The Student Room Group

AQA Additional Science Biology exam tomorrow

To all those of you who are sitting the additional science examination, how are you preparing for that?

I'm reading my CGP guide as a recap over things I should know as well as completing past papers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing b3 (I did additional last year) but I'm doing past papers and I'm reading through my textbook :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I have both B2 and B3 exams tomorrow, consecutively. We only just finished B3 about a week ago though so I'm just frantically reading through my notes, GCSE Bitesize and completing past papers. :smile:
I have that too, b2 and b3. i'm doing past papers reading through revision guide. I can't the bitesize topics for b3 :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by GrammarGirl
I have that too, b2 and b3. i'm doing past papers reading through revision guide. I can't the bitesize topics for b3 :frown:

Bitesize doesn't have B3 topics on, it sucks :frown: I use the textbook, even though the textbook we've been given is for foundation tier exams :/
ah I thought it didn't but then i thought am i just being thick. i'm quite nervous for this biology exam, b3 is very varied isn't it. and i'm retaking b2 as I got a B and my target grade is an A* so i've got a stressful day tomorrow :frown:
I'm doing B2 and B3 tomorrow. Both at 9am - aaah!
Anyway, B2, I've only done a 2-3 hours revision, just read through notes and then done past papers.
B3 is taking the absolute piss. Doing the same for that but I've spent 2-3 days on it.
Reply 7
I'm doing B2, hoping to get a C. Going through the AQA revision guide, booklets my teacher gave me and the CGP work book and then in a bit I'm going to do some past papers
Doing B2 and B3 tomorrow :frown: these will be the death of me :frown:
B3 is omg so hard! I find it so difficult. particularly microbes and making ethanol and biogas and all that :/
B3 is omg so hard! I find it so difficult. particularly microbes and making ethanol and biogas and all that :/

Yeah, microbiology is the worst! I just really hope for an easy test but low grade boundaries (impossible, I know, but I can always dream) :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by usycool1
I'm doing b3 (I did additional last year) but I'm doing past papers and I'm reading through my textbook :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin:

same!
Reply 12

omg yes! so hard :frown: theres never been anything on past papers about plants ect, im hoping there is some on tomorrows!

Original post by Dandaman9999
Yeah, microbiology is the worst! I just really hope for an easy test but low grade boundaries (impossible, I know, but I can always dream) :tongue:

Original post by Kitty.Cat
omg yes! so hard :frown: theres never been anything on past papers about plants ect, im hoping there is some on tomorrows!

What do the three of you find hard about it? Pray tell! We can help each other. It helps with our own revision, too. :smile:
praying for an easy paper tomorrow, pretty pretty please!!! a
Hopefully there is a good paper tomorrow, because apparently B3 In January was quite hard.
But i hope it's "alright" as if it's too easy, it means the Grade Boundaries are high.
Best of luck everyone, Hopefully you ALL do well! (:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
What do the three of you find hard about it? Pray tell! We can help each other. It helps with our own revision, too. :smile:

Can you please tell me a couple of valid pros and cons of both kidney dialysis and kidney transplant? There are a few dodgy ones which I wan to avoid since they are only given in some past papers. Also, how to make ethanol-based fuels please :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by Dandaman9999
Can you please tell me a couple of valid pros and cons of both kidney dialysis and kidney transplant? There are a few dodgy ones which I wan to avoid since they are only given in some past papers. Also, how to make ethanol-based fuels please :colondollar:

Kidney transplant:
Advantages:
No need to make regular trips to hospital.
No need to pay attention to diet.
Cheaper than dialysis in the long-run.

Disadvantages:
Need to take immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of your life.
Immunosuppressant drugs weaken the immune system, so the person who has had the transplant is susceptible to other diseases.
Risk of dying in surgery.
Hard to find a donor who is both willing and able to donate a kidney.

Pretty much the opposite can be said for dialysis (for both advantages and disadvantages) :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Kidney transplant:
Advantages:
No need to make regular trips to hospital.
No need to pay attention to diet.
Cheaper than dialysis in the long-run.

Disadvantages:
Need to take immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of your life.
Immunosuppressant drugs weaken the immune system, so the person who has had the transplant is susceptible to other diseases.
Risk of dying in surgery.
Hard to find a donor who is both willing and able to donate a kidney.

Pretty much the opposite can be said for dialysis (for both advantages and disadvantages) :smile:

Wow, thanks! I was just worrying because different people were telling me different things which weren't correct. But thanks for this list :smile:
I'm resitting B2 tomorrow. I'm not particularly worried because I got a B last time and my target's an A, so the pressure's off a little bit. I'm reading through my notes, doing the quizzes on Bitesize and I'm going to attempt some past papers in a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending