The Student Room Group

American postgrad student applying for UK med school

I'm an American postgrad student and I want to apply for UK med schools. Does anyone know which schools are more likely to accept north american students and how they feel about postgraduate students.
Should i take the bmat and the ukcat or is the ukcat sufficient? What do they look for in postgrad students besides work experience? My grades in chemisty (Cs), 2 years ago, were awful and I'm scared that will affect my admission. Is there a way to prove my competence. Thanks, any feedback would be very much appreciated!! :smile:
Reply 1
Are you a graduate or a post-graduate? In the UK post-graduate means you've done or are doing a masters or a PhD.

For graduates almost all med schools will look for long-term (a few years worth) work and voluntary experience, leadership skills, other interests etc. You'll also be expected to demonstrate a good understanding of the UK health care system.

For academic entry requirements you'll be better off emailing the med schools you're interested in and asking - most med school websites have little info regarding foreign qualifications. The entry test that you have to take, BMAT or UKCAT or both, depends on the schools you apply to.

Latest

Trending

Trending