The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

So annoyed. Just my luck. Finally got my dry lube today and decided to clean and relube my chain. Just as I'm waiting for the lube to set (or whatever) it starts to piss it down. So I had to rush my bike in the shed and now I can't even take it out for a ride.
Reply 241
Original post by alexs2602
So annoyed. Just my luck. Finally got my dry lube today and decided to clean and relube my chain. Just as I'm waiting for the lube to set (or whatever) it starts to piss it down. So I had to rush my bike in the shed and now I can't even take it out for a ride.

Buy yourself some wet lube as well then go out in the rain :smile:
Original post by dhr90
Buy yourself some wet lube as well then go out in the rain :smile:

I've got wet lube. Its all I used to use but with the dry weather I couldnt go where I wanted without the chain getting filthy dirty in less than half an hour. I'm not about to put on wet lube to put on dry lube again tomorrow.
Reply 243
Original post by alexs2602
I've got wet lube. Its all I used to use but with the dry weather I couldnt go where I wanted without the chain getting filthy dirty in less than half an hour. I'm not about to put on wet lube to put on dry lube again tomorrow.

Lol you don't have to change your lube every time the weather outside changes. You could have gone for a ride, given it a quick wipe down and then reapplied a little bit.
I've always used just wet lube. Even just cheap stuff, so long as it's wiped after application and cleaned every couple rides, I've never had an issue.
So who thinks Lizzie Armistead should have been banned?
I'll go first. ME.

Unbelievably naive and unprofessional.
It doesn't even matter if she's a clean athlete.

We all knew Kolo Toure was a clean athlete taking his wife's slimming pills; didn't stop him getting a ban.
I think I might have finally found a bike that has what I want. I'm not getting a bike until the new season so we'll see if anything else comes out that fits my needs obviously. It might be I get next season's version of this bike in the end. Merida ride disc 500. Truth be told it's actually a little better than I'd be happy with. Ultegra derailleurs. RS785 brakes. Carbon fork. And all for under a grand.
I finished my biggest cycling challenge on Friday night. Land's End to John o' Groats in 6 days. Totalled 1018 miles with just over 50,000ft of climbing. Pretty much an unforgettable experience and right now I'm not sure how I'll ever top it.

Original post by Roobsa
I finished my biggest cycling challenge on Friday night. Land's End to John o' Groats in 6 days. Totalled 1018 miles with just over 50,000ft of climbing. Pretty much an unforgettable experience and right now I'm not sure how I'll ever top it.

...I saw this on reddit earlier, did you post it there too? Congrats btw, bet it was great!
Original post by Serentonin
...I saw this on reddit earlier, did you post it there too? Congrats btw, bet it was great!

I couldn't resist the karma whoring.
IMG_6144.jpg

Picked this up last week :biggrin: 700 miles so far and loving it.
Reply 251
Original post by ouchthathurts
IMG_6144.jpg

Picked this up last week :biggrin: 700 miles so far and loving it.

The **** is that bar tape
Does anyone else live a cycling distance from work? Especially a job that gives you a good workout and good pay. Which you can practically stay there until you decide to retire.
Original post by BaronK
The **** is that bar tape

In the flesh it looks amazing. Sets off the blue quite nicely. Had black on for a few days but it was boring.

Hands down the best bike I've ever ridden though. 7.3kg all in for an aero bike, with tubs in it's even lighter. Climbs nicely, seems to fly on the flat once you get up towards 40km/h. Surpisingly comfy too, managed 205km with 4600m climbing the other week without feeling beaten up, which I was concerned about as aero bikes aren't exactly renowned for being very forgiving.
Original post by ColossalAtom
Does anyone else live a cycling distance from work? Especially a job that gives you a good workout and good pay. Which you can practically stay there until you decide to retire.

20 miles from work with the job I've just taken. On my feet most of the day minus a bit of driving. Winner.
Original post by ouchthathurts
20 miles from work with the job I've just taken. On my feet most of the day minus a bit of driving. Winner.

You gone into smallies?

Nice bike btw
Original post by Angry cucumber
You gone into smallies?

Nice bike btw

Nope. Pure large animal :smile:. I'm just on the edge of our area here with a flat for on call. Bonus is that I've moved back home for a little while because I've worked out I can basically save a deposit for a house in a year if I want. So long as I don't buy any more silly bikes.

Cheers!*
Reply 257
Original post by ColossalAtom

Yes, yes, fail at the last hurdle on pay though. Only 6 miles, still drive though as we don't have a shower and turning up sweaty and smelling is poor form when you deal with customers.
Original post by dhr90
Yes, yes, fail at the last hurdle on pay though. Only 6 miles, still drive though as we don't have a shower and turning up sweaty and smelling is poor form when you deal with customers.

It only takes me like 13 minutes to cycle to work. No customers are dealt with here and showers are available. It's a 24 hour operation as well. Glad I can work there part-time while juggling year 12 soon.
Reply 259
Nice day riding with the main man himself
https://www.strava.com/activities/695342645

Quick Reply

Latest