The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know there are people on here doing Accounting and Finance too!

Show yourselves!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
There's two of us at least!

Although I will be at NTU!
Reply 3
Yo!
Reply 4
wassup !
Hi!
Reply 6
Wagwan
Reply 7
Gotta love the new Business School crew! See in lectures!!!
Reply 8
yes, plenty of 'crews' in A&F.
Yes! I'll be there, to find out what the hell I applied to do :wink:
Reply 10
captainedgar
Yes! I'll be there, to find out what the hell I applied to do :wink:

You will love this. I have heard first hand from very senior people in the department that the first year is "Boring as Hell". I can't wait!!!
Reply 11
vix_245
HAHA that's a good way to put it. Basically covers A level modules in Accounting, Economics, S1/S2/D1 maths modules. There is some new material though, like BSPC...fun module :p:
And also the group project module is pretty cool :cool:
Not all bad i I promise

At least I didn't do D1, so that's new :p:

What's BSPC? What are the nasty modules to watch out for?!
Reply 12
FunkMasterN
At least I didn't do D1, so that's new :p:

What's BSPC? What are the nasty modules to watch out for?!

I did all of S1/S2/D1 lol (quite enjoyed them actually). However I didn't do much accounting/economics apart from what was in business studies so that will be new to me.
Reply 13
Milch
I did all of S1/S2/D1 lol (quite enjoyed them actually). However I didn't do much accounting/economics apart from what was in business studies so that will be new to me.

I've done S1/S2 and economics...so it should be fun :smile:
Reply 14
vix_245
BSPC = Business in Social and Political Context. (this is if the modules stay the same for you guys). Its not bad at all content wise as it is something different to the other modules...lecturing style is a bit bleurgh and we hated the exam, probs due to it being the last one though!!

Errrrrm the group project (Business Planning Integrative Project) is hit or miss - it totally depends on the people you get put to work with (teams of 6) as to how it goes. Personally i really loved my group members and we got on great. Had drinks and stuff with them a few times too, good stuff! But some hated it cz they had weak members. But, if u happen to think of an amazing business idea - write it down and save it to use in this module!

Everyone will moan about Quantitative Analysis for Management stats modules (theres 2 of them) but at the beginning they literally go from how to draw a bar chart - we thought it was hilarious!! But as long as u do some good prep for the case study in the QAM2 exam, the exams are both open book so its really not too bad.

Overall I really enjoyed first year though, wasnt too hard but there were some interesting modules in there too (Understanding Organisational Behaviour was pretty cool, psychology stuff. Start the essay early though (during xmas is fine...loads of people were rushing to try and do it in the first week of jan). Also, try and do the Economics for Business essay...loads of people didnt and had to work extra hard - it does give u an understanding of what u have learnt (especially if u havent done eco before like I had).

Anything else feel free to ask! :biggrin:

Really great advice, thanks!

Do you get to pick your group, or is it random/who you happen to be next to at the time? When you say "try" the Eco. for Bus. essay, does that mean it's optional? Do you get extra credit?!?!? (Who doesn't love extra credit)
Reply 15
vix_245
The groups are picked at random, so u may be with people u know (i was already really good mates with one of my groupies :smile: ) but u just have to meet up and get to know each other. Turned out really well in my group, but others were not so successful. Just try your best, and remember that peer marking is an amazing way to punish people :biggrin: Be prepared to put a lot of hours in though. My final group meeting was about 26 hours long!! But we got a 2:1 in the module so worth it :smile:

The eco essay is optional...you get told that u dont have to do it, but a question on the exam is very similar, so it helps you to do it. And a common thing with people who failed the exam is that they didnt try the essay. It counts for nothing so they didnt see the point. Which i totally get...but i had no idea about eco, the lecturer went a bit fast for me personally, so I did the essay. Its just about investigating why interest rates change, inflation, exchange rates, GDP growth rates etc and how they interlink. Really helped me to understand, and YES it will help for the exam.
Again though, as I said earlier, it is set around the same time as the OB (understanding organisational behaviour) essay, i.e. due in second week of january - but, sort these out over xmas break (you do get 4 weeks off after all) and it will save a lot of bother. U can be in the position i was in last year - watching everyone panic cz they hadnt finished them with deadlines approaching, whereas i had sorted them over xmas.
:cool:

Cheers for the excellent advice...although working in xmas holidays...hmmm:rolleyes: , but i'm going to make an effort do it..so i can see how it feels to be on the other sides of things...i'm normally on the panic side.
Reply 16
Anyone else get the email from wbs today? My first ever email/letter from warwick..bar the email i got when i applied! :biggrin:
Reply 17
heyyo! looking forward 2 meet all da A&F ppl tis oct~
sk88
Anyone else get the email from wbs today? My first ever email/letter from warwick..bar the email i got when i applied! :biggrin:

Yea, from some woman called Trixy?

Got told I don't have to come in until October 5th :eek:
Reply 19
captainedgar
Yea, from some woman called Trixy?

Got told I don't have to come in until October 5th :eek:

Yehh Trixy

Latest

Trending

Trending