The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My friends have done GCSE chinese exam. My friends didn't revise for it, as you can't. Just practice some past papers. In addition, my friends said that the questions are quite easy. Obviously, you know how to write chinese, and no matter what questions are give, you will be able to answer/write them.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I just want to know what's on the syllabus, so that I don't go blindly revise everything I know, because I know quite a lot of chinese, but I just can't really remember how to write them.
Try getting as much exposure as you can to Chinese texts, I tried surfing music sites online for my AS :biggrin: . Read some books or just watch Chinese VCD series with subtitles! I'm currently watching MARS. The GCSE is quite easy, to the extent it's boring. Also, revise how to write both formal and informal letters and relevant vocab. Hope that helps, good luck!
Reply 5
I would like to study this, but how many of the characters do you have to learn? And do you learn Simplified or Traditional Chinese? Mandarin or Cantonese?
Enfalas
I would like to study this, but how many of the characters do you have to learn? And do you learn Simplified or Traditional Chinese? Mandarin or Cantonese?

There's no set vocab list/no. of characters you need to learn. You can learn either Simplified/Tradition, Mandarin/Cantonese for the GCSE, but Simplified Mandarin is by far the better option.
sheerframboise
Try getting as much exposure as you can to Chinese texts, I tried surfing music sites online for my AS :biggrin: . Read some books or just watch Chinese VCD series with subtitles! I'm currently watching MARS. The GCSE is quite easy, to the extent it's boring. Also, revise how to write both formal and informal letters and relevant vocab. Hope that helps, good luck!

Any more tips for getting an A in Chinese AS?!
Try reading the news online in Chinese. That's what I did for Chinese AS, but I have yet to see my result (forgot to call in and I haven't gone to collect the mail yet ^^).
sugarwhirl89
Try reading the news online in Chinese. That's what I did for Chinese AS, but I have yet to see my result (forgot to call in and I haven't gone to collect the mail yet ^^).

But I can't!! I scraped an A* for GCSE, but how can I improve now, other than learning vocab lists? My vocab is tiny, it's all I needed for GCSE but that's not really saying much. For that GCSE it's more common sense than anything
Reply 10
lol omg gcse chinese was so easy it made me laugh (although i am a british born chinese!).

it was like ........omg it was just SO funny!

i managed to lose 1 mark? and that was on writing!
@Ace (sorry, but you're name's too long :P) - It's even more essential then that you read more Chinese stuff to expand your vocab range. It's a big step between Chinese GCSE and Chinese AS, you need to know stuff about the modern day society and you have to be able to translate Chinese into English, which is usually thought of as easier than English into Chinese, and you have to write an essay, you probably know all this already.
You can improve your vocab is by reading, since they don't have a vocab list for AS Chinese, unfortunately. The easiest is probably to have a nice stack of lined paper and a dictionary at hand while reading news online. It's boring, but you'll be surprised at what you learn. If you take Chinese lessons, it might be a good idea to ask your teacher to recommend books and dictionaries.
The easier, and possibly faster way of improving vocab is having conversations with other people in Chinese at least once a day. I did that and it helped lots, but then again, I have lots of contact with Chinese speaking people.
Good luck with it ^^ just try your best. I hope I've helped ><.

Edit: I forgot, there is one other way of improving vocab, but it involves getting an English-Chinese Dictionary, which I have had trouble finding in England, but it might be because of where I am... Anyway, you can try writing a diary in chinese. That would really help. But it can be very time-consuming... And during the day, whenever you're saying or thinking or writing something in English, just let yourself wonder at how you would say/write it in Chinese.
posh_git
lol omg gcse chinese was so easy it made me laugh (although i am a british born chinese!).

it was like ........omg it was just SO funny!

i managed to lose 1 mark? and that was on writing!

I'm only half-Chinese and when I was younger I refused to learn Chinese so..
sugarwhirl89
@Ace (sorry, but you're name's too long :P) - It's even more essential then that you read more Chinese stuff to expand your vocab range. It's a big step between Chinese GCSE and Chinese AS, you need to know stuff about the modern day society and you have to be able to translate Chinese into English, which is usually thought of as easier than English into Chinese, and you have to write an essay, you probably know all this already.
You can improve your vocab is by reading, since they don't have a vocab list for AS Chinese, unfortunately. The easiest is probably to have a nice stack of lined paper and a dictionary at hand while reading news online. It's boring, but you'll be surprised at what you learn. If you take Chinese lessons, it might be a good idea to ask your teacher to recommend books and dictionaries.
The easier, and possibly faster way of improving vocab is having conversations with other people in Chinese at least once a day. I did that and it helped lots, but then again, I have lots of contact with Chinese speaking people.
Good luck with it ^^ just try your best. I hope I've helped ><.

Edit: I forgot, there is one other way of improving vocab, but it involves getting an English-Chinese Dictionary, which I have had trouble finding in England, but it might be because of where I am... Anyway, you can try writing a diary in chinese. That would really help. But it can be very time-consuming... And during the day, whenever you're saying or thinking or writing something in English, just let yourself wonder at how you would say/write it in Chinese.

These are good - thanks for the ideas
Reply 14
How long would it take me to teach myself the GCSE Chinese? I am apt at learning languages.

In Year 7, I started German.
In Year 8, French.
Then in Year 10 I also picked up Spanish but had to continue French afterschool.

And i got A*s in all three and top five marks in the country for Spanish which I'd only been learning for 2 years.

Do you reckon I could learn the GCSE Chinese in 2 years? If I did 5/6 hours a week?

&#21890;&#25105;&#30340;&#21517;&#23383;&#26159;&#23433;&#19996;&#23612;
Enfalas
How long would it take me to teach myself the GCSE Chinese? I am apt at learning languages.

In Year 7, I started German.
In Year 8, French.
Then in Year 10 I also picked up Spanish but had to continue French afterschool.

And i got A*s in all three and top five marks in the country for Spanish which I'd only been learning for 2 years.

Do you reckon I could learn the GCSE Chinese in 2 years? If I did 5/6 hours a week?

&#21890;&#25105;&#30340;&#21517;&#23383;&#26159;&#23433;&#19996;&#23612;

Yeah you could
5/6 hours a week?! Wow, definitely. Just remember though, that there is a huge gap between occidental languages and oriental ones. And if you're a speaker of mainly occidental languages (which you seem to be) it would be best to actually take lessons with a Chinese teacher, rather than with computer programmes/books, because it's a lot easier to learn vocab (and grammar) by conversing for Chinese. And when learning languages, IMO, it's not just for the grade; if you plan on learning Chinese, you should really be interested in learning to speak and communicate the language itself - makes it easier to learn.
GCSE Chinese is specifically aimed at foreigners who are beginners (- intermediates) in Chinese. It's easier than French or Spanish GCSE, I can promise you that :biggrin:. Good luck with it ^^.
@Ace - you're welcome. I'm glad I could help :biggrin:.
Reply 18
I had the opportunity to do Chinese last year but didn't take it for some reason... I wish I had now. If I get the chance again I will take it... maybe.
Go for it! It's a good language to learn ^^, especially now that China's economy's rising.

Latest

Trending

Trending