The Student Room Group

Microgynon pill to Rigevidon anyone?

Scroll to see replies

I just got an email from my doctors surgery and they've told me that they'll be changing my prescription from Microgynon to Rigevidon and I've done a bit of research and so far a lot of women have had really negative side affects from it and I'm quite worried about it. I'm now on medication for other things that are affecting my hormones and now I'm scared that if I change to this new pill it could possibly mess things up even more for me.

I'm actually considering not taking the pill anymore and just getting the coil or something like that.
I started taking Rigevidon 8 months ago and I started to with severe depression. I get shortness of breath and have been spotting in between periods. I sometimes get tingling in my feet and hands. I've taken microgynon before and been fine.
It's exactly the same pill. It's just a generic brand, like when you get tescos own paracetamol instead of boots or something- it's got identical ingredients. If you notice any change its a placebo effect.*
I'd like to share my experience.
I recently picked-up my contraceptive pill from my doctor. When I opened it up at home, I noticed that it was Rigevidon instead of my usual Microgynon (having been prescribed Microgynon for the last 8 yrs). After reading the basic blurb, it still seemed to be a contraceptive pill with the same ingredients, so being a busy woman, who trusts her doctor, I started taking it as normal (& as prescribed).
To cut a long story short, I turned in to an emotional lunatic! It was frightening, as I was becoming someone who I didn't even recognise, BUT I DIDN'T REALISE IT WAS DUE TO MY ALTERED HORMONES. I became so unreasonable with my long-term boyfriend, that I actually ended our relationship!! It was only his perseverance & patience that allowed us to get to the bottom of it. "Please think hard: what's actually changed that has made you so insecure with me?", he begged me. Eventually it clicked that it coincided with the change in the pill [so it wasn’t by definition a placebo effect]. However, I still wasn’t sure, as I’d never experienced mood swing anything like this before, but my newly-ex-boyfriend was more insistent, as he’d had a previous girlfriend who’d had similar (but not as bad) mood swings. I was soon easily persuaded by him that this was the cause (& not him!) I immediately started feeling less irrational, as I had an explanation, rather than just blaming my depressed state on those unfortunate enough to be around me, & especially close to me. The day after this revelation, I angrily visited my doctor, & immediately got the prescription changed back to Microgynon. She told me that her “computer system suggested that you were suitable for a switch”. She also told me that it could take up to 2 weeks before I am back to normal; it’s been 3 days now, & I still feel the ‘depression’ (although it is waning slightly), but knowing that it’s the drugs, not me, is keeping me sane in this mental discomfort. I’ve had a lot of apologising & making-up to do; not just with my boyfriend, but also my father, & work colleagues.
I’m not a luddite, but a tax-payer, & if the system suggest I’m suitable for a switch to a cheaper version, I’m happy to help-out the NHS by trying-it-out. However, I’m so angry that I wasn’t warned about the possible SERIOUS side-effects (as exemplified by reading these other forum posts today, some from over 3 yrs ago!), or even INFORMED THAT THE PRESCRIPTION WAS BEING CHANGED! I’m incensed because I came close to losing my job, & falling-out with my family, & almost lost the man I love!
I've never contributed to a forum before, but feel so strongly that this procedure of changing a patient's medication without informing them that it's a change with potentially serious side-effects, I'm taking my precious time to contribute here. Also, I just hope that it's not that doctors are being somehow bribed to these changes.
Original post by Dan's gf, still!
I recently picked-up my contraceptive pill from my doctor. When I opened it up at home, I noticed that it was Rigevidon instead of my usual Microgynon (having been prescribed Microgynon for the last 8 yrs). After reading the basic blurb, it still seemed to be a contraceptive pill with the same ingredients, so being a busy woman, who trusts her doctor, I started taking it as normal (& as prescribed).
To cut a long story short, I turned in to an emotional lunatic! It was frightening, as I was becoming someone who I didn't even recognise, BUT I DIDN'T REALISE IT WAS DUE TO MY ALTERED HORMONES. I became so unreasonable with my long-term boyfriend, that I actually ended our relationship!! It was only his perseverance & patience that allowed us to get to the bottom of it. "Please think hard: what's actually changed that has made you so insecure with me?", he begged me. Eventually it clicked that it coincided with the change in the pill [so it wasn’t by definition a placebo effect]. However, I still wasn’t sure, as I’d never experienced mood swing anything like this before, but my newly-ex-boyfriend was more insistent, as he’d had a previous girlfriend who’d had similar (but not as bad) mood swings. I was soon easily persuaded by him that this was the cause (& not him!) I immediately started feeling less irrational, as I had an explanation, rather than just blaming my depressed state on those unfortunate enough to be around me, & especially close to me. The day after this revelation, I angrily visited my doctor, & immediately got the prescription changed back to Microgynon. She told me that her “computer system suggested that you were suitable for a switch”. She also told me that it could take up to 2 weeks before I am back to normal; it’s been 3 days now, & I still feel the ‘depression’ (although it is waning slightly), but knowing that it’s the drugs, not me, is keeping me sane in this mental discomfort. I’ve had a lot of apologising & making-up to do; not just with my boyfriend, but also my father, & work colleagues.
I’m not a luddite, but a tax-payer, & if the system suggest I’m suitable for a switch to a cheaper version, I’m happy to help-out the NHS by trying-it-out. However, I’m so angry that I wasn’t warned about the possible SERIOUS side-effects (as exemplified by reading these other forum posts today, some from over 3 yrs ago!), or even INFORMED THAT THE PRESCRIPTION WAS BEING CHANGED! I’m incensed because I came close to losing my job, & falling-out with my family, & almost lost the man I love!
I've never contributed to a forum before, but feel so strongly that this procedure of changing a patient's medication without informing them that it's a change with potentially serious side-effects, I'm taking my precious time to contribute here. Also, I just hope that it's not that doctors are being somehow bribed to these changes.

