The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just had my first lesson. Getting used to the pedals is a pain in the backside...
Never expected the gas pedal to be so sensitive!
Original post by Muttski
Just had my first lesson. Getting used to the pedals is a pain in the backside...
Never expected the gas pedal to be so sensitive!

Tell me about it! haha Clutch does my nut in but I haven't done much start / stopping as where I live it's mainly single carridgeway roads as far as the eye can see.
Booked my driving test in just under a fortnight, getting quite nervous now. First test since resuming in January, about my 8th overall. Really hope I pass this time, so I don't need to ask people for lifts, use public transport all the time & spend so much money on lessons & failed tests. I'm getting better just need to work on meeting & approaching, slowing down appropriately & being confident at junctions, getting my manoeuvers done properly by steering at right time & effective use of mirrors & generally concentrating at all times & not letting nerves get to me. See how it goes haha! :smile:
Original post by Multitalented me
Booked my driving test in just under a fortnight, getting quite nervous now. First test since resuming in January, about my 8th overall. Really hope I pass this time, so I don't need to ask people for lifts, use public transport all the time & spend so much money on lessons & failed tests. I'm getting better just need to work on meeting & approaching, slowing down appropriately & being confident at junctions, getting my manoeuvers done properly by steering at right time & effective use of mirrors & generally concentrating at all times & not letting nerves get to me. See how it goes haha! :smile:

How did it go?
Original post by cherryred90s
How did it go?
Hi, thanks for asking! :smile: Unfortunately I failed again. I did get quite nervous but it was a silly error on my part for failing. I hesitated too much on situations where I was pulled up on the left but had plenty of time to go. I wanted the cars on the approach to go past first but there was plenty of room for me to go before than but I just didn't take any of the opportunities. Oh well there's always next time...
Hi, thanks for asking! :smile: Unfortunately I failed again. I did get quite nervous but it was a silly error on my part for failing. I hesitated too much on situations where I was pulled up on the left but had plenty of time to go. I wanted the cars on the approach to go past first but there was plenty of room for me to go before than but I just didn't take any of the opportunities. Oh well there's always next time...

Ah that's a shame, sorry to hear.
I have an issue with hesitation too. Good luck with your next test though :smile:
Reply 8886
I've got my test coming up in less than a month and I'm just praying I pass. I've been taking lessons on and off for about a year now and my theory test expires in June next year! Definitely don't want to have to retake the theory. Its funny because when i passed my theory last year, i thought 2 years is a long time, i would have passed my practical well before then.

I'm worried about manoeuvres, as my general driving is pretty good.

If i don't pass this time, I'm going to book a few lessons with a different instructor.

Hows everyone else doing? any upcoming tests?
Original post by fkx
I've got my test coming up in less than a month and I'm just praying I pass. I've been taking lessons on and off for about a year now and my theory test expires in June next year! Definitely don't want to have to retake the theory. Its funny because when i passed my theory last year, i thought 2 years is a long time, i would have passed my practical well before then.

I'm worried about manoeuvres, as my general driving is pretty good.

If i don't pass this time, I'm going to book a few lessons with a different instructor.

Hows everyone else doing? any upcoming tests?

I'm sure you'll pass before your theory expires.
I'm worried about manoeuvres too. I'm good with 3 point turn (which I'm sure everyone is as it's easiest) and I'm somehow good with the reverse around a corner. Bay Parking is good once I steer back to the right on time. Parallel park is the worst. When pulling up next to a car, I'm too close and my instructor has to steer away, which would obviously be a fail if it were the real thing. I've been taught the 1,2,1 method but it's figuring out the point of turn that annoys me. I'll get there soon I suppose.

I have my first test booked for the ending of jan :smile:
Got my 9th test this lunchtime, starting to get nervous now. I don't want to fail again & have to wait a few months again, pay the fee, pay for more lessons & just suffer the general disappoint of failing again. Hopefully I can control my nerves & keep concentration! :smile: I'm at least trying, just see what happens now, looks a bit dark now, but not any serious rain or anything.
Got my 9th test this lunchtime, starting to get nervous now. I don't want to fail again & have to wait a few months again, pay the fee, pay for more lessons & just suffer the general disappoint of failing again. Hopefully I can control my nerves & keep concentration! :smile: I'm at least trying, just see what happens now, looks a bit dark now, but not any serious rain or anything.

Good luck!
Good luck!
Thank you, sadly I failed but oh well, next time I guess. Only one serious again which is pretty frustration (hesitation at roundabout) really getting there, just need to get over mental block now, hopefully will pass soon!!! :smile:
Thank you, sadly I failed but oh well, next time I guess. Only one serious again which is pretty frustration (hesitation at roundabout) really getting there, just need to get over mental block now, hopefully will pass soon!!! :smile:

Aw, never mind. You'll smash it next time.
I thought hesitation at a roundabout was only a minor:frown: this gives me no hope
Aw, never mind. You'll smash it next time.
I thought hesitation at a roundabout was only a minor:frown: this gives me no hope
Thank you, yeah hopefully! :smile: Erm, I'm not sure, if you mislead/make other drivers change pace than that is generally a serious. Just try to keep calm & believe that you can do it, good luck for when you do your test!!! :smile:
Test booked for next week, but I'm not sure if I'm going to postpone it. I dont feel ready at all :/
Original post by jada897
Test booked for next week, but I'm not sure if I'm going to postpone it. I dont feel ready at all :/

At this point you're going to be waiting a while for a new test if you do reschedule, so if it's already booked and you don't mind losing your money, then just take it and try not to get disheartened in the event of a fail. It's good experience and the examiner will give you lots of great advice if you do fail. You never know as well, you might just pass too!
Reply 8895
Original post by jada897

Mine is in just under a month and I really do not feel ready either. One week I do one thing continuously wrong and the next it's something else, even though I'm usually not making those mistakes. I don't know why. Why do you not feel ready?
Original post by han56
Mine is in just under a month and I really do not feel ready either. One week I do one thing continuously wrong and the next it's something else, even though I'm usually not making those mistakes. I don't know why. Why do you not feel ready?

I feel the same. I'm at the point where I'm overanalysing everything and my test is in less than 2 weeks, but I think I'm always going to feel this way just to use as an excuse to push the date back. In all honestly, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. If I pass, great! If I fail, I can always do it again
I feel the same. I'm at the point where I'm overanalysing everything and my test is in less than 2 weeks, but I think I'm always going to feel this way just to use as an excuse to push the date back. In all honestly, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. If I pass, great! If I fail, I can always do it again

Very true! Good luck :smile: by tomorrow i would have had 6 hours of lessons this week. Hopefully itll help!
Reply 8898

If you're overanalysing then maybe you just need to take step back and let things come naturally. Just remind yourself that you know what you're doing, you'll be fine!

I'm the opposite! I'm focusing too much on making sure I don't repeat previous mistakes that I begin to make other stupid mistakes. It's literally as if I can't retain new information unless I get rid of old information. Does this just mean I still need some time before I take my test? I'm not sure to be honest... 😰
Original post by han56
If you're overanalysing then maybe you just need to take step back and let things come naturally. Just remind yourself that you know what you're doing, you'll be fine!

I'm the opposite! I'm focusing too much on making sure I don't repeat previous mistakes that I begin to make other stupid mistakes. It's literally as if I can't retain new information unless I get rid of old information. Does this just mean I still need some time before I take my test? I'm not sure to be honest... 😰

I'm the same really. When's your test?

Latest

Trending

Trending