The Student Room Group

Chances

I was in school today and got my higher maths grades back. I got 88/130 which is a band 3 B. The % for and A was 72% this year. The SQA sent a list to the school mentioning the people who could appeal and i was one of them. I wasn't bothered as i have got into my firm choice at uni but im actually happy an appeal is being submitted.

For the main prelim i scored 71%, the second prelim i scored 76% and for the extended test in unit 1 i got 74%. Its hard to tell exactly if it will be sucessful but does anyone have any thoughts about it? Im not building up my hopes at all and i do have my place at uni already confirmed so the result isnt going to affect anything but just wanted people's thoughts. If the SQA said i could appeal there must be some kind of chance???
Reply 1
ScottD
I was in school today and got my higher maths grades back. I got 88/130 which is a band 3 B. The % for and A was 72% this year. The SQA sent a list to the school mentioning the people who could appeal and i was one of them. I wasn't bothered as i have got into my firm choice at uni but im actually happy an appeal is being submitted.

For the main prelim i scored 71%, the second prelim i scored 76% and for the extended test in unit 1 i got 74%. Its hard to tell exactly if it will be sucessful but does anyone have any thoughts about it? Im not building up my hopes at all and i do have my place at uni already confirmed so the result isnt going to affect anything but just wanted people's thoughts. If the SQA said i could appeal there must be some kind of chance???

I personally dont think there is much of a chance. The A's you got at 74 and 76 % aren't really strong enough for you to be bumped up to an A imo, would need to be 80's at least for a decent shot at it. Schools get a quota on the amount of appeals they can get so they need to fill up that quota so maybe not many people have a strong appeal but are just in to fill the quota.

Still, your uni place is confirmed so good times :yep:
Reply 2
Yekim_8
I personally dont think there is much of a chance. The A's you got at 74 and 76 % aren't really strong enough for you to be bumped up to an A imo, would need to be 80's at least for a decent shot at it. Schools get a quota on the amount of appeals they can get so they need to fill up that quota so maybe not many people have a strong appeal but are just in to fill the quota.

Still, your uni place is confirmed so good times :yep:

Noticed your going to Aberdeen, what course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 3
rosie9391
Noticed your going to Aberdeen, what course are you doing? :smile:

Going to be doing accountancy :biggrin: you ?
Reply 4
Yekim_8
Going to be doing accountancy :biggrin: you ?

I'm doing Geography :biggrin: Have you got accommodation sorted? I'm in Adam Smith House.
Reply 5
rosie9391
I'm doing Geography :biggrin: Have you got accommodation sorted? I'm in Adam Smith House.

Nice, i'll be at the Hillhead crew aswell :biggrin: but in Hector Boece.
I'm in a similar position. Got 91/130 so 3 marks off an A. I was predicted an A and got around 75% in each of the two prelims we did. Don't hold out much hope for an appeal though :frown:
Reply 7
Go for it anyway, it's little work - I appealed graphic comm. and it only took like 10 minutes of my own time and not much of my teachers - I am not too fussed about it and dont think I will get it, but just go for it anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending