The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deceiver
For the moments question (part b), does it matter if I multiplied by answer by 9.8 at the end and got rid of the g?

It represents the same thing so I'm sure that's okay. It's just nicer to write it in terms of g.
Reply 181
Original post by Gibberish
How many marks would I get for the moments question if I got it all right just didn't inclue g?

Anybody know how he'd do?
Reply 182
Ah didn't do too well :frown:
Reply 183
For the moments question (part b), does it matter if I multiplied by answer by 9.8 at the end and got rid of the g?

did u time g on the other side as well....the question did strictly ask for the rxn and not g(rxn).....I think you should be fine as you would of written the answer they want above :wink:
Reply 184
Original post by ms93

Looking through this thread it seems that every othe person posting is in the same boat as you mate, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be kind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know if you get penalised for using the wrong units? Say it's km/h and you use m/s?
Original post by ms93

Same. but you can always retake it again. i think i'm going to have to :rolleyes:
Oh. :smile: I did better than I thought I did.

But does anyone know how marks I'd get for the last question, 8c, for using the right method but working out the acceleration incorrectly and therefore getting the wrong distance? (I got 16 metres oops!) :colondollar:
Reply 188
Original post by Rahul.S
by boy extricated got 100 in this :colone: you and him should be playing SNAP :tongue:

lol thanks. btw congrats on the cambridge offer and good luck in meeting it!
Original post by Arsey
I haven't really thought about boundaries yet, but my first reaction is that they will be high

It could be far lower than expected, remember that alot of the Winter candidates are'nt always as prepared as they could be. Similarly it is only when they gain their UCAS offers that they become truly motivated to achieve success.

Some of the candidates were merely flicking through their scripts after about one hour:rolleyes: Much the same with other friends at other centres too. Which does suggest that they'll ensure boundaries are slightly lower than expected. The moments question especially was one of debate that caused alot of difficulties.

Most candidates are not as prepared and even more so with the 'intensity' of the January 2012 exam dates...just exam after exam with no days in between to rest at all. It was a rather different paper, that required some thought in some questions.

Probably 60-65 for an A grade? When you consider all those that were demoralised by their other exams and the lack of time to fully prepare etc...also remember that the vast majority resit M1 almost always before certificating. M1 and C4 are the two units that are the two units most tend to resit more than any others.

Do you still think the boundaries will be high? Also factor in that the TSR forum is well above average...far from a reflection of the rest of the country. Although if a candidate had prepared well, then it would result in a good A grade no doubt. Even so, there were still alot of A* and A grade candidates that were not as prepared as they could be. Some made alot of mistakes errors etc whilst others were already discussing how they should have entered for the Summer session only...whilst others were discussing a focus on D1, S1, S2 or D2 as their applied units and had no desire to continue M1.
Reply 190
Original post by loyan
I forgot to remove the force in question 8c but did everything else in the right way. Forgetting the force gave me a different value for the mu(NR) figure and gave me a value of 64.3m in the end. I only had a few seconds left at the time so didn't get a chance to reread it. How many marks do you think I lost for that?

Loads of people made mistakes on that question, so probe only a couple of marks will be lost.
Reply 191

Nope, that should be fine. The marking scheme would show 17/12mg, or 833/60m.
Original post by iamglass
Same. but you can always retake it again. i think i'm going to have to :rolleyes:

The examiners reports cite how they're seeing an ever increasing number of candidates for the Winter session, with almost all resitting. M1 is one of the units that is most often a resit alongside C4 to ensure an overall A or A* grade respectively.

Most of the centres only sit the exams in the Summer session, so this Winter session really should'nt make you too depressed. I found it rather amusing and disturbing of the candidates in the exam hall simply turning the pages in their scripts...or simply sitting there are staring at their papers.

60 or 65 for an A grade?
Reply 193
this paper was vile. i didnt even finish it...neither did most of the people from my college...
Original post by small'un
this paper was vile. i didnt even finish it...neither did most of the people from my college...

how many were flicking through the pages or their scripts? or simply staring at the wall ahead or at their script :rolleyes: not something seen in any exam in quite sometime...lower boundaries than expected for sure
Original post by loyan
Do you reckon? I hope so but still quite worried. I messed up that question because I forgot to remove the force so resolving gave me a different value. The question for the boats I did everything right but I thing I subtracted 3 from 10.5 to get 7.5km. I also did the time above 33/5m by finding the speed at 33/5m then using that as the initla speed, used 0 as the displacement and -9.8 for acc but got the same result in the end. Would that be alright.

Alot of people forgot to remove the component of P perpendicular to the slope, so came out with an answer around 16 I think. I thought the paper was okay, would have preferred 7 questions with a a big question with a pulley or something. I thought it was a bit of a boring paper tbh.

For the vector question it looks like you made the mistake right at the end, so you will only loose a few marks.

I did the same and it came out with the same answer. Either method is correct, its just splitting up the question into two parts to ensure you know what your working with :smile:
easiest paper ever finished in 40 minutes
Reply 197
Original post by intellectual1
...lower boundaries than expected for sure

i think so too, the boundaries might come a bit down. too many people have lost marks here and there.
Reply 198
Original post by intellectual1
It could be far lower than expected, remember that alot of the Winter candidates are'nt always as prepared as they could be. Similarly it is only when they gain their UCAS offers that they become truly motivated to achieve success.

Some of the candidates were merely flicking through their scripts after about one hour:rolleyes: Much the same with other friends at other centres too. Which does suggest that they'll ensure boundaries are slightly lower than expected. The moments question especially was one of debate that caused alot of difficulties.

Most candidates are not as prepared and even more so with the 'intensity' of the January 2012 exam dates...just exam after exam with no days in between to rest at all. It was a rather different paper, that required some thought in some questions.

Probably 60-65 for an A grade? When you consider all those that were demoralised by their other exams and the lack of time to fully prepare etc...also remember that the vast majority resit M1 almost always before certificating. M1 and C4 are the two units that are the two units most tend to resit more than any others.

Do you still think the boundaries will be high? Also factor in that the TSR forum is well above average...far from a reflection of the rest of the country. Although if a candidate had prepared well, then it would result in a good A grade no doubt. Even so, there were still alot of A* and A grade candidates that were not as prepared as they could be. Some made alot of mistakes errors etc whilst others were already discussing how they should have entered for the Summer session only...whilst others were discussing a focus on D1, S1, S2 or D2 as their applied units and had no desire to continue M1.

Hi
I have read a few of your posts and with all due respect, many of them are not factually correct. Many students who sit this exam are on a schedule of 12+ units in two years and the January sitting is often a prime opportunity for good candidates and good schools to get pupils through the modules they need to.
I appreciate you are looking it from a students view but your experience is not in keeping with many other candidates or schools.
I have had some of my pupils (at 3 different schools) on a schedule of C1/C2/M1/S1 in a January session (and more) and they, along with many others, do not fall into the bracket you stated.
In a previous post(s) you suggested all exams were now harder. This again shows that thought process is not correct with this M1 being fairly straightforward apart from the last 5 marks.
I would suggest that paper has been sitting on Edexcels system for far longer than Goves manifestos have been in place. (The ones you have referred to in previous posts). The difficulty of papers is not by design as Im sure if they dished up a 2009 January M1 paper this time around people would be taking up basket weaving and dropping maths.
I don't mean to sound rude or cause offence. :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by battsa
You might lose 1 or 2 marks maybe? And I crossed out something that was correct for question 8, sucks doesn't it? :P

I've read on a C2 mark scheme's general marking guidance section in the beginning, that any crossed out work MUST be marked unless other answers are given. So I'm quite sure this applies to all examinations. So, don't worry :biggrin: