The Student Room Group

Modelling Scam?

Two weeks ago I was walking down the high street when someone stopped me and asked if I would be interested in being an extra. They took a picture, gave me a business card and said they'd call me. All well and good. They called me a few days ago saying they liked my look and could maybe offer both modelling and extra work, they just needed a few details like my height, and then a casting agent would be in touch.

They called today, I had a short telephone interview and then they said they'd like to add me to the books. They said they were going to offer me to two clients for jobs, tmobile for a commercial and a catalogue shoot. They said they'd e-mail me my username and password and I could create an online profile, and could I e-mail them my photos. But it turns out they needed fashion photoshoot ones like from a portfolio which I'd have to buy myself. They insisted upon this, saying I needed three different hairstyles and make up done by a professional, when tbh my dad has a great camera and I bet he could take a few flattering photos. I quickly said this wasn't going to be immediately possible ( I wasn't entirely convinced) and that I'd just have extra work, which wouldn't require pictures. She put me on hold for ages then came back saying the director had agreed to pay for the studio/photographer etc and that I'd just have to buy the photos. I warmed to the idea, especially if it meant the work I'd get would pay for it. She mentioned a specific studio and said I could have an appointment this sat/sun. I said sun would be best but I will have to check with my parents, don't put any money down, and she said she would just keep a place open, and would call tomorrow morning.

However now I've got an e-mail saying they've put down a flipping £255 deposit which I'll be liable for should I not show!! I got home and my mum laughed at the idea saying it was a scam. I got a bit carried away when they were promising £100-£500 a day regular work but I never agreed to anything other than being put on their books! I've recieved no username or password either.

Heres the link to the studio website: looks legit but the photos could cost me hundreds! And I really don't like the style, my dad really could do better.

http://www.fusionphoto.co.uk

I'm worried about having to pay the money. I don't want to go, it'll cost hundreds for photos I won't even like, but I'm not even in the position where I can ask for just extra work now! What should I do? Think its a scam? HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this Zebra? I got approached by them too. I don't think it's a scam exactly but I wouldn't do it all the same. You can get ripped off without necessarily getting scammed. Ring them up and tell them to cancel the appointment, if you're still worried ring fusion and confirm that it's been cancelled.
fantasystar38
Two weeks ago I was walking down the high street when someone stopped me and asked if I would be interested in being an extra. They took a picture, gave me a business card and said they'd call me. All well and good. They called me a few days ago saying they liked my look and could maybe offer both modelling and extra work, they just needed a few details like my height, and then a casting agent would be in touch.

They called today, I had a short telephone interview and then they said they'd like to add me to the books. They said they were going to offer me to two clients for jobs, tmobile for a commercial and a catalogue shoot. They said they'd e-mail me my username and password and I could create an online profile, and could I e-mail them my photos. But it turns out they needed fashion photoshoot ones like from a portfolio which I'd have to buy myself. They insisted upon this, saying I needed three different hairstyles and make up done by a professional, when tbh my dad has a great camera and I bet he could take a few flattering photos. I quickly said this wasn't going to be immediately possible ( I wasn't entirely convinced) and that I'd just have extra work, which wouldn't require pictures. She put me on hold for ages then came back saying the director had agreed to pay for the studio/photographer etc and that I'd just have to buy the photos. I warmed to the idea, especially if it meant the work I'd get would pay for it. She mentioned a specific studio and said I could have an appointment this sat/sun. I said sun would be best but I will have to check with my parents, don't put any money down, and she said she would just keep a place open, and would call tomorrow morning.

However now I've got an e-mail saying they've put down a flipping £255 deposit which I'll be liable for should I not show!! I got home and my mum laughed at the idea saying it was a scam. I got a bit carried away when they were promising £100-£500 a day regular work but I never agreed to anything other than being put on their books! I've recieved no username or password either.

Heres the link to the studio website: looks legit but the photos could cost me hundreds! And I really don't like the style, my dad really could do better.

http://www.fusionphoto.co.uk

I'm worried about having to pay the money. I don't want to go, it'll cost hundreds for photos I won't even like, but I'm not even in the position where I can ask for just extra work now! What should I do? Think its a scam? HELP!

if its too good to be true it usually is

I personally would not bother just to be safe or find more about the company first
Reply 3
Have you signed anything?
Sounds like a scam.

They wouldn't have shoots lined up for you before you had even shown them a portfolio.
I've always heard that any 'modelling agencies' who ask for money for -anything- is a scam
This is a textbook scam.

Textbook I tell you

Just ignore them.
Reply 7
well they said you were liable if you don't show, so as long as you do and they're not asking for any money it should be legit.
scam. its not so much a modelling agency but a "make-over studio" which offers "make-over experiences" as they call it. if thats what you want then go for it.
It's a scam; the voice recording on the site's horrible!
heroine
well they said you were liable if you don't show, so as long as you do and they're not asking for any money it should be legit.

chances are they will take some photos and pressure sell them for crazy prices.
Sounds like a scam.

Wasn't it obvious? There are so many absolutely gorgeous girls out there, so why would they pick someone average and random (no offence) from the street to model for them?
Yes the delightfully charming girl with that delicious set of clothing really sold it for me :rolleyes:
Clubber Lang
This is a textbook scam.

Textbook I tell you

Just ignore them.

This.

Plus there's no way a shoot for this occasion would cost more then £225 so that seems ridiculous especially as a deposit!!
Huge scam, I was approached for this a few years ago in some mass x factor style audition thing and they wanted £250 up front to do a photo portfolio so I said no. If there's nothing in black and white that you've signed to do with it then as far as my legal knowledge goes, they're just after some money.
Complete scam.
I had the same situation (with diesel models)... except they said i'd need to make my own way to London, but the photoshoot was all paid for by them etc. However, I would need to pay for the photos. Its a load of crap btw... any modelling agency doesn't need to see you have a portfolio. They would be able to tell your talent from simple/normal photos and just by your general appearence. So, if you're thinking about this as a career... then just send some photos into all the agencies. I'm sure you'll get booked sooner or later :smile:
My friend had this done to her. It's a scam. :sadnod:
Reply 17
Psycho0101
Wasn't it obvious? There are so many absolutely gorgeous girls out there, so why would they pick someone average and random (no offence) from the street to model for them?

That's not very nice. I'd certainly say she's quite far above average appearance-wise.
I noticed on your profile you're from Manchester - my best friend goes to uni there and the same exact thing happened to her!! It's definitely a scam, no model agency should ever ask you to pay for anything!
Reply 19
That website looks so cheap and crap, i highly doubt a modelling agency would use something like that. Although ive never been onto a modelling agencies website.

Latest

Trending

Trending