The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Fresher - Ask me anything!

Procrastinating from work, bored out of my mind, so here it goes...

I'm a First Year at the University of Sheffield, ask me a question if you wish.
I can answer about accommodation, changing subjects and a load of other things, so go for it, however silly the question! :smile:
Any concerns about the university, applying to it or anything, whether it be how popular courses are, opportunities available, general atmosphere, freshers week or even grades or special circumstances upon getting in, ask me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what subject do you study,
what is required to pass modules/the year?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Are the parties good? :cool:
Reply 3
How much do you pay for your acommodation? What do you study? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by vabbian
what subject do you study,
what is required to pass modules/the year?

I'm currently studying LLB Law, I love it. It's hard work, but most degrees are!
The current requirement to pass is 40%. Also, first year grades are important, as employers may look at them, but they are not part of your overall degree grades. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Rock_and_roll
Are the parties good? :cool:

They are! Sheffield is definitely a fun place to go. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Valentas
How much do you pay for your acommodation? What do you study? :biggrin:

I pay £4950ish per year, inclusive of a double bed (huge room), ensuite bathroom (also very big), unlimited bills (heating, electricity, water and so on), internet provided, large living area and kitchen and so on. The only thing that isn't provided is a phone line. :frown:
Reply 7
Do you know how popular the Sociology course is?

How is the general atmosphere?

How is the campus, is it altogether? (didn't get a chance 2 go)

And how is the SU and societies?

Are the lecturers good and supportive?

Sorry for all the questions, it just that I can't decide between this uni and another for my firm choice.
Reply 8
is accommodation included in the like £9000 it is going to become or separate? :O
40% seems an awfully low percentage needed to pass!
I'm guessing its really difficult work then?
are you given grades or is it just either a pass/fail?
Reply 9
Sorry If Im Hijacking your thread, need something to distract me from my hangover that isnt fun fun bio medical work.

Original post by vabbian
is accommodation included in the like £9000 it is going to become or separate? :O

This is the course fee, your accommodation has always been paid on top of this. It has always been separate and is at every university.
Original post by vabbian

Yeah, the first year depending on your course seems so far quite straightforward to at least pass if you got into the university. However do you really want to scrape 40%? Or actually set up a good work ethic for next year.
Original post by vabbian

Depends on your course. I do biology and the work is fairly intense. Alot of it for my course at least is work you should be doing on your own. Shouldnt really put you off a course though, I still manage to go out at least 3 times a week but my work ethic isn't great.
Original post by vabbian

Yes you are, however they do not count to your final grade. The first year is essentially pass or fail.
Original post by Jivi

No idea sorry. I've met a few people who do it so you wouldn't be on your own.
Original post by Jivi

Very, very good. If you visit for an Open day you will see. Theres a reason why the SU is the best in the country.
Original post by Jivi

It seems to be all in one place, depending on your course you could be nearer or further from the SU. No more than a 10-15 minute walk though.
Original post by Jivi

Mine are yes. Obviously lecturers are people, so vary quite a bit.
Original post by Jivi

Sorry for all the questions, it just that I can't decide between this uni and another for my firm choice.

I firmed Sheffield over a UCL place and have never once regretted that decision. I have even met people from other "higher up" universities like UCL who dropped out from the first year to come here instead.

Just dont get caught up in the whole University League tables. You would be going to a leading Russel Group university with an amazing Student Union, in a city with vibrant nightlife and plenty to keep you distracted.
Reply 10
Thanks for the reply!!!
Wahh that is so much money then! Looking at around £50/60k for a 4 year course D:
Oh god. Thats a hell of alot of money. Oh shiiiiiit
Screw the government. :angry:
Reply 11
Original post by lizolove
Procrastinating from work, bored out of my mind, so here it goes...

I'm a First Year at the University of Sheffield, ask me a question if you wish.
I can answer about accommodation, changing subjects and a load of other things, so go for it, however silly the question! :smile:
Any concerns about the university, applying to it or anything, whether it be how popular courses are, opportunities available, general atmosphere, freshers week or even grades or special circumstances upon getting in, ask me!

Can I ask you anything? :P

P.s. get back to work!!! :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by vabbian
Thanks for the reply!!!
Wahh that is so much money then! Looking at around £50/60k for a 4 year course D:
Oh god. Thats a hell of alot of money. Oh shiiiiiit
Screw the government. :angry:

The OP is in the deluxe accommodation which is why the rent is slightly inflated but Sheffield first year flats are newly built so they are almost all en suite and pretty expensive, but worth it.

I live in the older shared bathroom accommodation and pay £3'800 a year if that gives you a better idea of things at all? The rents significantly drop in the second year when you move into student houses though, I have recently signed for one for £55/week for next year. Sheffield is definitely worth it though!
Reply 13
Original post by AmiB
The OP is in the deluxe accommodation which is why the rent is slightly inflated but Sheffield first year flats are newly built so they are almost all en suite and pretty expensive, but worth it.

I live in the older shared bathroom accommodation and pay £3'800 a year if that gives you a better idea of things at all? The rents significantly drop in the second year when you move into student houses though, I have recently signed for one for £55/week for next year. Sheffield is definitely worth it though!

55? Where are you moving too?
Reply 14
Original post by Jivi

Sociology is quite popular. Almost all places in Sheffield are filled, but moving from department to department e.g. Moving from Geography to Sociology is often normal. Some courses such as Spanish and Medicine here are always oversubscribed however. So if you mean, is it popular as in 'If it is popular, I stand a small chance at getting in' that is totally untrue. :smile:

The atmosphere is lovely, the people are just so friendly, it felt like home after a few weeks. I can't wait to get back there! (Staying at home currently for Christmas). I love that they don't make you move your things out of accommodation at Christmas like some universities (Liverpool) do. :smile:

Campus for accommodation is split into 3, Endcliffe (the big one), Ranmoor (the slightly quieter and less densely populated) and Opal (in town, appeals to some as it requires less walking to get from places). As for the campus, the departments are all down one huge road, about 20 minutes walk from Endcliffe or 25 from Ranmoor. The SU is the same. If this is bad for you, you can get the bus with your student card for 50p. :wink: (I know!)

The SU has been voted the best in the UK for several years in a row, with there being about 3 different cafes, a few bars, a huge hall made into a club thing every Wednesday, a fancy dress shop, a clothing shop, a huge food shop, a salad deli, a job shop, student support, prayer rooms, bars, offices, quiet rooms, a ticket office for local events, an activity zone, a food court, sofas dotted about and I won't forget the Ben and Jerry's vending machine. :wink:
It is massive. If you check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL_yc_NKN5A, it will show you about half of the union, seriously, half if that. It is massive.

The lecturers are. They all have offices hours each week, so you can visit them with any issues. You are also given a residential mentor in accommodation, so you can get phone numbers and information when they do their weekly visit to your flat. Also, you get a personal mentor who you can talk to about personal issues at home, worries about the course and so on. The support is great. :smile:

No worries. Although, my advice to you would be, you don't have to decide until May, so don't do anything yet. Wait until you get an offer (presuming you have), visit the open day they have in Feb/March and see if you like it. Genuinely, it'll feel as weird as, but you will know then whether it is right for you. Sheffield was the only university I properly saw, but I loved it, so that's why I chose it.

Also, every course has the opportunity to study abroad for a year here, so that was pretty impressive. There are so many opportunities here, that kind of encouraged me here too. You have so much time, so don't worry until you visit. :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by vabbian

I presume it'll be separate. Course fees will be about £9000/year, but these are automatically paid for if you apply for student finance. If you check "Student Finance 2012-2013" on the Government website, it'll tell you all you need to know.

40% is low, but Law degrees are FAR from easy. 70% is a first, and that is rare.
No, no, grades in every university are:

First
2:1
2:2
Pass
Fail

No worries!
Reply 16
Original post by AmiB
Can I ask you anything? :P

P.s. get back to work!!! :wink:

But Amyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. ):
I forget who everyone is on here, but I am guessing you're Amy as in my bummit buddy. :tongue:
If not, woah, I just embarrassed myself.

NB: Bummit is a charity organisation in Sheffield, not a strange club of some sort. (':
How are the dubstep raves?
Reply 18
Original post by AmiB

Damn straight.

Single accommodation with an en-suite is about £4600, but mine is £4950.
Shared is what Amy said. (;

Don't worry about finance if you are reading this. Obviously see what you are entitled to and work it from there, but Sheffield makes you eligible for bursaries automatically in some circumstances, so you can get £250-£1000 extra per year. Also, the student job shop gives you jobs that can help raise a bit of money.

My advice would be to save as much as possible before going, possibly in the region of £200 - it will be a god send.
Do you know anything about the English Literature course? It's just that it looks like I'll probably end up at Sheffield (I'm waiting for a reply from Cambridge atm, but I don't have much faith in receiving an offer) and I'm not entirely sure whether, academically, it's the place for me: I'm pretty sure that it is in regards to the rest of uni life. It would be interesting to know the views of anyone you know who's studying it, as I don't want to firm a course that's poorly taught or anything like that :/ (Basically, I want insider information!)

By the way, this is a really useful thread - thank you! I'll have to think up some more questions to ask :smile: