Hi, I have currently enrolled for 7 subjects for my AS Levels:

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
English Language and Literature
Business Studies

However, it seems that it is recommended to take only 3-4 subjects.

Do you think it's feasible to do that many?

Scroll to see replies

What do you want to do at university?

I wouldn't recommend so much, especially since the coursework for those subjects would make you eat your fingers (i'd assume... i don't do those subjects but i doubt they are purely exam based)
Reply 2
Original post by jaenvin

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
Business Studies

Not sure on how feasible it is- that depends on your capacity. That said, however, I think it's a waste of time unless you actually WANT to do that many.
Well, with those subjects, you'll either have to spend the entirety of your next 2 years doing coursework/essays/project work, or you're gunna fail.

Personally i think you're commiting suicide, but the choice is yours.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. It's just that I have the tendency to like to "over" take subjects.

It's a "do-all-or-do-nothing" situation.

But I think I may drop a few, just in case I can't find sufficient time for all of them.
Depends on you , it is going to be hard so I'd suggest to do 4 but it is ultimately your choice. I'd also point out that you have 6 soft subjects , i'd consider doing less of those if I wanted to go to Uni especially a good one.
Reply 6
Original post by jaenvin

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
Business Studies

Why take so many converging subjects? I take it you like art and creativeness and the like, but that many is a lot.
I've halfway through my 6 AS subjects (maths, further maths, chemistry, biology, french and japanese) and EPQ. And frankly I regret not refining my options and doing 3 or 4.
Universities aren't supposed to care whether you do 3 or 30 so in a way its better to pick less and get higher grades in them than it is to dilute your time and therefore your grades between 7 subjects.
But then again, I'm one to talk.
Reply 7
There will be lots of coursework and assignments for the subjects I have chosen, but I guess it comes down purely to interest.

I am and was never a Mathematics or Science person, and would never be able to do 6 subjects, if they included Maths, and Sciences in them, so good for you!
Reply 8
You really, really don't need that many especially since your creative choices are really interlinked.

In Fine Art, you have the opportunity for photography if you want quite regularly as part of experiments/developments or even for a final piece, so you don't need really need Photography, you also have to opportunity for textile based projects within art so you don't need Textiles either. Graphics is okay (although I may be biased), but this as well it's not completely necessary either because if even if you want to go on to study Graphics at Uni you only need art. You are better of focussing on 4 subjects and getting great grades, while being able to do extra-curricular and art based volunteering (which I assume is the subject you are interested in) which would look good, rather than having 7 subjects where your grades may not be the best and having nothing else to include but your subjects when applying to Uni because you had no time.

You should be fine with just these:
Fine Art
Art History
Business Studies

:smile:
My cousin did 7 A levels and a degree at Oxford.
He is currently unemployed and spends all his time on world of warcraft.
Just focus on the ones that you enjoy the most and need for what you want to do - otherwise you will work yourself into the ground :smile:
You want to do like 5 coursework subjects? good luck.

Uni's only require 3/4 A-Levels, 4 or 5 is arguably not advisable, but 7?.
Reply 11
think about workload!
Reply 12
Original post by jaenvin

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
Business Studies

well, most unis will only count fine art and english as proper subjects, and possibly history of art, so you're really doing two/three subjects and four/five 'others'. why bother doing the others? the arty ones you can do in your spare time.

and why are you starting a-levels aged 19?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jaenvin

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
Business Studies

I can't believe how many replies are not saying this is a TERRIBLE IDEA?!

A Levels are not the same as GCSEs - each subject requires a lot more time dedicated to it. Especially with the arty subjects you are considering there will be a lot of coursework.

My college doesn't recommend taking any more than 5 subjects at AS, and that is only for the very capable students.

3 - 5 subjects depending on how capable you honestly think you are, imo. any more and you will fail dismally.
Original post by jaenvin

Original post by jaenvin

Fine Art
Photography
Graphic Design
Textiles Design
Art History
Business Studies

I wouldn't - purely because they all are all very coursework-based, and that's the thing that's going to sap up all your time.

Spoiler

What's your reason for wanting to do that many? Is it just a matter of liking all of them equally? Or is it because you think having more will 'look good'? If it's the latter: don't. Just don't. There's a REASON unis ask for 3 A-levels - it's because they want 3, and they want you to do well in them. It's not 'We're asking for 3 but secretly only accept people with more than 5' it's just 3.

If you really can't face dropping any - try it. Chances are it'll make life a bit stressful and you'll start resenting your courses - which is not what you want to do. Best of luck with deciding, and I hope you enjoy them once you start :yep:
Original post by jaenvin
Thanks for the advice. It's just that I have the tendency to like to "over" take subjects.

It's a "do-all-or-do-nothing" situation.

But I think I may drop a few, just in case I can't find sufficient time for all of them.

Seriously d 4, 5 maximum, plus there's some overlap between those subjects
Reply 16
My school doesn't allow you to do so many coursework-based subjects (e.g. photography with art with other subjects) because students can't cope. You need to make sure you'll have enough time to work on each of these subjects in order to get a decent grade, which will probably mean zero social life, lack of sleep and a lot of stress. You need to weigh up whether you think it's worth having a couple more A levels for that, because I think you will seriously regret it.

As universities don't require so many A levels, I think it's far better to do around 4 and do well in them, than do 7 and do not so well, as well as having more stress, less sleep and time with friends, etc etc. Some of your subjects overlap a bit so by cutting out a couple you shouldn't be totally avoiding that thing which you enjoy. Think about which you like the best, and which would be best for a career you want. Most schools allow you to switch in the first term of lower sixth if you think you've made a serious mistake so if you find you actually really miss one of your dropped subjects you can switch to it.
Reply 17
Seven is WAY too much, and they are all coursework HEAVY. You'll want to die... Seriously it is NOT worth it. Plus, they all overlap, so it will feel really repetitive after a while. I would recommend

Fine Art
Textiles Design
Art History
English Language and Literature (as one subject if you can)
Business Studies

Any four out of that. Do four, 5 max and if you need a specific subject for uni, take it up in A2.

Having said that, I have technically done 7AS levels, BUT they we over 2 years.
I did:
bio, Chem, Maths and German in my first year
Psych, EPQ and General studies with my A2 (but those two don't really count as there were no lessons)
Reply 18
Someone at my school did, Art & Design, Photography and Textiles and struggled to meet the deadline. You're pretty much doing the same and 4 more. People I know did Art, English Lit and some other essay based subject and seemed to complain as well let alone 4 art subjects and 3 others! You're under-estimating the amount of work involved in each of the art-based subjects to get good grades, lots of all-nighters and no free time! If you're wanting to study art at uni, you dont even need the 4 arty ones, drop photography as it'll be the least useful regardless and IMO only useful if you want to go into photography of some sort. And like someone above posted, the majority of the subjects you've chosen are soft so in simple terms, WHAT'S THE POINT!?!?!?!
Reply 19
Seems a bit pointless to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending