The Student Room Group

HUGE PROB! MSc at UCL or Manchster b4 Doc clinical psychology

Hi everyone,

I intend to persue a career as an clinical psychologist. Having just graduated with Bsc Psychology with Neuroscience (2:1), I'm planning to do 1 year Master before applying Doc.
However, I got 2 offers, one is from UCL with Msc clinical neuroscience, another one is from Manchester uni with Msc clinical&health psychology.
I could not make my mind which one to choose since I'm personally interested in the course provided by UCL (Msc clinical neuroscience), nevertheless, the course by Manchester (Msc linical psychology) might be more relevant with my further degree.
Could anyone give me some suggestions? Shall I follow my interest or not? How important is the role of a Msc degree in applying Doc clinical psychology course if I already have a 2:1 (besides experience)?
I urgently need some suggestions! please feel free to reply me!!

Thanks
Reply 1
hello2.welcome
Hi everyone,

I intend to persue a career as an clinical psychologist. Having just graduated with Bsc Psychology with Neuroscience (2:1), I'm planning to do 1 year Master before applying Doc.
However, I got 2 offers, one is from UCL with Msc clinical neuroscience, another one is from Manchester uni with Msc clinical&health psychology.
I could not make my mind which one to choose since I'm personally interested in the course provided by UCL (Msc clinical neuroscience), nevertheless, the course by Manchester (Msc linical psychology) might be more relevant with my further degree.
Could anyone give me some suggestions? Shall I follow my interest or not? How important is the role of a Msc degree in applying Doc clinical psychology course if I already have a 2:1 (besides experience)?
I urgently need some suggestions! please feel free to reply me!!

Thanks

Hello, if it's the field of psychology you want enter, I'm not sure doing a masters in clinical neuroscience is the best option. Gaining a masters when you already have a 2:i isn't necessarily something required. What is required however is experience working with clinical populations alongside the ability to reflect on these experiences.

I would say that if you are finding it difficult gaining a place as an assistant psychologist and want to gain further research experience, then the Msc in Clinical and Health Psychology is much more in line with your future aspirations than clinical neuroscience.
Just for a little spanner in the works here- if your main interest and passion is in neuroscience, then perhaps that is where your true career path should lead, rather than clinical psychology

Latest