The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Hey people, with ABB predictions what universities are respectable for straight Economics(L100) or Economics and Politics(LL12)?
Hi everyone. I would like to intorudce myself just by saying that I am an international student with a specific situation and you are the only last hope, so please be so kind to help me with your suggestions as much as possible.
The thing is that I have already applied to 4 places, BUT to the MEDICINE. And this means that my personal statement and reference are focused on the medicine and not economics. Do not ask why, but everything changed in my life and now I am currently studying ECONOMICS in university and I understood that I really love this subject, that is why I chose to apply to EConomics couse in UK. Talking about my grades- I have Average 10 in all secondary-school subjects, my state exams: Maths 93 percent, English 99 percent, Lithuanina language 99 percent, Chemistry and Biology 97 percent and the average of all exams- 97 percent. I really want to get into Economics school- into a good university, but my PS and reference are not related to EConomics. What do you suggest? What about Warwick? Is it possible to get there? In which unis I should apply? I will be waiting for your answers so much. I can only make the last choice...
I applied for economics at Aberdeen ma is this cours more similar to a bsc degree or ba

what about Dundee ma BSc or ba
I want it to be closer to NSC if it isn't what should I do ?
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks
Reply 824
Original post by Ess R Kay
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

Overlapping subjects like Economics and Business will definitely put you in a disadvantage compared to other candidates, especially for top universities. At Bath, they even specifically stated in their entry requirements that they don’t want overlapping subjects.
Reply 825
Original post by Elasticity
Hi I'm a 2nd year at Warwick doing economics. Pretty sure there is no GCSE requirement subject wise. Your extra-curricular stuff sounds good - I got in doing virtually nothing extra-curricular except being an economics prefect at school. I think however you may only just be on the verge of the generally required GCSE grades for an offer though don't quote me on that and obviously if your a levels and personal statement are very good I'm sure they overlook GCSEs anyway.

Hey there, I just want to ask about the work loads, are they really intensive and do you have to be super hardworking in order to get a 1st? Oh also how are the social life there hehe :biggrin:?
Sorry for bombarding suddenly with a chunk of irrelevant questions I just want to know more before I apply:smile:
Reply 826
Original post by Jasminge
doubt this'll get answered but
which is better for Economics: Royal Holloway or Surrey?

Surrey offers a year of placement which apparently really boost your ability to get a decent job in the market after graduation so I’d say Surrey.
Original post by BreakFastMe
Hi everyone. I would like to intorudce myself just by saying that I am an international student with a specific situation and you are the only last hope, so please be so kind to help me with your suggestions as much as possible.
The thing is that I have already applied to 4 places, BUT to the MEDICINE. And this means that my personal statement and reference are focused on the medicine and not economics. Do not ask why, but everything changed in my life and now I am currently studying ECONOMICS in university and I understood that I really love this subject, that is why I chose to apply to EConomics couse in UK. Talking about my grades- I have Average 10 in all secondary-school subjects, my state exams: Maths 93 percent, English 99 percent, Lithuanina language 99 percent, Chemistry and Biology 97 percent and the average of all exams- 97 percent. I really want to get into Economics school- into a good university, but my PS and reference are not related to EConomics. What do you suggest? What about Warwick? Is it possible to get there? In which unis I should apply? I will be waiting for your answers so much. I can only make the last choice...

I believe Durham let you write an alternate Personal Statement.
Reply 828
I'm going into Year 13 this year. I got A(Maths), C(Chemistry), C(Economics,possibly going to a B after remark) and C(Biology, possibly B after remark) in my AS exams. My predicted grades are most likely going to be AAB with a chance of getting ABB. What universities do you recommend I apply to? I was thinking, Surrey, Queen Marys, City, Manchester. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 829
Original post by Faiz_M
I'm going into Year 13 this year. I got A(Maths), C(Chemistry), C(Economics,possibly going to a B after remark) and C(Biology, possibly B after remark) in my AS exams. My predicted grades are most likely going to be AAB with a chance of getting ABB. What universities do you recommend I apply to? I was thinking, Surrey, Queen Marys, City, Manchester. Thanks for the help :smile:

I know this is a bit too late but I got BCCD at my AS and I got offers from Queen Mary, City, and SOAS with grade requirements averaging from AAB-AAA. An excellent reference and personal statement can get you far. Although don't be so ambitious as I changed my application from Brunel to UCL as soon as i got my offer from City university 2 days later and got rejected immediately.
I see this is pinned by hasn't been posted in for like 5 months so I'll post anyway.

Got a few questions:

1. What are the universities views if it take Further Maths AS (FP1, S2, D1) during a Gap Year? Would this mean I'd have taken A Levels over three years? Note that I'll have obtained 3 A2 Levels by then and i'll just be taking Further Maths in my Gap Year, no resits of any other modules.

2. Would a subject combination at A2 of Biology, Chemistry and Maths put me at a disadvantage? I'll probably get a B in AS Physics at the rate I'm going at now.

I intend to apply to universities such as LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick etc.
Original post by SteelCookie
I see this is pinned by hasn't been posted in for like 5 months so I'll post anyway.

Got a few questions:

1. What are the universities views if it take Further Maths AS (FP1, S2, D1) during a Gap Year? Would this mean I'd have taken A Levels over three years? Note that I'll have obtained 3 A2 Levels by then and i'll just be taking Further Maths in my Gap Year, no resits of any other modules.

2. Would a subject combination at A2 of Biology, Chemistry and Maths put me at a disadvantage? I'll probably get a B in AS Physics at the rate I'm going at now.

I intend to apply to universities such as LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick etc.

Taking AS Further Maths during a Gap Year will only boost your application. However maybe you could push yourself to take A2 Further Maths too. It's not too difficult to get an A, as long as do well in FP1, S2 (90 UMS+).

Try not to get a B in AS Physics even if you're dropping it. Good universities like Oxbridge/LSE etc may not be willing to accept you. A B really does ruin an application. Also try get at least 1 A*, specifically in Maths.

Also so how were your GCSEs?
Original post by Revision Notes
Taking AS Further Maths during a Gap Year will only boost your application. However maybe you could push yourself to take A2 Further Maths too. It's not too difficult to get an A, as long as do well in FP1, S2 (90 UMS+).

Try not to get a B in AS Physics even if you're dropping it. Good universities like Oxbridge/LSE etc may not be willing to accept you. A B really does ruin an application. Also try get at least 1 A*, specifically in Maths.

Also so how were your GCSEs?

I got 6 A*, 1 A and 3 B's. The B in AS Physics is all but confirmed in a way. Unless the grade boundaries for the ISA somehow are lenient in my favour.
Original post by SteelCookie
I got 6 A*, 1 A and 3 B's. The B in AS Physics is all but confirmed in a way. Unless the grade boundaries for the ISA somehow are lenient in my favour.

Ah okay
Reply 834
In the beginning of this thread, 2008, Warwick figured much lower than it figures now - what has changed in the past 6 years? Anyone from Warwick to tell us?
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice
Anyone applied for Economics & Management at Oxford?

I am considering applying for Economics and Management at Oxford and King's (not in this cycle) and Economics, Finance and Management at QMUL (or E & M at Royal Holloway). Then straight management at UCL and LSE.

How would I tailor my PS to cater for all of these? Realistically, if my PS mentions Economics AND Management will it hurt my chances at UCL and LSE if I go for only Management there? They don't offer E & M sadly.

What other unis did you apply to and for what courses? I know a lot of other people apply to Economics at other unis as well at E & M at Oxford. Should my PS basically be half Economics and half management?
Hi, anyone know what english unis I can get into with these grades?
I'm from Scotland and in my int 2s I got 8As. In my highers I got 5As and three of them were A1s in maths, English and business and I got two A2s in French and history.
Next year I am planning on taking Advanced higher maths, business and French and a higher in economics.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending