The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

grip 1
Reply 6401
Original post by Brotherhood
Ugh, had three hours sleep revising for this B&F exam in two hours. Just finished a chapter on and have learnt the entire UK Corporate Governance Code (2010). ****ing Accountancy.

Played Skyward Sword at all?
Reply 6402
Original post by Megaloblastic
I have my pinky finger on the ring

SNAP.
Reply 6403
Pinky finger on the ring too.

Grip width is supposed to be a function of height and shoulder width though so if you're short you should have a narrower grip usually.
All you guys basically have the same grip then mostly at number 3.

For close grip Bench how close do you change to? 1 or 2? or Even closer?
Original post by MHorman

3 normal

1/2 for close
Original post by MHorman

Even closer I think. So my elbows go directly down next to my body. My training partner does it with about an inch between his hands, but I feel like it places too much pressure on my wrists.

I have a squat question actually. I find that I physically can't get down far enough on my squats. It's not that I won't, my knees just refuse to allow me down any further. Will stretching solve this?
Original post by tommy1311
Even closer I think. So my elbows go directly down next to my body. My training partner does it with about an inch between his hands, but I feel like it places too much pressure on my wrists.

I have a squat question actually. I find that I physically can't get down far enough on my squats. It's not that I won't, my knees just refuse to allow me down any further. Will stretching solve this?

Make sure you are sitting back to start the squat, not bending your knees first. And push your knees out to the side, hard.
Original post by Megaloblastic
Make sure you are sitting back to start the squat, not bending your knees first. And push your knees out to the side, hard.

How d'you mean? Pushing my arse backwards before bending my knees?
How d'you mean? Pushing my arse backwards before bending my knees?

push back with your hips, good way to learn this concept is mimic an rdl motion and try push your hips back
Original post by Gallium
push back with your hips, good way to learn this concept is mimic an rdl motion and try push your hips back

I've just had a pop there, and it's the hip joint which doesn't allow me to go far, not my knees.
Reply 6411
I used to go for grip No. 4 but after 6 months I have finally realized which grip is the most suitable .. for the last two workouts I have used somewhere between 3 and 2. No shoulder or RC pain whatsoever .
I've just had a pop there, and it's the hip joint which doesn't allow me to go far, not my knees.

You dont have to stick your ass all the way back throughout the squat, just start the squat by sticking your ass backwards then a split second later you squat down.... if that makes any sense lol
Reply 6413
On a + side.. I think I have figured out why my squat was not progressing at all lol.. on descending phase I used to go slow and steady so I didn't bounce at all and rolling the sleeves up worsened it..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ibysaiyan
On a + side.. I think I have figured out why my squat was not progressing at all lol.. on descending phase I used to go slow and steady so I didn't bounce at all and rolling the sleeves up worsened it..

used to do this till few weeks back, now my squat is progressing nicely :wink:
Reply 6415
Original post by ibysaiyan

Bouncing is not a necessity for squatting.
Still hurts to bend my arms :colonhash:

What are the best pre-workout stretches to do?
Original post by paddy__power
Still hurts to bend my arms :colonhash:

What are the best pre-workout stretches to do?

What's the issue?

To warm-up shoulders I do 3 sets of this: http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/introducing-the-shoulder-tornado-the-best-shoulder-warm-up-you-arent-doing/

Mostly me being a complete fanny these days. In a very rare burst of motivation I suddenly picked up the one dumbbell I have and did a load of curls and shoulder presses and such (it is only 15k) but clearly my arms did not appreciate it and now my tris are killing me, I can't bend more than a 90 degree angle. My shoulders feel fine (but that is just because the shoulder part of the workout was easy) so I will do the tornado. Are those band things worth buying then?
Original post by paddy__power
Mostly me being a complete fanny these days. In a very rare burst of motivation I suddenly picked up the one dumbbell I have and did a load of curls and shoulder presses and such (it is only 15k) but clearly my arms did not appreciate it and now my tris are killing me, I can't bend more than a 90 degree angle. My shoulders feel fine (but that is just because the shoulder part of the workout was easy) so I will do the tornado. Are those band things worth buying then?

Ages ago I bought some resistance bands but they are different to what he is using. If you can find a decent deal for them I do think they have their uses.

If not, you can just do some light dumbbell rotator cuff work and then use a broom or something to do shoulder dislocates (2nd movement).

Latest