The Student Room Group

Should i take a crash higher in Spanish?

My highest language qualification is a Standard Grade 3 in French.

I'm only allowed to take higher if i have a credit grade, but it seems unfair that i can't take Spanish, as i only didn't get credit in French because my teacher hated me and refused to put me up to a credit level!

I'm competent at credit French, but obviously, i've not had much practice with the level, and so will not be at quite the same standard as someone who was allowed to take it. (Less of a head start into Spanish..)

If i get a note from home, then i'm sure they'll let me take the higher.. but do you think it'll be hard to pick up?

Bearing in mind i need to get at least a B.
Reply 1
Personally I would avoid taking up an entirely new language at that level especially with no experience at another Higher language. It might be a bit of a risk especially if you need a B but if your willing to put in the effort and are dedicated to it I'm sure you would do well :smile:

What other subjects is there that you want to do and what are you doing at Uni?
Reply 2
Taking a new language at higher will be very difficult. You will be expected to know quite a lot tbh. How much Spanish do you know? I'm guessing you don't know enough to pass a credit paper at Standard Grade.

What you could do is:

- Take the int 2 in Spanish this year, in which case you would have a very good chance at a B in the higher next year.

- Alternatively, study the subject in your own time this year, which would require dedication, and crash it in your sixth year when you have became quite good at it. You would need to know a lot - enough to pass credit.

- If you would be willing, take Higher french instead? But only if you think you would have been capable of a credit grade because taking a higher with a general grade tends to be a complete waste of time.

I would think that would you struggle with the Spannish higher - I found the jump from standard grade to higher quite big and unexpected (in other subjects, I can't speak for spanish as I haven't taken it but it tends to be the same all round).
Reply 3
Another difficulty would be adjusting to the Higher exam format for languages. It's pretty distinct from SG -- Directed Writing in particular is quite tricky. I'm crashing H. Spanish this year and finding it okay but then I done Higher French last year and I'm pretty sure I'd be very lost right now if I didn't have that preparation. The jump between SG and Higher for languages is definitely a lot more than most people seem to appreciate.
Pedrobear
Another difficulty would be adjusting to the Higher exam format for languages. It's pretty distinct from SG -- Directed Writing in particular is quite tricky. I'm crashing H. Spanish this year and finding it okay but then I done Higher French last year and I'm pretty sure I'd be very lost right now if I didn't have that preparation. The jump between SG and Higher for languages is definitely a lot more than most people seem to appreciate.

This, more or less. The format does make the exam a definite step up from SG, but in my opinion the language used isn't all that more difficult. The main thing is being able to handle tenses comfortably and getting used to the change in Listening, (you only hear the whole transcript twice) instead of three times for each individual question with a seemingly infinite gap between questions like at SG.

Op, I'd suggest Higher French, a fair few people in my school don't do it in S5 then come back to do it in S6. It seems slightly difficult at first, but really, once you get the hang of your verbs and tenses, and are used to the different format you'd definitley be able to cope.

For comparison, my School only suggests a crash in Higher Spanish if you've gained an A in Higher French. Don't take this too downheartedly though, if you want it enough, and are prepared to put in a good deal of effort, you'll succeed.
Reply 5
Having lived in France for 6 years and having done some of my schooling here, I'd advise you to drop it unless you feel 100% confident that you can achieve a top grade in it.

I'm not trying to put you off, but I've seen many of my mates do the exact same thing, they stroll through 1st and 2nd year and do "ok" in the standard grades but when it comes to higher it's a completely different story.

However if you are willing to put the work in then go for it.

PM me if you have any problems and I'll help you out.
Reply 6
A girl in my Spanish class last year crashed it and got an A, but she had done Higher French.
Tbh, I don't think it'd be best going straight to the Higher if you haven't done anything except SG French, as your language skills would be low in comparison to others. It'd take a LOT of hard work to get a B.
Why don't you do the Int 2 then Higher next year? :smile:
Reply 7
Int2 is significantly more difficult than SG spanish. I did int 2 in my 4th year and I'm doing higher this year. Int2 to higher spanish is nothing. I've done a few listenings, same stuff, but faster. But yeah, get a letter from your folks about higher french. Your school cannot really stop you from doing a subject you want. I wouldn't bother with Spanish at all. Even Int2 is probably un-do-able.
Reply 8
jackwka
Even Int2 is probably un-do-able.

