The Student Room Group

9 UMS marks off an A in A-Level Chemistry!:(

Hi,
I got a B in Chemistry. 9 marks off an A and I feel really bad. I wouldn't have felt this way if I'd gotten a moderate B but this is like an average of 79% per unit. I asked my subject teacher for advice and he really wasn't helpful. So please I need some advice from you. TSRians. My teacher didn't even realise how close i am to an A. He doesn't even know that 480 UMS is an A!!:eek: What should I do? Get a remark on all of the units or just some? Whats the likelyhood of the overall grade changing? I stand to get an A or lose £300.
Thank you for reading and please leave a reply.
depends how much the 300 worth to you in comparison with a higher grade... if it makes a big difference with uni, then i'd say go for it.. :smile:
Reply 2
Do you need the A for uni or something - if not just leave it.
I think 9 Marks off is a bit too much for a remark, remember you should only consider a remark if you are one or two marks away from the grade you needed, even though your thinking of getting a remark on more than one unit, you should be looking at a minimum of 5 UMS altogether, I say 9 is a bit too much. But then again it's up to you.
Reply 4
I don't know. One of my friends went from a D to a B in one module but he was certain that he had performed much better than his mark suggested. Worth a try I guess as otherwise you'll always wonder if you were done out of an A.
It's unlikely you'll find those points tbh.
Reply 6
I got 112/140 UMS in unit 2 biology how many marks is that?

Can some one explain how to do it.
Reply 7
I dont know what to do really. Am thinking of getting a remark on minimum 4 units. Then i'd be looking for 1 or 2 raw marks from each paper. That should make up the 9 ums marks. Am really torn tbh. If only i had a clear view of what i need to do. £300 doesn't come easy for me hence why i feel stuck as to what i need to do. Otherwise i'd just get a remark and not really be bothered about losing the money. There's no way i can lose the B grade if they lower some marks. The grade is really important as my first choice specifically asked for an A in chem. And I dnt have an insurance
Reply 8
i was 8 marks off an A in Biology AS, i burst into tears and went to my exam officer for remarks...she suggested that i should get the paper back first...then it's there is an adding error, she could appeal for me..it there is some problem with the marking..then i can request for a re-mark....hope this would be helpful for you:smile:
^^ My deadline for sending in submissions for remarking is the 7th of September, so yours I'm assuming is around the same. Seeing as it is important, I'd advise sending 2 papers off for priority marking and hope they get back before your deadline. If they don't budge, it's probably not worth wasting money on getting the other 2 remarked, as that'd be a significant number of points that you're looking for, and the chances are you just won't get them.
Reply 10
Thanx for your replies guys..really appreciate it.
I would also like views from someone who has a simalar problem or someone who did a remark to gain aroun 9 marks from 6 units.
123 alexis
I got 112/140 UMS in unit 2 biology how many marks is that?

Can some one explain how to do it.

That is exactly 55/85 marks. No calculations needed.

112/140 is the lowest A mark. And the A boundary, as determined by the official AQA grade boundaries this morning is 55/85.
I was 6 UMS (2%) from an A in AS OCR Biology.

Does anyone know from experience on whether it's worth a remark on my final unit?
Ciambottina
Hi,
I got a B in Chemistry. 9 marks off an A and I feel really bad. I wouldn't have felt this way if I'd gotten a moderate B but this is like an average of 79% per unit. I asked my subject teacher for advice and he really wasn't helpful. So please I need some advice from you. TSRians. My teacher didn't even realise how close i am to an A. He doesn't even know that 480 UMS is an A!!:eek: What should I do? Get a remark on all of the units or just some? Whats the likelyhood of the overall grade changing? I stand to get an A or lose £300.
Thank you for reading and please leave a reply.

is a priority remark £300?!?
I'm in the same boat!
AQA chemistry, 3 UMS AWAY from my 1st choice uni!!!
477 ums
distraught
are you allowed to do remarks on earlier units(AS's?)
Im thinking/hoping Unit 5+4 remarks since 6 is synoptic so would be a waste as 1 right answer..
Reply 15
I'm on the same boat, no university for me. January resits we shall meet again...

I went a bit mental and tried to drag the gradometer in the edexcel plus site to see if it would become an A

>.>
Reply 16
I had a similar problem. I missed an A in chemistry by 7 marks and therefore didn't meet my UCL offer of 3As. I've sent three of the papers for priority remark. Now here's the second problem UCL said that I have to get the results by the 2nd of September in order for them to take me. Edexcels target completeion date is 7th september. Does anyone know if there is any chance that I will get the results before the 2nd?

Thanks
Reply 17
I need 2 ums marks to go up to a B grade to get into my university choice. Does anyone know how many raw marks that is? I'm getting a priority remark which is around £47, but my college has offered to pay. If your grade does go up then AQA will refund you.
Reply 18
Ciambottina
Thanx for your replies guys..really appreciate it.
I would also like views from someone who has a simalar problem or someone who did a remark to gain aroun 9 marks from 6 units.

4 marks away from a B in Music. 13 marks away from a B in Biology.

Yeah..

Latest