* Rigevidon-

This is a combined oral contraceptive pill that contains 30µg ethinylestradiol (an oestrogen) and 150µg levonorgestrel (a progesterone) which work together to prevent egg release.

Microgynon-
30 microgram of
*• 150 microgram of levonorgestrel.

They're the same tablet. Unless you were on microgynon 20 which had a Lower oestrogen content. Sometimes we can be in a bad mood or depressed - it doesn't mean the pill has caused it. It seems more to me like you're looking for answers and are attributing it to this pill.*
I've been on microgynon for 10 years with no problems. Then when I got my prescription they gave me rigevidon. I have been on it 2.5 months and feel terrible. Bad depression crying for no reason, feeling like I don't want to exist. Chest pains and lack of sleep, travel sickness which I've never had before. The last two days I have had constant pain in both sides, assuming my ovaries. I hadn't made the connection to the pill until someone at work suggested it. My mood swings have been terrible scared I'll lose my job at my lack of enthusiasm and being so tired. Going to get a doctors appointment and ask to change back. If they turn me down will buy microgynon from superdrug £25 for 6 months. Can't stand living this way. I will return to this post to let you know how I get on. It can't just be a coincidence.
Reply 166
Was on microgynon for nearly 20 years with no trouble..came off it relationship breakdown..no trouble with it what so ever..now due to heavy periods..doc decides to put me on rigevidon...what the he'll..I'm doing nothing but bleed on it..water retention from he'll..I'm going away in few weeks and was hoping to do back to back pill taking to avoid bleeding during this time...not likely is it..back to docs Monday.....crap pill grrrrr...
Reply 167
I've had similar symptoms when I switched from coil to rigevidon. Had uncontrolled outbursts of crying and felt depressed. Talked to my GP and they asked if I could try the pill for a bit longer that probably my body needs to adjust to new hormones. I got back to normal after about 3 cycles. So stay hopefull
Hello, this Sunday that just passed I stopped taking my pill for my one week period break. I hadn't started my period yesterday so me and my boyfriend had sex. He didn't finish inside me but I'm starting to get worried as its nearly been a week and I still haven't had my period?
Ok so I have been on the pill for the last year, but have recently ran out. I was prescribed an Australian branded pill (Eleanor 150/30) because I lived in Australia for a year. I went to my UK doctor today and she prescribed me rigevidon. Now medically, it is 150mg levonorgestrel/ 30 mg ethinylestradiol which is the exact same as the pill i was on in Australia for a year. I had no problems whatsoever with my pill, but I've read horror stories on here about rigevidon and now I'm really worried! Has anyone taken this pill and had no problems? Or am i doomed already lol
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, this Sunday that just passed I stopped taking my pill for my one week period break. I hadn't started my period yesterday so me and my boyfriend had sex. He didn't finish inside me but I'm starting to get worried as its nearly been a week and I still haven't had my period?

You are ok as long as you didnt miss any pills previous to your one week break. You are still fully protected from pregnancy during this week. Sometimes during this week I wouldn't get my period at all, and I wasn't pregnant.
Reply 171
rigevdon is basically the generic version of microgynon supposedly no different but yeah I too have experienced different side effects and felt rigevdon was not as strong but now I feel they are no different but my doctor was very obliging and let me have microgynon. Doctors are told to use the cheaper version that's all
Whilst the active ingredients are the same, the inactive ones are not. I know they're in tiny amounts but the last time I had my birth control brand switched I bled for three weeks straight. These things do make a difference.

I'm arranging an appointment with my GP because since being switched from Microgynon to Rigevidon 3 weeks ago I've been getting migraines every other day. Nothing else has changed with regards to my medication. I'm wondering if something in it is interacting with my antidepressants.
Original post by asmallcat
Whilst the active ingredients are the same, the inactive ones are not. I know they're in tiny amounts but the last time I had my birth control brand switched I bled for three weeks straight. These things do make a difference.

I'm arranging an appointment with my GP because since being switched from Microgynon to Rigevidon 3 weeks ago I've been getting migraines every other day. Nothing else has changed with regards to my medication. I'm wondering if something in it is interacting with my antidepressants.

There are no inactive pills with microgynon or rigevidon, only pill free weeks.
Stated on the patient information leaflet on Rigevidon "As this contraceptive pill contains exactly the same active ingredients as Microgynon® you should notice no difference when changing pills." Are these effects definitely not psychological? I am unsure how people are reporting such problems. I am not disagreeing with these views, however, that is like saying Nurofen works better than 200mg of ibuprofen, when both contain 200mg ibuprofen...
Reply 175
Original post by Dan's gf, still!

You poor thing,

I can relate to you completely, and I can also honestly say I have also never contributed to a forum before either.

I only came across this site for research on the change in name.

I had been on microgynon for nearly 10 years and they suddenly changed me to Rigevidon for a few months.

I was unsure to why I didn't feel myself, I was depressed, mental almost becoming psychotic. It was ruining my relationship. I began questioning myself 'what is the point in life'.

I then decided to go and see a doctor with a list of things that was happening (at that point not even thinking it was the pill and thought I was becoming mental).

The doctor then suggested changing pill which contained different hormones, to which I thought (this may open another can of worms!).

Later that day when I returned home, I had a brain wave about Microgynon pill to Rigevidon which I thought that could be impossible as it holds same ingredients.

I did some research on google that night and came across this site..

The next couple of days I rang the doctors to make another appointment with a nurse practitioner which was lovely and I honestly find they have more time for you than doctors.

She explained to me the ingredients are same but still decided to put me back on Mycrogynon as she said "you know your body best" and made an appointment in 3 month time to monitor my progress.

I kept note on my diary each day and symptoms went pretty quickly. I still had the odd moody days before or after the time of month etc but no where near feeling how I felt.

When I re visited the nurse practitioner, she agreed that I was better to stick on Mycrogynon.

I asked her the question to why they put people on this and its purely cost reasons and found some other company to manufacture this for cheaper... which is typical NHS..

She said most of her colleagues were not open minded about it as her and mentioned that it is the same ingredients and but the sugar coating might be the bit thats affecting me which is crazy how something that small could lead to suicide.

She said a few girls have revisited regarding the change in pill and said that I was the only one eager about it especially after all this reviews.

This shows that most girls wont even click thats its this affecting them/ or are being dismissed by doctors because they are not helping.

Who ever tells you that it is same ingredients and has placebo affect are talking bulshit.

I mentioned this to a close friend of mine.
She has been on the injection contraception (same one for years ) and said that they have changed the name to that as well.
Since then has been bad with spots since the name change... what does this tell you.

Dont believe anything that anyone is telling you especially the government.
Worst pill I have ever taken, after taking this pill I experienced constantly feeling down and depressed, constantly feeling bloated and over weight. I advise no one to take this pill it is awful.
I'm considering asking for a different brand having been on Rigevidon for the last year and a half and having been told by 2 different GPs that I was just stressed by school and a different brand wouldn't help. Having left school I can conclude it wasn't stress so hopefully this one will listen, has anyone found changing brand to help?
Hi, I have been on Rigevidon for 4 months now and in between 2 of the 7 day breaks each month, I have been experiencing all of the old symptoms (but not bleeding) at the time when I would have been on my old cycle.

I don't know what is happening it's like I've gone on Rigevidon to control my periods but now I have two cycles going on at the same time.

Does this happen to anyone else and what should I do?
Is anyone else bleeding with Rigevidon? I've just been swapped on it from Microgynon - had no problems with it at all and i've been having light periods. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest