The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dancerwoman
Hmmm. I'm coming down from Bedfordshire but I'm based on the other branch of the First Capital Connect map. I think there was someone else in our section that's also in Hertfordshire somewhere - can't remember who though as it was quite a while back.

It did cross my mind to get a Student Railcard as I'm a full-time (mature) student. I may train it the majority of the time but I'm thinking that on the actual night of the Ceremonies that we may finish late in the night and on that occasion, seriously considering driving down on that night at least.

Think I'm going to train it too most of the time anyway - at least I can just kick back at relax on the train home!

Like you, I'm not sure what to do on the night of the ceremonies - have no idea what time we will get out of the stadium and if there will still be trains running!

First rehearsal one week tomorrow and still no update email!
Original post by tinydancersmum
DD has had Freeds in the past, but had trouble with even the hard shanks snapping. She's been through a few different brands and currently wears Grishkos. If they take a while fitting at least there will be time to chat. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

My older daughter always has Bloch's, which suit the shape of her feet (wider toes, high insteps). In her recent "Swan Lake" the rehearsal stage was filthy so she wore thin socks over them in practice to protect them for the performances (as they are impossible to clean successfully).

We saw the shoe dept at ENB recently, and they order whatever the dancers usually wear. The majority were in GMs (to the shoe mistress's distress as they are twice the price), but some of the girls in "Swan Lake" found GMs less flexible for routines that contained non-pointe steps as well as pointe one.
Hi

Massive Congratulations to those with new offers :biggrin:

Just thought I'd update you, I emailed casting last week as I have work commitments which are starting to become more and more pressing in terms of accepting things. I got this response back...

Hi,

Thanks for your email. We are still making final decisions to do with the casting. Some results emails have been sent out already and others are in the process. We thank you for your patience and we will be in touch within the next couple of weeks.

Kind Regards

Volunteer Casting

Fingers crossed for everyone for this week, can't be that far off now.... ??

x
Original post by Pinnerite
Fantastic news to newbies Danielthompson and Karan D and to complete newbie Anna2012- shame it took you so long to find this incredibly supportive forum! And well done to Karan D bro' who I must say is in the best group of all - not that I am biased in any way of course:wink:. Actually someone else posted last week that they were in 44 BEAT unless that was your bro'. What an excited family you must be to be represented in both ceremonies! Well done all of you!
And a special congrats and welcome back to Pizazz- how could we forget you with a name like that? We missed you at our pink meet-up a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like you have had quite a day - I hope all good? Btw most of us in 44 have 22 rehearsals, some people have nearer 30 but some pointe people have many fewer than you do so just go with the flow and enjoy!

:party2::happy2::congrats::bumps:

I am the other 44-Beat - just totted up, we have 15 rehersals prior to 0-hour commencing 24 May.
Original post by tinydancersmum
DD has had Freeds in the past, but had trouble with even the hard shanks snapping. She's been through a few different brands and currently wears Grishkos. If they take a while fitting at least there will be time to chat. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I'm in Bloch have been for years
Yep hopefully see u Tuesday xx
I've had my first rehearsal, and of course I can't say anything about anything - but the feeling going through my head was: WOW. If possible, I am now even more over the moon that I got in - still on a high. All of you that have got in have I'm sure something incredible to look forward to. I've read through the fine print and I think I'm okay to emote general positive feeling.
Original post by Dancersmum
My older daughter always has Bloch's, which suit the shape of her feet (wider toes, high insteps). In her recent "Swan Lake" the rehearsal stage was filthy so she wore thin socks over them in practice to protect them for the performances (as they are impossible to clean successfully).

We saw the shoe dept at ENB recently, and they order whatever the dancers usually wear. The majority were in GMs (to the shoe mistress's distress as they are twice the price), but some of the girls in "Swan Lake" found GMs less flexible for routines that contained non-pointe steps as well as pointe one.

DD has been through a few different models of Bloch over the years (she liked the Axis TMT the best) and she's had one pair of Gaynors which she hated as being pre arched they made her "pop up" onto pointe and roll through was very difficult - it may depend on the shank strength though - most GM's sold in shops here are supple or extra flex shanks, but I understand that a number of the professional dancers use the softer featherflex or pianissimo shanks so that may be less of a problem. We're just hoping to avoid any blisters, bruised nails etc. Hoping also the shoes cover the rehearsals as well as the performance otherwise it could mean buying extra shoes which as you know don't come cheap. With travel on top and somewhere to stay ceremonies night (trains stop running to our neck of the woods not long after 11pm) I'm saving the pennies now. :smile: :smile:
Congratulations Rocks99, Mastidon,Quark999 :biggrin:
Reply 6108
Original post by aspire_dance
Think I'm going to train it too most of the time anyway - at least I can just kick back at relax on the train home!

Like you, I'm not sure what to do on the night of the ceremonies - have no idea what time we will get out of the stadium and if there will still be trains running!

First rehearsal one week tomorrow and still no update email!

I got my update email Friday and first rehearsal is this week. You will hear, I'm sure. If not, as someone has already posted, they have your acceptance and you already know the date, time and place of your first rehearsal - just turn up.
Original post by Caroline27
I've had my first rehearsal, and of course I can't say anything about anything - but the feeling going through my head was: WOW.

Excellent news! Glad that you are still buzzing about it. I have a long wait til June!
I don't know if I've been added to the spreadsheet, but I auditioned 1st round on 2nd Nov. Instead of within 48 hours, I heard 3 weeks after that I was offered a 2nd round.

I had 2nd round on 1st Dec, then received my offer for Group 80B (closing) on 19th Jan, 7 weeks later. (Which was not bad going considering how long some others have been waiting for!)

I wonder how the pointe shoe fitting is going to work, as I am ordering my shoes from USA at the moment - they are my perfect shoe (but takes at least 2 months to arrive, I have experienced longer). I have a backup Capezio style that I could wear but they're not even available on back order yet.

I'm going for my costume fitting next week so hopefully something will work out for me!

Fish
I've had my first rehearsal, and of course I can't say anything about anything - but the feeling going through my head was: WOW. If possible, I am now even more over the moon that I got in - still on a high. All of you that have got in have I'm sure something incredible to look forward to. I've read through the fine print and I think I'm okay to emote general positive feeling.

yay! I was getting worried that we'd hyped it up too much... I can't wait for my first rehearsal now!

I. Want. To. Rehearse. NOW!

It's like waiting for Christmas again. 40 days until mine start.
Guess I'll have to keep myself busy. Anybody else volunteered for Tate Modern's next Turbine Hall exhibition by Tino Sehgal? I'm attending a workshop today & tomorrow in the hope of having another audition/rehearsal-like experience.
Original post by chinafish
I don't know if I've been added to the spreadsheet, but I auditioned 1st round on 2nd Nov. Instead of within 48 hours, I heard 3 weeks after that I was offered a 2nd round.

I had 2nd round on 1st Dec, then received my offer for Group 80B (closing) on 19th Jan, 7 weeks later. (Which was not bad going considering how long some others have been waiting for!)

I wonder how the pointe shoe fitting is going to work, as I am ordering my shoes from USA at the moment - they are my perfect shoe (but takes at least 2 months to arrive, I have experienced longer). I have a backup Capezio style that I could wear but they're not even available on back order yet.

I'm going for my costume fitting next week so hopefully something will work out for me!

Fish

No you are not on Flakeydom's spreadsheet as this is you first post but she will add it I am sure - we are keeping her busy at the moment! Congrats on your
role - tiny dancer (see tinydancersmum) is also in that group. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

PS I had my second audition for acting on 1st December and I remember chatting to a pointe dancer in the freezing cold outside..
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh bwahahaha I just noticed that I've only just done my 1st post! I've PMed a few people and I've read this thread for months so I don't feel like I was new!! :colondollar:
Many congrats to rocks 99 and newbies Mastidon and Quark999 for your roles in 44 FOP. Glad there will be plenty of utility types helping out we regular 44ers! I wonder what your exact roles will be - or indeed ours. Welcome to the 44ers in any case! We are growing larger by the minute...:beer::beer::beer:

Fish

Hello Fish!
After your kind words via inbox my daughter had a great time at the audition and is in group 80B too.:smile:
The shoe situation will be very interesting. For non ballet dancers reading the thread the pre occupation the pointe dancers have with shoes may be confusing.:confused::confused::confused:

Pointe shoes have to be so close fitting and suit the exact foot shape and strength of the individual dancer that there are multiple, widths, box shapes,shank strengths etc and most brands of shoe are still handmade.You don't dance in shoes that "nearly fit" as this can cause damage to the feet. Pointe shoes don't have a wooden block in the bottom they are more like canvas and glue papier mache with layers of cardboard and leather inside the sole (shank) of the shoe to give support. The average lifespan of a pointe shoe "in use" is 8 hours and the shoe becomes soft, breaks down and no longer gives enough support for the dancer to maintain the pointe position.

See you tomorrow Fish :smile:
Oh bwahahaha I just noticed that I've only just done my 1st post! I've PMed a few people and I've read this thread for months so I don't feel like I was new!! :colondollar:

Flakeydom is fantastic but I don't think she is psychic :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::biggrin: but I am glad you have finally joined our forum officially!!! Good luck with the pointe shoes - and thanks for the explanation tinydancersmum
Original post by commonliner
I. Want. To. Rehearse. NOW!

It's like waiting for Christmas again. 40 days until mine start.
Guess I'll have to keep myself busy. Anybody else volunteered for Tate Modern's next Turbine Hall exhibition by Tino Sehgal? I'm attending a workshop today & tomorrow in the hope of having another audition/rehearsal-like experience.

that sounds epic. How do you find out about cool stuff like that?!
Hey Everyone,

Been lurking around here for the last six weeks or so, and found it very useful
in re-assuring myself that it wasn't just me who hadn't heard anything
from the Olympic folks.

So I thought I should comment now that I have actually heard (to keep the facts flowing in...)

Anyhow, some facts for "the spreadsheet"

First Audition: Wed 15th Feb 2012 - 18:30
Recall Audition: Sun 19th Feb 2012 - 10am

Also for the spreadsheet... My Dad also auditionned on Wed 15th Feb 2012, and had a recall on Saturday 18th Feb 2012, but he hasn't heard yet (apart from the email two weeks ago saying they would let us know in two weeks)

I just heard back yesterday (15th April - So two months from 1st audition) that I am another Segment 44 Group FOP person for the Olympic Opening Ceremony. (Exciting stuff!)

It says it is this:

"This is an essential utility role which will deliver the key spectacular
sequence in the Olympic Ceremony. This is a role which is less performance
based but without which a very key moment will not happen."

Which my dad reckons means we are either responsible for picking up the litter
or sweeping the floor behind the dancers.

Crazy number of auditions for that though. 21 auditions between 1st May and the ceremony on Friday 27th July (20 in June and July). So I am at least hopeful that my skills as a "litter pickerupper" will be pretty world class by then!

Can anyone comment (who has had the first orientation) if the ACTUAL training schedule they were originally emailed, was the same as what they were allocated when they had the first orientation?

Or if there in fact less training days in reality?

I just totted up the 'training hours' for the first 16 sessions (the last 5 don't yet have hours) and it comes to 91 and half hours! Which seems like a helluva lot of hours if the 44-FOPPERS are just "litter monkeys" :-)

Are there any female 44-FOPs? Seems to be all men as far as I can see?

Official spreadsheet keeper can you check?

Perhaps 44-FOPS are all bodyguards! (Or doing the YMCA as a dance sequence!)

AnotherDude

Latest