The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leeds let 2 people in like this last year. One already had had an unsuccessful interview last year.
Reply 2
I would ring up ASAP, if you do indeed get AAAA but I would also say don't get your hopes up, and also think about a year out and applying in September for 2010 entry OR biomed/equivalent and applying as a post-grad.
Goshhh, im so nervous, what should i say to them?
Reply 4
Would be very wise to wait a year and reapply next year, and improve your chances with interview skills, more work experiences, anything to make your application stand out etc, seeing as those grades are fab!
Reply 5
pingu09
Would be very wise to wait a year and reapply next year, and improve your chances with interview skills, more work experiences, anything to make your application stand out etc, seeing as those grades are fab!

But it would make sense to at least try this year.
I rang them all and they all said they are over subscribed and aren't going into clearing.......damnn what a waste of 4 A's.
Reply 7
sweetlikesugar
I rang them all and they all said they are over subscribed and aren't going into clearing.......damnn what a waste of 4 A's.

Just because you can't get into medicine for 2009 entry doesn't mean your A levels are wasted. If you really want to do medicine, maybe taking a gap year and applying in October for 2010 entry would be a good idea.
I would, but there's always the chance I dont make it again next year. I really don't want to take a gap year because I am really motivated to start studying and learning now.
You could always try Trinity College, Dublin - I wouldn't know the channels which you'd have to go through, but it could be worth a shot.
sweetlikesugar
I'm hoping to get AAAA, is there any hope of gaining a place anywhere for medicine?? I've been rejected to all my 4, without interviews, but is there any chance of last minute places?

There's some good and specific medicine clearing advice in the Medicine forum, so I'm moving your thread there.
Just been on the website it says

"Applications MUST be made on-line via www.cao.ie not later than 1 February 2009.

Applicants must also register for the HPAT-Ireland admission test by 20 January 2009 (via www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au)."

Too late I think. Is the HPAT like the UKCAT??
Reply 12
I got AAAAA last year and got into Dundee Medical school last year through clearing... but then I turned them down for my own reasons and took a gap year instead. It's very possible. However I suspect I got the place because I made my calls the week before when the Scottish people got their results... and the day before results day because they knew at that point if they filled the quota or not.
No matter what, remain persistent and try and get them to note down your details and keep your home line free! Call via mobile instead... just in case they decide to interview you. It's unlikely you will get in however...

What are you planning on doing if clearing doesn't work out?
To people who have 4/ 3As and don't have a place:

Plz do consider taking a gap year. I did and so did my mates and if you plan ahead well then you can really utilise it. Organise some w/e/voluntary work asap and start preparing for UKCAT... Kaplan or otherwise... Start preparing answers for all sorts of possible interview qz... don't have to/never memorise anything- just reading up and writing it down will ensure that you have a lot to talk about in your interviews... read medical ethics books if u can...

Start preparing your PS... v. important... However, it's not all hard-work! You will have plenty of spare time! Trust. Had the best time of my life... Just get all the hard-work in early and once you have one offer, you don't have to worry about anything. And 80% of re-applicants who have the grades will get an offer second time around!

Those who don't have the grades, just do "resits". I know a few who got in that way this year... So, yeah GL and if you need any help jus pm me... ;-)
sweetlikesugar
I would, but there's always the chance I dont make it again next year. I really don't want to take a gap year because I am really motivated to start studying and learning now.

Don't be daft. One year is nothing - my gap year was the best year of my life. If you really do want to be a doctor then take a gap year, if you're not bothered then go to uni in september. Bear in mind though, that you're unlikely to get on a popular course at a good uni through clearing, all those courses will have filled up long ago - and making do with any course just for the sake of going to uni this year really would be a waste of your grades...
Reply 15
is it really worth phoning up? I also got AAAA and my parents have been nagging me to death to do it, but I just don't think it's going to be a fruitful investment of time.
Reply 16
Erebus
is it really worth phoning up? I also got AAAA and my parents have been nagging me to death to do it, but I just don't think it's going to be a fruitful investment of time.

sweetlikesugar says she rang all of them and they all said they were oversubscribed, so it's probably not going to help you at all
Reply 17
Hygeia
sweetlikesugar says she rang all of them and they all said they were oversubscribed, so it's probably not going to help you at all

I didn't think so :frown:

Do you know by any chance what the pre-medical course at Thames Valley is?
Reply 18
Erebus
I didn't think so :frown:

Do you know by any chance what the pre-medical course at Thames Valley is?

We had one of their students on the forum a couple of months ago saying do NOT go there. If you do a search in med you should be able to find the thread but basically the course doesn't guarantee you anything and isn't accepted at most medical schools so isn't worth it.
Reply 19
Hygeia
We had one of their students on the forum a couple of months ago saying do NOT go there. If you do a search in med you should be able to find the thread but basically the course doesn't guarantee you anything and isn't accepted at most medical schools so isn't worth it.

Yeah it seemed a bit suspect that it was in clearing :rolleyes: !

Hygeia, how much would it cost to make you my life coach? :yep: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending