The Student Room Group

Duke of Edinburgh Award

Hi, i was just thinking about my duke of edinburgh bronze award and i think ive done all the sections i need to do. So just want to check that all the activities ive done are valid.

For my skill ive done my driving lessons,
For my physical activity ive done golf lessons for 6 months,
For my volunteering ive done worked at a chemical company for 4 weeks un-paid (accumilates to over 3 months work easily)

Could you let me know if all this is ok please.

Reply 1
Yes, as long as you get it signed. Except for the volunteering, it isn't accumulative, you are supposed to do 1 hr+ a week for 3 months, not 3 months worth in a short period of time. Its not the time, its the commitment to the work so they look at the dates that you worked there.
My friend got one of his family to sign a section in his book...
And chances are he'll have to spend the rest of next year trying to do something new for his skill...
Poor boy :frown:
azhao
Yes, as long as you get it signed. Except for the volunteering, it isn't accumulative, you are supposed to do 1 hr+ a week for 3 months, not 3 months worth in a short period of time. Its not the time, its the commitment to the work so they look at the dates that you worked there.

So I have to volunteer for 3 months for at least 1 hour a week? Does it have to be the same place and 3 months continuous work aswell?

Thanks
azhao

technically...

But my leader let me do that for my bronze. they aren't too fussy for bronze. as long as it looks like you did it over 3months.. and is dated that way.. i know it's not strictly correct, if you don't let anyone know it was over in 4 weeks it's fine, as you've done the right amount of hours. it depends on your leader.
Reply 5
UndercoverChemist
So I have to volunteer for 3 months for at least 1 hour a week? Does it have to be the same place and 3 months continuous work aswell?

Thanks
Doesn't have to be the same place, you can do a transfer (theres a section in the booklet about transferring stuff). You can also take a break, it'll just need to be 3 months on the book.
azhao
Doesn't have to be the same place, you can do a transfer (theres a section in the booklet about transferring stuff). You can also take a break, it'll just need to be 3 months on the book.

Am I right in presuming you've done DoE? If so, what did you do for your volunteering? Struggling for ideas.
Reply 7
UndercoverChemist
Am I right in presuming you've done DoE? If so, what did you do for your volunteering? Struggling for ideas.
Yeah I've done D of E Gold, helped out at my Church, did childcare and stuff.
Reply 8
As long as your book appears to have 3 months thats fine, try asking the person at your workplace if he can write that in.
Reply 9
UndercoverChemist
Hi, i was just thinking about my duke of edinburgh bronze award and i think ive done all the sections i need to do. So just want to check that all the activities ive done are valid.

For my skill ive done my driving lessons,
For my physical activity ive done golf lessons for 6 months,
For my volunteering ive done worked at a chemical company for 4 weeks un-paid (accumilates to over 3 months work easily)

Could you let me know if all this is ok please.

duke of edinburgh is a complete waste of time

work hard at school and hang around with mates and enjoy your teenage years. when your older, it won't matter whether or not you did some crappy award scheme or not, but you'll want to look back on the fun times you had with friends

don't report me, i'm just speaking from personal experience, after seeing people in my school allow D of E to take over their lives, then screw up their exams
chipchop92
duke of edinburgh is a complete waste of time

work hard at school and hang around with mates and enjoy your teenage years. when your older, it won't matter whether or not you did some crappy award scheme or not, but you'll want to look back on the fun times you had with friends

don't report me, i'm just speaking from personal experience, after seeing people in my school allow D of E to take over their lives, then screw up their exams

I hardly believe anyone, especially me, let DoE take over their lives. Ive done bronze and silver expeditions and all four were with my mates. Was a great laugh all the way through. The other parts seem a little boring if you let them get boring. If its something that Unis look for or employeers in the future look for then it will be worth it. Not to mention the help you give with the volunteer work.
Reply 11
hey i did duke of edinburgh bronze award last year and doing my silver this year just some ideas for people thinking of doing silver award this year..

for skill, if you are 17, you could use driving lessons, and if not 17 or have already passed your test, try learning to play an instrument, website design, photgraphy, anything to do with animals/animal care

for physical recreation, it is so easy just to use P.E in school to complete this part of the award, if that doesnt interest you though you could go to the gym, go swimming, play basketball, badminton, horse riding, just whatever your interested in as its the easiest part to get!

and for volunteer section, try helping teachers within your school, help out at primary schools if theres one close by to your school, even churches, youth groups, retirement homes, but definately if you are still at school, your teachers would most likely love some help, and even in the learning support base at your school, all help is usually welcomed!

remember for your camping it is 3 days and the main thing is comfort in clothing, you are better off wearing a tracksuit, a vest top or short sleeved t-shirt and a big comfy hoody. as for extra clothing, you really shouldnt need anything more than waterproofs and maybe a fleece and changes of socks. and food, you are better off taking fresh pasta such as tortaglini or raviolli which takes about 3 minutes to cook! supernoodles are not a good idea! have fun and quote me xx
Reply 12
im doing my duke of ED bronze this year but cant find a volunteer place any idea ive already tried scouts girl guiding ,dogs trust, an old folks home , GB and BB any ideas?
Original post by Eveny
im doing my duke of ED bronze this year but cant find a volunteer place any idea ive already tried scouts girl guiding ,dogs trust, an old folks home , GB and BB any ideas?

Try in a charity shop, i've done that for my bronze and silver, im now moving on for my gold and going to volunteer for girl guides :smile:
it doesn't screw up your life, if you don't want it to look good on your CV then thats fine with everyone but, when you are saying its a complete waste of time when actually it isn't, its a great experience that you can do with your friends and even people you don't talk to. So when your granchildren or even children ask what you did in your teenage years and you say i went here, here and here but didn't do your duke of edingburgh then thats fine with me but don't come on here and put people down by saying its 'complete waste of time' because it isn't considering you haven't done it to witness what it si actually like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending