The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, Oxford and Cambridge come pretty high on the list.

Otherwise, I'd probably say places like UCL, Durham, KCL, Edinburgh, Exeter, Reading - in fact, take a look at: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html and go to "see subject tables in full" and then "french" and that might give you a better idea.

But the times tables aren't the be all and end all and they aren't a perfect representation of where's "best" to take French.

Also, there are things other than just reputation to consider, as I'm sure you realise.

Hope this helps a little.

--

Yttrium
I'd say Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, KCL, UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Bath, maybe Warwick... but every Uni does French (except possibly LSE, and I think they still do language components) so it doesn't really matter with league tables here.
As with all Arts degrees, the standing of the Uni you go to doens't matter anything like as much as your class of degree - most arts graduates rarely if ever use their degree to get a specific job, so any employer won't know the ins-and-outs of the subject rankings

(i hope you understood that, it came out rather garbled!)
Reply 3
Yeh it's coz im thinkin of doin french before a law conversion and i want to know wat the law schools would prefer

And does anyone have an idea of wat i could do french with as a degree which might be useful for later (gettin into the big law firms)
Reply 4
Boss_Capone
Yeh it's coz im thinkin of doin french before a law conversion and i want to know wat the law schools would prefer

And does anyone have an idea of wat i could do french with as a degree which might be useful for later (gettin into the big law firms)

All sorts, although you're excluding law: politics, history, european studies, international relations, english, sociology. There will be a whole load of combined honours including french. You just need to find one that really appeals to you.

May I ask why you're not considering a Law and French/Maîtrise etc degree in the first place?
Reply 5
QM for Linguistics according to the Times Report? and for French they didn't do too bad either. As linguistics would be a more all round proposition, why not go for that.
Reply 6
My grades aren't good enough for top law unis as its so popular and some firms like conversions as it shows u got different skills

wats the difference tween linguistics and french?
I think linguistics is the study of language, e.g. you'll study how language evolved, etymology, phonetics, philology..., whereas when you study the language you study grammar etc and also literature and culture.

If you wanted to do a law conversion course after your french degree my advice would be do French & History, or maybe French & International Relations.

You can do law and french as a first undergraduate degree, but doing a conversion course is a perfectly viable alternative - i think I may end up doing one of those.

Latest

Trending

Trending