The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Retaking courses?

Whilst speaking to a friend today regarding the Open University, a couple of questions arose that I was unfortunately unable to answer. However, I would be ever-so-thankful if you, the kind inhabitants of The Student Room could perhaps help me out a little. Just so I can give my friend an informed answer.

- If you failed a course that is part of a degree you are working toward, would you be able to retake that course? If so, where would you stand with regards to the financial assistance you usually receive?

- If you were to do poorly/very poorly (but not outright fail) on a course, but performed well on the rest, and as a result it 'pulled down' the final grade of your degree, would you be able to retake that course?

- If you usually receive full financial support for your courses, is it possible to obtain it for courses that are worth less than 30 points? (For example, the 10-point short courses).

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
You can retake the course in full see http://www.open.ac.uk/assessment/pages/course-results-questions-and-answers.php#q21, I really don't know if this would be covered by financial support or not.
The financial support is different for 10 point courses (different forms to fill out) but I think it is very similar criteria.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
I think I remember reading that if you fail or do badly in a course you can even just redo specific parts of it rather then the whole thing. I think that might have been in an email from the OU when I was in the process of dropping a course. Sorry I can't be more concrete with info tho. Will look later when I'm not working.
For the less than 30 point courses I think you have to be on benefits, etc, to get financial support - not just earning under a certain amount
Reply 4
Taken from the OU website -

"I'll be studying less than 30 credit points, is there any financial support?

The OU provides financial awards for courses of less than 30 credit points that do not attract any support from the government course fee grant scheme. As this funding is limited, only those students who are unemployed or on certain benefits will generally receive support for these course fees."
Reply 5
raspberryswirl
For the less than 30 point courses I think you have to be on benefits, etc, to get financial support - not just earning under a certain amount

½+½
Taken from the OU website -

"I'll be studying less than 30 credit points, is there any financial support?

The OU provides financial awards for courses of less than 30 credit points that do not attract any support from the government course fee grant scheme. As this funding is limited, only those students who are unemployed or on certain benefits will generally receive support for these course fees."

Thank you very much! Taking a closer look at the FAQs on the website would have probably been a wise choice on my part :o:
Reply 6
I can definitely confirm ½+½'s post. I phoned the OU about a 10 point course, and for assistance, you have to be in receipt of state benefits.
Reply 7
basically dependng oh where you fail you can just retake that part.

One of my friends past part 1 of a module but failed part 2 (1 TMA & 1 iCMA) and is just registering for part 2 again at a reduced cost £88 (they send you all the information you need). You can pay this in full, through your student account or if you had financial support for the course & you situation hasn't change then you could do it that way.
Otherwise you have to take the whole course again

Latest