The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigrrmilk
it's weird living in oxford outside of termtime.

our results came out a couple of weeks ago and my finals results were astonishingly mediocre (all of my exam results were within 5 marks of one another, all my coursework marked higher because exams are stupid), but i survived them without going crazy and i got a 2.1 so it's all fine.

Congrats :woo: :danceboy: :woo: :party: :woo: :danceboy: :woo:
I think I'm procrastinating, and I don't even have real work. Darn these Oxford 'vacations'...
Original post by Octohedral
I think I'm procrastinating, and I don't even have real work. Darn these Oxford 'vacations'...

Me too :rolleyes: I should be trying to get a job, but can I be bothered...?
so much time off is deffo not good for my productivity... i think i've forgotten how to work. so much vac work i should be doing, too :frown: stupid hilary prelims.
Original post by pinstriped.flower
Sorry I realise that was misleading - I mean that she didn't do one extract from each pair, but did two from on pair ie both Montaigne and Graffigny and not one from another ie neither Baudelaire or Cesaire.

That is annoying, but then I think you should probably know enough about the paper to not do that...

Bezzler
I believe it's changed this year. I failed the German commentary paper in my prelims (37), but got 67 on the other lit paper, so averaged a 2:2, which is fine. I think if I had failed literature overall I'd have had to resit both, even if I'd passed one of them (though I might be wrong about this). But I was told by some first years that they've got rid of that system, so if you fail any paper you have to resit it.

I think I read in examiners' reports that they wanted to change it as e.g. French paper 2 is half translation from a set text into English, and I think Spanish 2 was unseen into English, so that can help bump up marks and drag up the marks for the bits into the language/requiring decent grammatical knowledge, so I guess they actually have now.

Bezzler
On the room ballot issue, I think the reversing the ballot system is the fairest. At Merton, where pretty much everyone lives in the whole time (everyone has the option to), you get into a group of up to 6 people at the end of first year, and then the groups are drawn out and so you can live with your friends, and then it's reversed for third year. Means that if you have a crap room in second year you get an awesome room in third year.

Ha yeah but then if you realise you don't like any of the other 5 people you are a bit stuck surely?
Reply 7805
Original post by dinkymints
Ha yeah but then if you realise you don't like any of the other 5 people you are a bit stuck surely?

I think you'd have to be fairly fickle to discover you didn't like any of a group of six people you've chosen to live with, after knowing them all for a year. :s-smilie:
Reply 7806

Well, you don't have to live with them. You just choose in that order. In fact, that happened to my group this year - one girl wasn't happy about which house we chose to live in, so chose a room away from the other five of us.
Reply 7807
Original post by Athena
... But the DoC was surprisingly quiet for happy hour, so clearly not many tourists make it that far!

:five:

We had it to ourselves kicking off a mini-moon at 5pm on a Sunday too. :biggrin:
Mid vac panic. I don't want to be a finalist.
Reply 7809
I am very much enjoying having been finished for eight weeks and only being mid vac. >_>
Reply 7810
Original post by BJack
I am very much enjoying having been finished for eight weeks and only being mid vac. >_>

I'm not. Another week living with my brother and I think I'll go insane.
With my summer plans about to start in a couple of days, it is becoming increasingly difficult to immerse myself in medieval tales. Tomorrow I think I am actually going to just take myself off to the local university library and stay there for a good few hours...
Reply 7812
This year's Norrington Table is out - Worcester are 6th! That's got to be the best we've done in a long time - clearly, my year is just awesome :biggrin:
Reply 7813
Yay we won :biggrin: Not that I had any exams, but still, we won!
Original post by laeti
This year's Norrington Table is out - Worcester are 6th! That's got to be the best we've done in a long time - clearly, my year is just awesome :biggrin:

:woo: :yeah: :awesome: :party: :awesome: :yeah: :woo:
Reply 7815
Mansfield offered us extended opening hours in the college bar if we came in the top 3.
Damn. Catz lost 11 places. Oh well, by the graph it looks like it's a bit of a yo-yo most of the time - we were 4th once.
Original post by laeti

Yep! :biggrin: I think our year is unusually awesome, and the year below is pretty good too, which is why we did better this year than last given the 3/4 year course split (year above us nothing special :wink: ) Do you remember where we came last year?
Reply 7818
Original post by doivid
Mansfield offered us extended opening hours in the college bar if we came in the top 3.

That seems like a pointless incentive - surely the people who make the difference will (for the most part) have left?
(year above us nothing special :wink: )

:cry2:

Latest

Trending

Trending