The Student Room Group

Doing a FULL As/A2 in one year (year13)

Can this be done? I want to do sociology, I know it isn't the most 'respected' of subjects but i dont have any other subjects i want to do a full A2 in.

How difficult would this be to do?
Is the work load very heavy?
Do they do c/w ?
Are exams in jan and june?

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump !
Reply 2
Nobody can really answer this for sure. It's best to talk to a teacher at your school and see what they advise, i.e. would you be able to cope with the workload and could they structure your timetable to suit you taking lessons. Unless, of course, you wish to teach yourself and just go in to take the exams which is another possibility... Nobody can really say how hard it is or how much work you need to put in though, as surely only you can answer that based on your abilities. As for whether or not there is coursework, that would depend on the exam board you wish to take the exams with, and you can check that on their website online, perhaps? And yeah, it'd probably make sense to do the AS exams in January and the A2 ones in June (usually every module is available at both sessions, but don't quote me on that - check the exam board website again). Good luck if you decide to do it.
Reply 4
Stressworthy
Nobody can really answer this for sure. It's best to talk to a teacher at your school and see what they advise, i.e. would you be able to cope with the workload and could they structure your timetable to suit you taking lessons. Unless, of course, you wish to teach yourself and just go in to take the exams which is another possibility... Nobody can really say how hard it is or how much work you need to put in though, as surely only you can answer that based on your abilities. As for whether or not there is coursework, that would depend on the exam board you wish to take the exams with, and you can check that on their website online, perhaps? And yeah, it'd probably make sense to do the AS exams in January and the A2 ones in June (usually every module is available at both sessions, but don't quote me on that - check the exam board website again). Good luck if you decide to do it.

Thanks a lot, very helpful! :hugs:
I'm taking History in one year in September. I've been told to expect a far bit of work and to work hard, but I like a challenge [plus, history is amazing].

Talk to your head of sixth form about it, and also the head of sociology about what they think.

I've had to do some AS work over the summer, as it's unlikely that I'll be able to go to all of my AS lessons, but my history department has a policy of not entering students for exams in January, so like me you may have to take all the exams in June.

Good luck!
Reply 6
steffi.alexa

Good luck!

Thanks. What other subjects do you do and why have you decided to take it in one year?
Reply 7
Best way to do this is a foundation year, i did basically GCSE, AS and A Level maths and physics in a year. It's intensive but worth it. but it is more based towards engineering that i don't know if its much different from normal maths and physics but we covered pretty much everyone, i think only thing we didn't was space and planets in physics.
Reply 8
I'm doing English Literature in a year from September. I've already started some of the Literature A2 work. It'll be hard, but I'm up for the challenge :biggrin:
I did A level Maths in one year and I'm doing A level Further Maths in one year, from this coming September. It's not too difficult to cope with, but I guess it depends on how many other subjects you're taking, and how theoretical the subject would be. Maths is mainly all questions and answers, it's not an essay subject like History.. Personally I have no clue about Sociology and how much detail it contains, but really it's up to you, and I'm sure it would be possible if you're prepared to work :smile:
I did Art in a year, tons of work, but it paid off, A :biggrin:
Reply 11
haaaza23
I'm doing English Literature in a year from September. I've already started some of the Literature A2 work. It'll be hard, but I'm up for the challenge :biggrin:

So its possible then? I need an A! :frown:
Reply 12
Im thinking of tryin Statistics in one year, or history. I doubt I have the brains though..
Jinxy
Thanks. What other subjects do you do and why have you decided to take it in one year?

Last year [all AS] - Bio, Chem, Maths Stats, German

Next year - Bio A2, German A2, History AS&A2.

Orignially, I wanted to study medicine, but through work experience and my hatred for chemistry, I realised that it wasn't for me. I'm now applying for Ancient History [something I've always wanted to do] and so need History A level. I'm not really expecting to get any offers this year, due to this and the fact that I messed up German AS... But, if I don't, I'll ask to take English Lit. in one year - my 6th form will love me! :rolleyes:
Reply 14
steffi.alexa
Last year [all AS] - Bio, Chem, Maths Stats, German

Next year - Bio A2, German A2, History AS&A2.

Orignially, I wanted to study medicine, but through work experience and my hatred for chemistry, I realised that it wasn't for me. I'm now applying for Ancient History [something I've always wanted to do] and so need History A level. I'm not really expecting to get any offers this year, due to this and the fact that I messed up German AS... But, if I don't, I'll ask to take English Lit. in one year - my 6th form will love me! :rolleyes:

Good luck with it all :smile:
Reply 15
Check each board and see if they offer exams instead of cswk. I'm going to do Alevel AQA Psychology (no cswk) in a year and studying at home - its going to be hard work but it would be harder doing it at college because id have a wierd timetable that wouldnt work if I wanted a job.
Reply 16
yeah you can my mate goes to a private college where she did 4 As exams and 3 A2 in on year
Reply 17
jabed786
Check each board and see if they offer exams instead of cswk. I'm going to do Alevel AQA Psychology (no cswk) in a year and studying at home - its going to be hard work but it would be harder doing it at college because id have a wierd timetable that wouldnt work if I wanted a job.

Thanks.
My school don't do coursework in socio. If I do this is my timetable going to be more packed than last year? :frown:
Reply 18
Ye i did AS : Chem Phys Eco Maths
But i have decided to do Med ... got good grades in all the subjects ( except GS buh who give a **** about that )
I am dropping eco taking Bio AS but wondering whether i should take the A2 as well ...
Jinxy
Good luck with it all :smile:

Thanks, and you.

As for your timetable, ask your school how it'll turn out - it might not be too bad.