The Student Room Group

CURRENT YEAR 12s - Hopeful Medics

Hi, this thread is for hopeful medicine applicants for UCAS entry 2013 - who are starting year 12 this September.

Feel free to introduce yourself and ask any questions which we can hopefully discuss together. Common discussions seem to be on work experience, AS level choices and general chit-chat.

Also, check out the current year 12 thread for less specific and more relaxed conversation (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1708485).
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wahoooo! :biggrin:
Reply 2
What has everyone been doing in relation to work experience?

Edit: How this got negative rep is bonkers!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by fletchdd02

What has everyone been doing in relation to work experience?

I'm currently applying to be a volunteer at my local hospital and am waiting for the paperwork to go through. It's not work experience but I think it'll be useful in terms of getting a bit of insight into medicine.

I did a fortnight at a GPs practice in year 10 as part of my school work experience. you?
Reply 4
Original post by senz72

Original post by senz72
Ah, I'm not sure anymore. I have a huge interest in medecine but not sure grades are up to scratch. But oh well, I'm sure everyone else will be excellent medics!

But how do you know you're grades aren't good enough if you haven't got your results yet. you never know you could do better than expected. if you have a huge interest you shouldn't give up =]
Reply 5
Hey :biggrin:
Reply 6
:bl:

Medicine hopeful 2013 as well.

I also need advice about what places to do work experience.
Reply 7
Original post by Natalie21

why, hello there :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by oli_G
why, hello there :biggrin:

good idea of starting a thread, I was just thinking why there isn't one :L
Reply 9
Original post by oli_G
I'm currently applying to be a volunteer at my local hospital and am waiting for the paperwork to go through. It's not work experience but I think it'll be useful in terms of getting a bit of insight into medicine.

I did a fortnight at a GPs practice in year 10 as part of my school work experience. you?

Done 2 weeks at a specially designed hospital programme.

On Wednesday I finish my exams so i'm going to ring Care homes, consultants, GPs, everyone! :biggrin:
Hiya :smile:
what sort of GCSES do you think you'll get?
im so worried my gcses may let me down
Reply 11

Original post by whitemagesonia
well, i love any aspect of science and am intrigued by the workings of modern medicine. Although I spoke to the head of admissions during my interview for Sixth Form in which she asked me about this 'passion' I'd written about on my application. She was very discouraging, even saying that she didn't mean to 'pour cold water on my dreams', but that what I said would be 'insufficient' to get into med school.

So now, I'm just questioning whether I'm capable or not...:frown:

dont listen to her, some teachers are bitchy like that. Dont doubt yourself yet, there is still a long way to go! Make your aim to prove her wrong! :smile:
Reply 13

Done 2 weeks at a specially designed hospital programme.

On Wednesday I finish my exams so i'm going to ring Care homes, consultants, GPs, everyone! :biggrin:

I'm jelly. I don't finish mine till the 27th :L After talking to a friend, who's parents are both doctors, apparently the types of work experience/volunteering that are often neglected are working with old people and kids. So a care home would be a good idea.

If you want do do anything at hospital you have to do loads and loads of paperwork etc. It'd ridiculous D:
Reply 14
Original post by AishaTara
Hiya :smile:
what sort of GCSES do you think you'll get?
im so worried my gcses may let me down

I'm just hoping for 5 A*s because that is generally the minimum amount over the board, obviously not including Bristol, Kings and Birmingham :smile:

Hiya :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Zazuwaved

Original post by Zazuwaved
:bl:

Medicine hopeful 2013 as well.

I also need advice about what places to do work experience.

Hospital, GPs, Carehome, Hospice, Charity shop, Beavers/Brownies?

Just call up some places and ask them about their policies =]
I'm just hoping for 5 A*s because that is generally the minimum amount over the board, obviously not including Bristol, Kings and Birmingham :smile:

Kings and Bham are the main two I want to go too :'(
5 I'd like as a minimum yes.
Reply 18
Original post by oli_G
I'm jelly. I don't finish mine till the 27th :L After talking to a friend, who's parents are both doctors, apparently the types of work experience/volunteering that are often neglected are working with old people and kids. So a care home would be a good idea.

If you want do do anything at hospital you have to do loads and loads of paperwork etc. It'd ridiculous D:

Ooo unlucky.

Yeah i've got a few contacts that i'm going to follow up and try get something from.

I know it's health and safety gone mad :frown:
Reply 19
Anyone got History tomorrow? I'm ****ting myself D:

Latest

Trending

Trending