The Student Room Group

The REAL reason you are going to uni

i didn't know where to put this but i've always wanted to get other peoples opinions.

Some argue owning a degree leads to better career prospects. Others disagree.
Some want the fun and partying.

Mine: Simply want to get out of the house! It's literally driving me crazy! :angry:

Anyone else ?

:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Doing uni for my degree in accounting primarily. That's not to say I don't enjoy the social side and the independance it brings.
Reply 2
Because the degree is required for the profession?
Reply 3
To move out, to learn, to party. Ultimately to grow and enjoy 3-6 years of my life :smile:
Because I'm expected to.
I'm still looking forward to it.
I went because my sixth form never really gave us any other option. Everyone applied, everyone had UCAS lessons, everyone had HE interviews.. there was just nothing for those who didn't want to go, and I felt I'd be letting everyone down if I didn't, so I just chose my favourite subject (Psychology), a couple of local unis, and applied.

I am very happy there, and will be sad to leave, but I won't pretend that it's what I always wanted to do.
Reply 6
To learn...
It is my dream to get a costco cake when I graduate.
to avoid the job market!
Reply 9
Honestly, the real reason I went - and why most people go - is because I was expected to. I'm a middle class, suburban first-worlder, who has been pushed through a formal education system since I was five years old, which was always going to culminate in a degree.
Reply 10
Because for my route to my desired career, this will put me at a better position.
It's funny, I went to uni to study science without the intention of becoming a scientist at the end of it. So I obviously did it for my love of learning how things work, and I'm now in my second year and finding my course content thoroughly interesting.

But I always get asked at interviews wtf you've been working in IT for years, you plan to go into business, you're an investor in your spare time...yet you decided to study science??! :lolwut:
Reply 12
Honestly, my parents and my school expected it from me and I'm interested in the subject I've applied for.
To get out of the house and to make my 6 older siblings feel like they are useless because all they want to do is party and get drunk and stay unemployed :smile:
I was getting kicked out otherwise so took my only Uni offer.

Good times though.
Reply 15
My reason to leave is for a fresh start! I live in a small town and get judged constantly! I came out gay a few years ago and its like every guy in my school pretends I don't exist! Its getting pretty upsetting :frown:

That and I want to move out :biggrin:
Reply 16
Because I'm in direct competition with my cousins as to who will go to the best university. I've just got to beat Manchester and I'm all set :smile:

Really, though, I just come from a family where everyone goes. Most of my family do sod all with their degrees, but it's a life experience that I feel I'd be missing out on if I didn't go.
Original post by jgibson18
My reason to leave is for a fresh start! I live in a small town and get judged constantly! I came out gay a few years ago and its like every guy in my school pretends I don't exist! Its getting pretty upsetting :frown:

That and I want to move out :biggrin:

That's lame. Good thing is at Uni everyone is generally more mature and you shouldn't feel that way anymore. :smile:
Because I need a specific degree, in order to get the job I want... :colondollar:
Reply 19
I'm working class so my parents put 0 pressure on me to go to uni, they didn't and still don't really understand what it's all about.
However, most of my friends are middle class and so I felt I had to keep up with my peers. I suppose that was the main reason I went.

An added bonus was that at the time around leaving, my parents had become so sick of me they would have thrown me out if moving out for uni wasn't on the cards, so reason no. 2- to avoid homelessness.

It also felt like a nice legitimate way of avoiding the working world.

Lastly, I enjoyed my chosen subject enough to want to immerse myself in it for three years.

Boom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending