The Student Room Group

Should I take gap year to reapply for a better university?

I got my results today and they were much better than I'd being predicted which is all great of course, however, the University I'd applied for wasn't the best and only needed 200 points I actually got 3 A's and a B and don't know whether I'd be best to reapply for a better university next year.

I've tried adjustment but all the places for English at the Univeristies I'm looking at have already been taken up.

I'm worried though that if I take a gap year that I'll fall out of practice and begin to forget things. I also feel a gap year could be a waist as I wouldn't be sure what to do for the whole year.

I'll be grateful for any advice,

many thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

blackbox2342
I got my results today and they were much better than I'd being predicted which is all great of course, however, the University I'd applied for wasn't the best and only needed 200 points I actually got 3 A's and a B and don't know whether I'd be best to reapply for a better university next year.

I've tried adjustment but all the places for English at the Univeristies I'm looking at have already been taken up.

I'm worried though that if I take a gap year that I'll fall out of practice and begin to forget things. I also feel a gap year could be a waist as I wouldn't be sure what to do for the whole year.

I'll be grateful for any advice,

many thanks in advance.

English isn't a no no subject for gap years (it's discouraged for a lot of the sciences). Think about it from the opposite perspective. Do you think you'll be happy going to the university you have an offer for? Will you be satisfied and might you regret not going somewhere better? If you're not happy then take some time out. You don't want to end up going, having to pay tuition etc only to drop out. There are plenty of things you can do in a gap year, so this isn't a problem.

It's not about results alone though. If you picked your firm for the right reasons the first time it doesn't matter what the requirements are. Hopefully you like it there?
What some students do is take up a place in Uni this year and then transfer to a better one the following year. You could try that.
Reply 3
Perhaps think about taking up the offer you have and do the first year (I'm assuming it's for English) but apply to transfer to a 'better' uni to begin second year. That way, you don't waste a year. :wink:

That being said, I had an unwanted and unplanned gap year and I worked full time in the Civil Service. I earned some good money, put away some savings, have something for my CV and made some really good friends, so it wasn't a waste at all! :biggrin: Think about what you could do with the next 12 months...
You could take a year to make some money or go on holiay for a bit, maybe some work experience that might help after uni? Then you can leisurely decide about the course next year, you don't want to rush into anything.
When you that the university you had as a firm "wasnt the best" do you mean that purely based on the rankings or do you mean that you genuinely dont like it and dont fancy going there?

Maybe you could go visit the university again for a second look? A gap year is no bad thing but in orfer for it to work for you its important that you use it in a productive way.
Reply 6
Firstly, congrats on the grades!

I wouldn't choose a university based solely on the grade requirements, you need to think about whether you'd actually enjoy your experience there and what you would get out of it. Then you'd have to weigh that up with how much you value the reputation of the university.

I ended up going to a university which needed lower grades (I got AAC, they wanted CCD), but I am really enjoying it because I love the campus, we have an excellent student union, yet I still plan on doing a masters elsewhere in order to get a more prestigious uni on my C.V.
Reply 7
Essentially the university in rankings isn't particularly good and I'm worried it may hinder my chances for future work, I originally wanted to apply for Leeds but with the grades I was predicted I was told not to bother but I've actually meet their requirements and rang them this morning but they have no spaces.

I like the uni I applied for I'm just not sure that if I went to Leeds I'd have better chance in the world of work and I know I'd enjoy it equally.

Again if I reapplied and didn't get a place in Leeds then I would have wasted a year!

It's such a big decision and thank you all for your advice!
Reply 8
which is the not so good uni that you've got into?
It's solely down to you but I would probably take a gap year and reapply for 2010 entry, that's just me though.
Reply 10
which is the not so good uni that you've got into?

York St John's with which I only needed 200 points!

I've come out with 3 A's and a B!
Reply 11
I would say that you should never judge a course by it's entry requirements. My course at KCL is BBB/pass and yet I got AAA. A low offer will often be a way to attract applicants or because there may be little correlation between A level success and degree performance.

If you like the university and you like the course then you should go for it. Although AAAB is an excellent set of results and no doubt you may be able to get into a 'better' university (if that's what you want).

I'm taking a voluntary gap year now (I'll be starting at King's in 2010). I'm using the year out to work so I can get a decent amount of money for London. It isn't the most expensive city in the world, but it sure comes close! I plan on reading plenty of linguistic books to keep my academic brain working! I think a gap year is very useful to most arts/humanities students. A badly planned gap year isn't though and I can understand how they may not appeal to everybody.

EDIT: If I was you I would reapply for 2010 entry and take a gap year. With AAAB you could easily do better than York St John. 10 places on a league table doesn't mean all that much, but with those grades you could go to a top 10 university rather than one from the bottom. Again, this is just me. I know I couldn't go to a university if I had my doubts and in the back of my mind I was thinking 'what if'...
Reply 12
At York it would be English Literature while at Leeds it would be there combined English Language/Literature course.

I have a job so I could use it to save money up but how would a University like Leeds view a gap year?

Congratulations btw with regards to your results MDEH8176

That's another question, can I apply for next year now in case the grade boundaries were to go up for example?

Seems a stupid question with my grades but it's just something I'm thinking about!
Reply 13
I would reapply. I have just finished my gap year, having had the best year of my life, where I worked for a bit then went travelling - I now feel so much more ready for uni. I would advocate the same.
blackbox2342
At York it would be English Literature while at Leeds it would be there combined English Language/Literature course.

I have a job so I could use it to save money up but how would a University like Leeds view a gap year?

Congratulations btw with regards to your results MDEH8176

That's another question, can I apply for next year now in case the grade boundaries were to go up for example?

Seems a stupid question with my grades but it's just something I'm thinking about!

For English you'd be fine taking a gap year, so long as you're doing something productive (a job would count as productive)
Reply 15
well that's good, I could work my job and get some reading done! Also be cool to do a bit of travelling and take up some activities too.

EDIT: MDEH8176 you hit the nail on the head, in my mind right now I know I could go to York and enjoy it but I know I'll always have that 'what if?' element in my mind. I know as much as I'd enjoy York St John's I'd always have that element of regret when I know I could be at a better University.

It's such a shame there are no places via adjustment (I gave them a ring this morning), would I be right in thinking you can apply for 2010 entry now?
Reply 16
Well the first time I went through UCAS I ended up at my insurance choice. I had realised too late that it wasn't the place for me so I reapplied during my gap year and got into somewhere I much prefered. Personally I think it was one of the best decisions I ever made, but it was done solely because of where I would be happiest (the place I turned down was actually really highly respected).

Go where you will have the best three years and enjoy your degree. Screw what other people think.
blackbox2342
well that's good, I could work my job and get some reading done! Also be cool to do a bit of travelling and take up some activities too.

EDIT: MDEH8176 you hit the nail on the head, in my mind right now I know I could go to York and enjoy it but I know I'll always have that 'what if?' element in my mind. I know as much as I'd enjoy York St John's I'd always have that element of regret when I know I could be at a better University.

It's such a shame there are no places via adjustment (I gave them a ring this morning), would I be right in thinking you can apply for 2010 entry now?

You can't actually submit your form until 1st September, but you can start your application online.
I ended up turning down a prestigious drama school to reapply for Warwick Uni. Best thing I ever did. Don't be afraid of taking a gap year - it can be REALLY beneficial. I'm so glad I ended up taking two years out and think I've really benefitted.

Whilst you're young, take some time out to do things you won't get the chance to do once you're settled down with a stable job, house and mortgage... take the opportunity to travel, or do some work experience, meet new people and enjoy yourself.

You'll be at Uni for three years - make sure it's somewhere you want to be, studyign what you love, because otherwise it could be a very expensive regretful experience!
Reply 19
I wish this wasn't such a big and hard decision!

What would universities expect you to be doing during a gap year?

Just work experience, travelling, possibly reading up stuff like that?