Are you being serious? :/
Int2 is not much more difficult than SG Credit; there are only 4 UCAS points of a difference between an A at Int2 and an SG Credit.
Reply 9
EmmaDilemma
I wouldn't advise it to be honest.. I got an A in higher french this year and already I'm finding spanish pretty tricky but I think I'll manage.

If you really want do it then you should do a lot of prep on websites such as linguascope and learninglanguages online, brush up on all the grammar you can but bearing this in mind if you are doing other subjects they might suffer if you're doing a lot of work for Spanish.

If Spanish or languages is what you really want to do at University then yeah I'd say put the work in and try get your A but if it's just another subject to take then don't bother.

If you want a hand with Spanish, let me know :yep: I love it! :woo:
Reply 10
bex285
Are you being serious? :/
Int2 is not much more difficult than SG Credit; there are only 4 UCAS points of a difference between an A at Int2 and an SG Credit.

Very much so :yep: You can't go by UCAS points for this. Int 2 is a big step up. Also your talking like she has done spanish before? She hasn't even studied spanish yet, therefore Int2 would be a waste of time.
Credit Spanish is a joke. You get individual listening questions repeated three times...pffft. Int2 Reading passages have more complex language, as is the writing and speaking. Int2 listenings are only heard twice overall. Trust me, It's more difficult!
Reply 11
jackwka
Very much so :yep: You can't go by UCAS points for this. Int 2 is a big step up. Also your talking like she has done spanish before? She hasn't even studied spanish yet, therefore Int2 would be a waste of time.
Credit Spanish is a joke. You get individual listening questions repeated three times...pffft. Int2 Reading passages have more complex language, as is the writing and speaking. Int2 listenings are only heard twice overall. Trust me, It's more difficult!

If Int 2 is such a step up, why is it being used instead of SG in some schools?
And how exactly am I talking as if she's done Spanish before? :/
I know of two people who went from being complete beginners to get an A at Higher, and another girl who didn't have any Spanish or French experience at all and got an A at Int 2.
How would Int2 be a waste of time? It would prepare her for if she wanted to do the Higher the year after :s-smilie:
Reply 12
bex285
If Int 2 is such a step up, why is it being used instead of SG in some schools?
S

Very few people take Int2 spanish actually,since it is more difficult than SG. Only around 1500 candidates. Int2 format is almost identical to higher, which is why some schools use it.

And yes, I'm sure people can crash languages, yet I was suggesting she should stick with her french. I'm not trying to turn this into an argument lol I'm just saying my opinion :smile:
Reply 13
jackwka
Very few people take Int2 spanish actually,since it is more difficult than SG. Only around 1500 candidates. Int2 format is almost identical to higher, which is why some schools use it.

And yes, I'm sure people can crash languages, yet I was suggesting she should stick with her french. I'm not trying to turn this into an argument lol I'm just saying my opinion :smile:

I was going to say do French as well but I don't think OP's allowed as she got a 3 at SG.
Yeah, I realise I sounded like I was arguing lol sorry :p:
It could be very difficult for you :s
I did crash higher spanish and got an A after doing higher french and getting an A in that.

Doing Higher French might help first since you would learn all the patterns of verbs and stuff and have a wider range of vocabulary because many of the words are similar. They are also very similar to english words :wink:
Reply 15
:rolleyes:
jackwka
Int2 is significantly more difficult than SG spanish. I did int 2 in my 4th year and I'm doing higher this year. Int2 to higher spanish is nothing. I've done a few listenings, same stuff, but faster. But yeah, get a letter from your folks about higher french. Your school cannot really stop you from doing a subject you want. I wouldn't bother with Spanish at all. Even Int2 is probably un-do-able.

I'd disagree, I'm crashing Int 2 French without any prior knowledge and I'm coping well so far.

To be honest, It has a lot to do with how commited you are and If you are actually genuinely interested in the language.

I don't know If expirience is TOTALLY necessary, but I did get a 2 in German, so maybe that's helped.

I'd definitely agree with doing Int 2 in S5 and H in S6 though!

Upto you.

Latest

Trending

Trending