The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B F331 Chemistry for Life (13-01-2012)

I couldn't find a thread on this exam so I've made one for us all to share our ideas and thoughts on the exam.
I am retaking this exam hoping to get higher than my previous C :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Fell free to quote me for questions about this, and any other Salters chemistry exams; (I finished the course last year with an A*)
Reply 2
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Fell free to quote me for questions about this, and any other Salters chemistry exams; (I finished the course last year with an A*)

woo thanks, i will :tongue:
Make sure you can do all the questions in the salters AS revision guide, make sure you have done all available past papers (learn from the mark schemes) and read storylines before you go to bed.
Reply 4

Can I ask how did you revise for F332? For example, the atmosphere topic. The revision guide misses out a lot of spec stuff..

Like what did you do to get your F332 mark? and can I ask how much UMS you got in this module?? :smile:
Original post by ManPowa

Original post by ManPowa
Can I ask how did you revise for F332? For example, the atmosphere topic. The revision guide misses out a lot of spec stuff..

Like what did you do to get your F332 mark? and can I ask how much UMS you got in this module?? :smile:

I think I got 131, use chemical ideas for F332, that book is a God
Reply 6
Never taken AS Chemistry exams before! Shouldn't be difficult, this is not a hard unit. Not looking forward to June though, doing the last AS paper and the two A2 papers... will have to work hard.

So any guesses as to what may come up?
(edited 12 years ago)

Well done on your result!

Just doing the A2 now, got a B on the AS, but it was an ish low B. Struggling a bit at A2, particularly after getting the hang of AS, and then you have to start again with new material.
I feel I understand all the material, but I'm just not able to apply all my knowledge. Any advice?
Also how did you revise? I was considering trying revision cards for the January exams, as I used them for some of my subjects and I felt like they helped.
Reply 8
I think I got 131, use chemical ideas for F332, that book is a God

For which chapters is Chemical Storylines actually useful? I've found it useful for DF but mostly pointless for EL...
Original post by Zhy
For which chapters is Chemical Storylines actually useful? I've found it useful for DF but mostly pointless for EL...

Hi,

I did the AS last year, and found the official revision guide was the best for knowing what parts of storylines you actualy need to know, as it has the facts in the there from storylines. Theres a bit, can't remember the chapter now, about the emisions from the cars, why they are bad, and how they are formed, e.g. nitrogen. That section you definately need to know.

I think most of storylines is just for background advice, and putting the facts in context, so most is about understanding, and apply your information, only a couple of chapters/ bits of info is about learning.
Reply 10
Original post by ManPowa

Just use the CGP salters B revision guide + all the past papers , even from the old spec (from 2002) , i got 141/150 for that paper soley by doing that. Btw chemical storylines is pretty much useless
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by banana-milkshake
Hi,

I did the AS last year, and found the official revision guide was the best for knowing what parts of storylines you actualy need to know, as it has the facts in the there from storylines. Theres a bit, can't remember the chapter now, about the emisions from the cars, why they are bad, and how they are formed, e.g. nitrogen. That section you definately need to know.

I think most of storylines is just for background advice, and putting the facts in context, so most is about understanding, and apply your information, only a couple of chapters/ bits of info is about learning.

Thanks.

My teacher has said I could be entered for F332 also in January, but I haven't started learning it yet. There are 75 days until the exam. Do you think I could finish it by then (Atmosphere, Polymer Revolution, Elements of the Sea)?
Reply 12
Hey! I'm doing the chemistry Salters exam in january for the first time and I am absolutely scared of it! I have the salter's revision guide, but my teacher told me it doesn't really have any concepts. Any ideas for how to revise?
Original post by Zhy
Thanks.

My teacher has said I could be entered for F332 also in January, but I haven't started learning it yet. There are 75 days until the exam. Do you think I could finish it by then (Atmosphere, Polymer Revolution, Elements of the Sea)?

I think it depends on you personally. I know for me I wouldn't be able to, as I have to work really hard for chemistry, and wouldn't have the time to learn, revise etc. but you seem to be good at it based on your previous post. I reckon you probably could learn all the content, it might be tricky but if you're learning all the A2 this year you probably would have the capacity to. I don't think chemistry necessarily has as much content compared to other subjects such as biology, so for some people that could make it easier.
Reply 14
I'm looking for some question papers/mark schemes... does anyone have the June 2001 mark scheme for the old spec (2850)?

I'd also like some papers with mark schemes from 2000 and before. Can't seem to find them...
Reply 15
Hey, does anybody have answers to storylines A2...Thread of life?

Would be greatful if someone shared them x
Reply 16
Was doing an F331 past paper question asking about the advantages and disadvantages of using methanol. The mark scheme says "DO NOT ACCEPT 'alcoholics may drink it' ".
Reply 17
Original post by Zhy
Never taken AS Chemistry exams before! Shouldn't be difficult, this is not a hard unit. Not looking forward to June though, doing the last AS paper and the two A2 papers... will have to work hard.

So any guesses as to what may come up?

Oh, and can anyone find the PDF + Mark Scheme of the June 2011 paper (F331)? I have found one that someone scanned it but they wrote in the answers as well, so I can't use it for practice, unless someone blocks out the answers and prints it or something...

Can you please send me the f331 June 2011 mark scheme or marked paper thanks
Reply 18
I have neither. The person didn't even write in all their answers, and some of them were wrong. Hope to get a mark scheme for it soon.
Reply 19
I hate having to open that chemical ideas book. So much content, if I can avoid it, I just prefer to use the official revision guide and the CGP guide :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest