like Google+. :sad:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it, I just can't fathom a reason why I'd possibly bother using it. Adoption rates have been pretty poor (At least within my group of friends, which at the end of the day is what counts on a social network), and coupled with a lack of interesting features I can't think of why I'd want to use it even alongside Facebook :erm:

Have you seen anything on whether or not it has expandable memory? Can't seem to find anything definitive on that. I would guess not if they're offering different memory models :holmes:
Holy crap that's cheap
Reply 2588
Sad to hear. I know EXACTLY how you feel as I live with my mum and two brothers and we are on the verge of not affording the rising cost of living.

Are you at uni?

Are you expected to work and help out financially by parents?

Do you feel that all this tech is ruining your life?
(edited 11 years ago)
I just couldn't resist.
Where?
Original post by mangoh
Sad to hear. I know EXACTLY how you feel as I live with my mum and two brothers and we are on the verge of not affording the rising cost of living.

It's not so much that the cost of living has gone up, it's that our income has dropped substantially. My father lost his job before christmas and for reasons I don't want to go into hasn't been able to get work since. Up until a couple of months ago the mortgage was being paid by our insurance company and we've been able to live very comfortably off of my mum's part time job and savings, but the mortgage is back on us now. Luckily it's carried us through to a point where we can sell up and by downsizing we've practically eliminated our mortgage, so even if my dad doesn't find work for another few months we aren't in any danger. We've got to the point where we'd rather just be in a position that we don't have to worry rather than clawing to hold onto where we live at the moment.

Are you at uni?

Are you expected to work and help out financially by parents?

I am at university, and I've been expected to support myself since I went to uni first time round in 2009. I've always worked and made money whenever I have been able to (In the past three years I've never been out of either study or work for more than two weeks in a row) so I've never asked my parents for money. It just makes it nice when they're able to give me a little extra [=

Do you feel that all this tech is ruining your life?

In short, no. I enjoy my tech a lot and while I wish I had the willpower to just say no (See above), I've never let it interfere with my life and I'd certainly never let it risk compromising my finances. Like everything in life, it's about moderation.
Where?

Google Play's website, there will probably be other places but I figured I'd get in early.

Am I right in thinking that all Nexus devices ship with stock Android, with no skins/overlays?
I'd assume so.
I'd assume so.

Good, I've never been a massive fan of Touchwiz, Sense or Motoblur so it'll be nice to just have the base experience to work with initially.
Just preordered mine. It says on the Google Play website you get a copy of Transformers: Dark of the Moon and £15 Play store credit for free. :h:
If there's a Nexus 7 Tablet rather than just a Nexus Tablet does that mean we should be expecting their iPad competitor soon? :ninja:
Original post by hassi94
If there's a Nexus 7 Tablet rather than just a Nexus Tablet does that mean we should be expecting their iPad competitor soon? :ninja:

I wouldn't have thought so, the sub-$300 market is probably going to be a lot more profitable for them. They've pretty much blown everything else in this class of product out of the water in terms of specs, build quality and hardware/software integration, and they don't have Apple occupying potential market share.
If I didn't already have my prime then I probably would have bought this. Alas I have no need and can't afford it :frown:
Reply 2599
I am off on a short holiday tomorrow, if I save enough money from my planned spending I will be buying myself one of these. Such a good price!

Also, yes the Nexus devices come with "pure" android, which also means they receive a massive amount of support from people making custom ROMs etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending