The Student Room Group

Physics Investigation

Hey guys, basically I've picked Advanced Higher Physics ( the highest level of qualification at a scottish school before university) And basically I've been asked to pick a field of Physics to investigate for the project, and I was considering doing something along the lines of semi conductors.

Can someone give me any ideas of setting up a practical experiment to investigate something to do with Semi-conductors as it's something I'm interested in.
Reply 1
Okay, ive thought about it a bit more, and I've abandoned the above idea. How about a project investigating a thermodynamics law, this is another factor which I'm interested in. Anyone have any specific ideas relating to this concept?
Reply 2
I based mine on characterisitics of aerofoils. How angle of attack, thickness and curvature of the wing affects lift.....it's based around what im going to do at uni. I got 16/25 for it, got me my B! haha
Reply 3
ScottD
I based mine on characterisitics of aerofoils. How angle of attack, thickness and curvature of the wing affects lift.....it's based around what im going to do at uni. I got 16/25 for it, got me my B! haha

Interesting, your going to do aeronautical engineering?. That's what I'll be applying for this year hopefully or electronic engineering.

Hmmm, did you get started on your project straight away, and how long did it take?
Reply 4
It wasn't until after christmas we started the 20hour block.....it's a great thing to do as the physics behind it will give you an insight into what you'll be studying in the later years of uni. Also, my school had all the equipment which helped. I can send you my investigation which was sent to the SQA if you want any ideas....if you want to carry it out.
With a semiconductor you could investigate the relationship of resistivity against temperature...
Reply 6
El Doctoré de Mystéro
With a semiconductor you could investigate the relationship of resistivity against temperature...

Thanks for the idea, so i will basically test out Ohms law against the factor of temperature? Any other factors?
Z_Ahmed
Thanks for the idea, so i will basically test out Ohms law against the factor of temperature? Any other factors?

Well a semiconductor won't obey Ohm's Law. The effect of temperature on the resistivity of a semiconductor is complicated. It's to do with the energy states the electrons in the material are allowed to occupy, and whether they are free to move in these energy states.

It's university level stuff but with a lot of reading about and around the topic you should be able to understand what's going on at a basic level.

Latest