The Student Room Group

What's better AAAAB or AAAA?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone is prevaricating the lucid plight here. Why DID YOU NOT ACHIEVE 5 A'S?!?
Original post by hassi94
Don't be silly - and don't listen to people who tell you so. The B shouldn't hold you back at all for cambridge if you have high UMS scores in your other AS levels (I'm assuming the B is your least relevant subject anyway?). Don't let people put you off from applying. If you get grades like those and you want a shot at going to Cambridge then you'll need to and should apply.

I think you'll get less negs if you don't start every post with 'if I answer I'll get negged' :wink:

Lol it evend otu though in the end :wink:

Original post by hassi94
That doesn't make any sense though. You don't need to average 90% in each AS level so the latter part of the sentence doesn't follow the former. Oh and I basically scraped an A in Chemistry and I know many others with similar circumstances.

My naivety? And where have you been in this process to know what can be considered naive? I've researched and talked to admissions staff extensively, along with having been through the whole process. Really with Cambridge we'd have to be a lot more specific. 90 90 90 90 70 (these are percentages by the way) would wipe the floor with 80 80 80 80 in the admissions process 'game' - well for the grades part any way. Cambridge explicitly talk about how they mainly care about how good you are at your subject and care very little for other frills. Do you think they're stupid enough to pick one physics applicant over another because one got a B in French?

Oh, and my reasoning was they take 3 subjects to calculate UMS, and my conclusion that was that that phrase/sentence whatever was wrong. I'm not going to pretend to have a brilliant vocabulary, English isn't exactly my subject of interest, so you can criticise it as much as you want.

Oh and if we're splitting hairs then you also said "really want to be average about" so who knows whether I should be paying attention to your suffixes or not?

Original post by hassi94
I don't know, I think AAAAEE is pushing it quite far :tongue: Would probably show either a lack of commitment to subjects you dislike or a pretty clear limit of the workload you can take on.

I think I could've probably added 3 or 4 Es onto my AS Levels with minimal effort but I don't think it'd have looked too good :tongue:

You tell them Hassi. This guy has an offer from Cambridge; I am pretty sure he knows what he is talking about!! Especially more so than the people here speaking on behalf of Cambridge and Oxford going on all the rumours and nonsense lurking around TSR.
Reply 62
I suppose it depends on the uni... I think for Oxford etc I would say AAAA because they want straight A students, but for the majority of unis AAAAB would be better, so it really depends which uni you apply to.
Reply 63
Are you for real?

AAAAB has all the four A's the other one has AND another B.

Stupid thread is stupid
Original post by Miryo
They're not for unis like Oxbridge. They're seen as a weakness, especially two E's. If they're related subjects to the course you want to do, then you'll be at a disadvantage.

Fair enough! I have to say the AAAAEE probably would actually be slightly worse than AAAA. But I have to say I think that AAAACC or AAAABB is better, even though not by much, than AAAA; at least on the same level. The AAAABB >AAAA would I feel still apply for top unis, if and only if the candidate has As in there most relevant subjects for sciences and or arts well there best 3 would be the As.
Original post by Astronomical
I cannot be bothered to continue with this, and have no agenda. I merely was trying to forewarn the OP that if he ends up with a B then it is a disadvantage, not necessarily a fatal one, but nevertheless a disadvantage.

Not going to reply to the points because they either a) don't make sense b) are a bit silly

Oh and I can't really be bothered and we sort of cleared this up over visitor messages.
Original post by Livvy99
I suppose it depends on the uni... I think for Oxford etc I would say AAAA because they want straight A students, but for the majority of unis AAAAB would be better, so it really depends which uni you apply to.

Oxford would still want AAAAB over AAAA - well they would probably treat them fairly equally I would have thought from what I have seen of this process. It shows workload plus Oxbridge would have to look at other factors, and Cambridge would be much more interested in UMS.
Reply 67
Original post by GreenLantern1
Oxford would still want AAAAB over AAAA - well they would probably treat them fairly equally I would have thought from what I have seen of this process. It shows workload plus Oxbridge would have to look at other factors, and Cambridge would be much more interested in UMS.

Tbh I don't think it would really make much difference, but I think that Oxford might consider it a negative that you only got a B in one sibject, as it shows that you didn't cope as well when taking more than the norm.
Original post by Aylish
The later one four A's

Agreed.
Original post by Livvy99
Tbh I don't think it would really make much difference, but I think that Oxford might consider it a negative that you only got a B in one sibject, as it shows that you didn't cope as well when taking more than the norm.

Yes but still coped very well as for Oxford , as a lot of people don't seem to understand, are still happy with a B, as I have seen from actual people with offers, as long as it isn't in an important subject for their degree and is maybe a fourth or a fifth.
Reply 70
Original post by hackashaq
I took 5 AS levels and I think I'm going to get AAAAB in them. Would I be at an advantage or a disadvantage if I was applying to top universities (e.g. LSE/UCL/Oxbridge) with AAAAB instead of AAAA if I only took four subjects?

Do you mean if you carry them on at A2?
Reply 71
Original post by ejp94
Do you mean if you carry them on at A2?

Yeah
Reply 72
Original post by hackashaq
Yeah

Although five A levels at AAAAB would be an amazing achievement, you have to be realistic. The workload at A2 level is alot more intense than AS, hence why alot of people drop a subject when it comes to their second year. It all depends on what you are like as a person. If you enjoy every subject you can do and think you can handle the work load and achieve the grades you're aiming for in each subject, then go for it. But A levels are really hard, and if they have coursework involved they also become extra time consuming. You need to consider your own health and wellbeing, as you may find that taking too many will stress you out and leave you with no time for a break (which everyone needs atleast once in a while). I don't think you'd be looked down on for having four, most universities ask for three or four. To be honest, it's totally down to how you are as a person and whether you think you can handle it. Personally, I wouldn't like to stress myself out that much as I've done three A2's this year and found that tough enough as it is.
Reply 73
Well for top unis it depends on your UMS score in each module!
Original post by TurboCretin
Real, or imaginary? I'm sure you're just repeating their half-baked logic, right? One or two people have now posted about Cambridge and UMS, which I accept. One would've thought that would have been a point you'd have raised, no?

Hilarious. You can go on believing what you want, but getting that B shows you are not a straight A student (obviously other things are taken into account in the admissions procedure, but seeing as this thread is simply comparing grades, this point is appropriate). The UMS point makes no difference. They can see it is a B without seeing the UMS. Unless you mean if the AAAAB has much higher UMS in the A's than the AAAA? Seems highly unlikely that you would get lower UMS doing fewer subjects.

At the end of the day I couldn't care less if you don't believe me, but OP can either listen to you (you're at Bristol I believe?) or me with experience of the oxbridge admissions process (being an offer holder) and having many relatives who have been to either Oxford or Cambridge and some relatives holding faculty positions there.

This post below explains it much better than I did.

Original post by Adhsur
Yes exactly. On a serious level, it won't matter at all. But strictly speaking, my feeling is that if you present with all As (albeit only 4 subjects), you are saying you did exceptionally well in every single subject you took. It also gives the impression that perhaps if you had taken another subject you would have got an A in that too. With an extra B, the question is already answered that 4 was your limit of how many you can handle exceptionally well.

Exactly the point I was trying to get across, you said it a lot better than I could :tongue:

Original post by Vian

You'd be amazed. That is all.

Haha :tongue:, wouldn't surprise me tbh.

Original post by GreenLantern1
AAAACC or AAAAEE is better than AAAA... Though I would see them as pretty much the same tbh.

Despite the fact that one set of grades show you were exceptional in every single one of your subjects whilst the other two show that you were mediocre at best in 33% of them?
Original post by Brutal Chav
Lemme give you a counterexample to your logic

(and I'm fully prepared to be negged by the lurking retards of this thread)

-I took 4ASs and got consistent results (lowest was 95%, highest was 100%)
-I could have taken a 5th AS that was still very relevant to my firm uni course (Biology)
-If I would have got a B in Biology (70%-80%) my entire 'consistency' would have broken down
-I would never have come across as an exceptional all-rounded 'scientist'
-I would have definitely been asked "Why the **** did you get a B?" at interview
-I would have had a significantly lower chance of making it into my firm

As much as you might not like the sound of the above, it's the harsh truth...

Sometimes, a B isn't good enough :eek:

This bolded point sums it up perfectly. :smile:
Reply 76
For Oxbridge, absolutely no difference. They take the average UMS score over the best 3 or for sciences most relevant 3 subjects. Therefore anything extra they, I quote, "can't help noticing" but it doesn't actually bear any importance. Obviously an extra 3 As on top would look good but an A and a B wouldn't be strongly taken into account.
Reply 77
Probably been said already, but so be it.

I would rank AAAAB as higher than AAAA, personally. To me, I would see that as someone who is extremely capable of doing well in all their subjects, including those that are not their strongest/they have less interest in. That person would be capable of managing a higher workload and still maintain good results, without any clear impact on performance.
Reply 78
Original post by fudgesundae
Well no you haven't. The achievement isn't getting 4 A grades. The achievement is getting A grades in every single A level you took.

A levels are not about how many you can 'collect'. With regards to the top universities, they would rather straight A grades. Otherwise you start wondering, why didn't they get an A in that extra A level. By your logic AAAACC or AAAAEE is better than AAAA.

But since the person who achieved AAAA did not attempt any further subjects, we cannot know if they would have performed at the same level, eg, better than AAAAB. At least the AAAAB candidate has shown they can work well with a larger than average workload, and are not afraid to do so.
Original post by fudgesundae

Despite the fact that one set of grades show you were exceptional in every single one of your subjects whilst the other two show that you were mediocre at best in 33% of them?

Yes despite indeed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending