The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LJBzzz
Yeah well its passed now and I have no place so I am going to have to take a gap year. I acknowledge that some people have found places, but for Geography is was absolutely useless. Also more university places didnt need to be filled, there were a surplus of applications and candidates anyway, making this year harder than ever to find a university of results day.

Congratulations though :smile:

I wasn't aware competition Geography was so high. Certainly, no one in my year applied for it.

Yes, but adjustment and clearing helped to fill places that otherwise would have been left empty. They are responsible for creating the rush to get places.... I assume in the past, you couldn't see which places were going, and just had ring the Uni's up.
Thanks though.
Reply 61
Choccielatte
I wasn't aware competition Geography was so high. Certainly, no one in my year applied for it.

Yes, but adjustment and clearing helped to fill places that otherwise would have been left empty. They are responsible for creating the rush to get places.... I assume in the past, you couldn't see which places were going, and just had ring the Uni's up.
Thanks though.

Haha, I can tell you now, i thought Geography was relatively easy to get into, but there may have been comparatively less spaces this year because university places were capped tightly, and universities might have capped Geog more than Law, History etc. I don't know its just a bit hard to take. I almost presumed by phoning round I would get a break on results day, and be given a place by a good university. Apparently not eh!
LJBzzz
Haha, I can tell you now, i thought Geography was relatively easy to get into, but there may have been comparatively less spaces this year because university places were capped tightly, and universities might have capped Geog more than Law, History etc. I don't know its just a bit hard to take. I almost presumed by phoning round I would get a break on results day, and be given a place by a good university. Apparently not eh!

The trick to ringing round was to not give up. Granted, Sheffield was the 2nd Uni I called, but I kept ringing others. At one stage I was using both my mobile and the landline to ring 2 unis simultaneously in the hope I'd get through to one while the other was ringing.

Also, fast action was the key. I got my results at 10, home by 10.45 - Uni place confirmed by 11.30.
Reply 63
Choccielatte
The trick to ringing round was to not give up. Granted, Sheffield was the 2nd Uni I called, but I kept ringing others. At one stage I was using both my mobile and the landline to ring 2 unis simultaneously in the hope I'd get through to one while the other was ringing.

Also, fast action was the key. I got my results at 10, home by 10.45 - Uni place confirmed by 11.30.

I got my results at 6am, and was ringing round at 7.30am. It just didnt work out. Nevermind, not alot I can do now, just go next year if I dont go to my firm.
LJBzzz
I got my results at 6am, and was ringing round at 7.30am. It just didnt work out. Nevermind, not alot I can do now, just go next year if I dont go to my firm.

Good luck to you.

It can't work for everybody, I guess. So next year, at least you can rest easy in the knowledge that you'll have a Uni place to reflect your true ability. :smile:
Reply 65
Choccielatte
I did reply to a thread asking for a success story, but no one replied to me :smile:

where?
Paulwhy
where?

Media forum :smile:
Reply 67
LJBzzz
Yeah well its passed now and I have no place so I am going to have to take a gap year. I acknowledge that some people have found places, but for Geography is was absolutely useless. Also more university places didnt need to be filled, there were a surplus of applications and candidates anyway, making this year harder than ever to find a university of results day.

Congratulations though :smile:

I think that a bit disingenuous given that Bristol were in Adjustment for your subject:smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=20782638
Reply 68
I applied for Queens through adjustment and got offered a place in English. Soon after I asked Sheffield to release me. Does that now mean that I add English as a clearing choice on UCAS now? Because I went ahead and did that, even though Queens have already read my application.
Reply 69
Chica_91
I applied for Queens through adjustment and got offered a place in English. Soon after I asked Sheffield to release me. Does that now mean that I add English as a clearing choice on UCAS now? Because I went ahead and did that, even though Queens have already read my application.

You have got it a bit wrong here, as with Adjustment you do not get your firm to release you!!
(Read the Adjustment and Clearing FAQs to learn more).
You probably need to ring up UCAS to sort the mess out.

Latest

Trending

Trending