The Student Room Group

1 Mark off an A.... Help please

Hi all,

I have just received my A -level results
Biology A
Geography A
Chemistry B (ONE MARK OFF an A!! :frown: )
General Studies B.

I haven't applied to verterinary yet but am planning to this october.

Do you know whether the universites that state they want an A grade in Chemistry would still consider me as I as was just one mark off? Or would they reject me straight away? Please be honest with me :smile:

Ahh I'm so gutted :frown:

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Er they may consider, but usually chemistry A is essential. Try a remark and after that you should decide.
Reply 2
first of all, liverpool and bristol both accept a B in chemistry, so you have a chance there still
secondly, since you were so close see if you can get anything remarked, they could find that extra mark somewhere
Reply 3
Annaconda
first of all, liverpool and bristol both accept a B in chemistry, so you have a chance there still
secondly, since you were so close see if you can get anything remarked, they could find that extra mark somewhere

Yeh I ill get a remark and pray I get an extra mark from somewhere... I've never been so desperate for an extra mark .

I'm just really shocked, as chemistry is the one I was most confident about :frown:

If my remark comes back and I still have a B, what do you guys think about re-sitting to get an A?
Reply 4
Get a remark, maybe resit a module. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest because seeing as you are borderline A, your 6th form wil probably be willing to predict you an A and you won't have to declare your B grade on UCAS. So you're still in with a very good chance.
Reply 5
Is this AS?
I want a remark for Psychology as I was 1 UMS from an A. When does the college need to know by?
Reply 6
Dijobla
Get a remark, maybe resit a module. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest because seeing as you are borderline A, your 6th form wil probably be willing to predict you an A and you won't have to declare your B grade on UCAS. So you're still in with a very good chance.

Thanks, I'm worried about re-stting as well as don't unis 'frown' against that lol.

I have now left my sixth form so these are my actual A-level results... I didn't apply for veterinary last year, I applied for biology insted as I didn't think I had enough work experience (And at the time, my naive self thought that last year was the only chance I would get to apply to university.)
Remark is a good idea, worth the money for 1 mark. Uni's dont have to know about resits. If you've got 3 A's then they'll be happy, no matter how you got them.
Trust me - get a priority remark......it's almost certain that it will go up!
Reply 9
Smarty_Pants
Trust me - get a priority remark......it's almost certain that it will go up!

Thanks, I am going to get a re mark, and really hope it goes up :smile:

Does anybody know of any one who got a B in chemistry/Biology being accepted by Universites for veterinary (other thjan bristol and liverpool) ?
emmataylor07
Thanks, I am going to get a re mark, and really hope it goes up :smile:

Does anybody know of any one who got a B in chemistry/Biology being accepted by Universites for veterinary (other thjan bristol and liverpool) ?

someone i know was accepted to glasgow with a B, i think they might have just missed their offer though, i dont know if they would interview you with a B, im gonna email them and ask later today.
Reply 11
i just got my results. AAB but am 2 UMS off an A in art. Do you think it's worth a priority remark?
Reply 12
remark or resit a module
Reply 13
Annaconda
im gonna email them and ask later today.

Thankyou Annaconda :smile:
Reply 14
kaby
i just got my results. AAB but am 2 UMS off an A in art. Do you think it's worth a priority remark?

Well, you don't really NEED to as you have the grades needed to get in to any where. But it's whether you WANT to so you can say "I got 3 A's" lol.

I would be tempted to get it remarkedjust so I could say I have 3 A grades at A-level lol.
I agree with everyone else. Get the remark then if that doesn't bring joy, do one module resit in january.
Reply 16
Im in the same boat, needed AAB for History and Politics, missed out by one UMS mark (479) and ended up with ABB. In previous years they would have possibly lowered the offers but due to the overwhelming demand for places Unis are taking a hard stance. Ive decided a priority remark is my only option other than taking my insurance. What Id like to know is the likelihood of it going up, not by a grade which are the statistics which AQA gives but even by a mark (as thats all I need). Ring your uni first, ask them if theyll consider lowering for you or if they hold a place till you get your remark (better yet get your bolshiest teacher to ring em for you thats what I did and theyve agreed to hold a place even after the 31st)
emmataylor07

Do you know whether the universites that state they want an A grade in Chemistry would still consider me as I as was just one mark off? Or would they reject me straight away? Please be honest with me :smile:

My offer from Notts was AAB and they didn't stipulate which subject the B could be in. (I took Maths, Chem and Biol.) I can't remember which ones insisted on an A in Chem for the application and there seems to be some variation in offers based on interview etc. Worth ringing them if it isn't clear. Good luck with the remark though and then it won't matter any more :smile:
hi, im in sort of the same position i got accepted at my uni even though they wanted AAA, i got AABB, 1 mark from an A, should i still get a remark or just leave it and how do i go about doing getting a remark? is there an official deadline too?

sorry for all the questions

Remark, if it doesn't go up you could still apply with AAB as lots of people get AAB offers. Just make sure your application stands out in other ways such as work experience.

If you don't think your work experience is good enough then take a gap year, retake one of your modules and get more work experience, then you would have a really good application next year! I think most of the vet schools are ok with retakes.

Latest

Trending

Trending