Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello from Belgium /Russia , to the AaF gang

See you in oct :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
hi, does any1 here know whether or not we need to buy any books for our 1st year? thanks :confused:
Reply 22
miciko
hi, does any1 here know whether or not we need to buy any books for our 1st year? thanks :confused:

We do, but there is no pre-reading as such (but they do suggest a few on my.wbs). They will tell us everything in the first few lectures, so buy stuff then and not now. Also, buy it from amazon etc. and not the Uni bookshop. Their prices are not very good at all.
Reply 23
vix_245
Yes there will be a core textbook for every module-ish. Most of them are now university custom publications which u can only get from the uni bookshop unfortunately.
However you could always pair up with someone and get a set of books between you, or alternatively there are copies in the library and also in the learning grid.
Check out the booksale in freshers week too. I know last year there were a million copies of the QAM1 and 2 books for cheap. To give u a hint, i bought them from the bookshop (newer versions) together for about £60-£70.

i'm from malaysia and the books here are only £25-£40 so im thinking of buying my books there..can u let me know exactly which books do we need? I heard that not all the books on our reading list is needed.. thanks! :wink:
Reply 24
vix_245
The problem with first year is that most of your books are custom publications - the university lecturers have pulled the best bits from other books and put them into one for your convenience. This means that the university is the only one to be able to sell such books, either through the freshers booksale or by the university bookshop. You wont be able to find these in Malaysia Im afraid. They even pull them offline so you cant find them on Amazon etc.
This one will probs be one though D.Begg, S.Fischer and R.Dornbusch Economics 8th edition 2004 but I seriously would advise not to buy them till you get here. Wait until the lecturer posts on my.wbs what the exact core text book will be, as last year they changed some for more custom books.

:yep: wow..ok dookies~ thanks alot :biggrin:
Heay guys, in case you havn't noticed, the timetables for us are now up on my.warwick. Presuming we all have the same modules enforced on us, it looks like we've got wednesdays off. ^_^ (and an early start friday) >_<

Reply 26
captainedgar
Heay guys, in case you havn't noticed, the timetables for us are now up on my.warwick. Presuming we all have the same modules enforced on us, it looks like we've got wednesdays off. ^_^ (and an early start friday) >_<

Nice one. I just had a good look at it and it's not that bad... Term 2 will be worse though.

At least we only have 2 hours total for week one (not including the intro lecture on the monday).

Is it 10am Monday morning for the intro lecture?

EDIT: I forgot we need to sign up for all the seminars too when we get there. That should fill things out a bit.
FunkMasterN
Nice one. I just had a good look at it and it's not that bad... Term 2 will be worse though.

At least we only have 2 hours total for week one (not including the intro lecture on the monday).

Is it 10am Monday morning for the intro lecture?

EDIT: I forgot we need to sign up for all the seminars too when we get there. That should fill things out a bit.

Oh this doesn't count seminars?!? Laeeem :frown:
Reply 28
captainedgar
Oh this doesn't count seminars?!? Laeeem :frown:

The seminars are only about 20 people sometimes, so you have to sign up to them for each module. All will become clear in the first lectures (hopefully)!
Reply 29
So how many hours do we add to that timetable to have an idea?
Reply 30
Guy.I
So how many hours do we add to that timetable to have an idea?

I'm not sure, maybe 4 or 5? You get a certain degree of chioce over the time.
Reply 31
Do we get any optional module choices in the first year?
sk88
Do we get any optional module choices in the first year?

From what I remember from the open day, we can only choose modules in the second and third year.

Theres a chance I may be wrong though, spent most of the open day lecture drawing with the WBS pen. (A sign of things to come? :rolleyes: )
Reply 33
captainedgar
From what I remember from the open day, we can only choose modules in the second and third year.

Theres a chance I may be wrong though, spent most of the open day lecture drawing with the WBS pen. (A sign of things to come? :rolleyes: )

Haha Thanks. Thats what i thought..did they give you lots of WBS plain paper in the open day... I refrained from using it all summer...just not to jinx it:p:
The lecture timetable suits me very, very well (sleep-ins alllll week!) =D

Here's to hoping the seminars/tutorials (around 3 hours worth I'd guess?) are all after 1PM.

Funky are you in Old Rootes?

Latest