The Student Room Group

City or Kings?

I'm doing a Maths with Finance course.
Kings is my firm and they haven't decided whether or not I'm in yet. City is my insurance and I now have unconditional from them. But, yesterday morning when I checked track, I assumed this meant I had been rejected by Kings and got myself in the mood for City (which I am happy with either way) But now I'm questioning, even if Kings offer me a place, which would be better for me?
And ideas? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What was your reason for choosing it over City in the first place?
Kings. Very Very respected university. Often top 20 in league tables, very good international reputation aswell, some consider it top 10. one of the top 4 london unis, russel group uni, esteemed and traditional reputation which is valued higher by employers, and the name just sounds better..........

Good Luck, City is still very good and is known for its finance courses, but overall, i think in the long term kings would give you better career prospects and a larger chance to diversify in difference areas and jobs.
Reply 3
Grotbag
What was your reason for choosing it over City in the first place?

Because it's that bit more prestigious I suppose. It just seemed like a nicer uni. Now I just don't know..
King's is consistently a top 20 university, and for finance-based courses has superb links. In London it's on a par with UCL and together with it is second only to the LSE. Graduates with a KCL degree are extremely employable. City on the other hand rarely strays close to the top 30 of any league table.

If King's are still open to you, then you should consider ringing them up.
Reply 5
Out of interest what grades including GCSE's did you acheive as i am looking at a similar course.
paulapie
I'm doing a Maths with Finance course.
Kings is my firm and they haven't decided whether or not I'm in yet. City is my insurance and I now have unconditional from them. But, yesterday morning when I checked track, I assumed this meant I had been rejected by Kings and got myself in the mood for City (which I am happy with either way) But now I'm questioning, even if Kings offer me a place, which would be better for me?
And ideas? :frown:

Choose King's, you'd be rather silly to choose City over King's in my opinion.
Reply 7
Aphotic Cosmos
King's is consistently a top 20 university, and for finance-based courses has superb links. It is literally a short walk along the Thames from The City. In London it's on a par with UCL and together with it is second only to the LSE. City on the other hand rarely strays close to the top 30 of any league table.

I rang them yesterday, and they said it could be this evening before they knew. Could I phone them now, or would that be just plain pestering as they did say it could be the evening?
Reply 8
paulapie
Because it's that bit more prestigious I suppose. It just seemed like a nicer uni. Now I just don't know..

Presumably you've already sorted out your accommodation at Kings so that's one thing you wouldn't have to worry about. Honestly, as conflicted as you feel, you are in a good position if you would happily accept either option. You may be warming more to City right now because there is more certainty around the offer, whereas with Kings you might not want to get your hopes up in case you are disappointed.

Either way, you are going to a good uni, but hope they make a decision soon so you know where you are.
Aphotic Cosmos
King's is consistently a top 20 university, and for finance-based courses has superb links. In London it's on a par with UCL and together with it is second only to the LSE. Graduates with a KCL degree are extremely employable. City on the other hand rarely strays close to the top 30 of any league table.

King's is very good, but not on par with UCL and many would agree,
Reply 10
robbie8888
Out of interest what grades including GCSE's did you acheive as i am looking at a similar course.

My GCSEs weren't great: A*AABBBCCC
Then AS: AAAA
And I just got AAB at A-level (Maths, Business Studies, Physics)
paulapie
I rang them yesterday, and they said it could be this evening before they knew. Could I phone them now, or would that be just plain pestering as they did say it could be the evening?

More than one call is going to be pestering unless you can think of a plausible excuse :smile:

It sounds like you're fairly high on the waiting list or they would've rejected you already, so if they say wait until the evening then do so. City will still keep their place open for you :smile:
priceless_beauty
King's is very good, but not on par with UCL and many would agree,

Depends on the subject area, but I admit that KCL is usually in the 10-20s whereas UCL is usually in the top 5.
Reply 13
What course is it at City? Is it at CASS? Also, at King's, is the course Mathematics with Management and Finance?
Reply 14
Maulik2
What course is it at City? Is it at CASS? Also, at King's, is the course Mathematics with Management and Finance?

Yep, that's the course at Kings. It's just Maths with Finance at City.
Reply 15
paulapie
Yep, that's the course at Kings. It's just Maths with Finance at City.

Both are really good courses and although the one at City isn't at CASS, its still very good as City are renowned for their business courses. Most people above have commented on Kings top 20 ranking which is also worth noting.

Personally, I would choose it based on course content as both courses do have some differences. One is obviously the management element of the King's course which doesn't exist in the one at City. Do the course that you feel will suit your interests and career prospects (if you've thought that far). Truth be told, going to either won't make a huge difference as long as you get the marks - and getting marks is obviously much easier when you're studying something you enjoy. Heres the course content at both:

http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/engineering-maths/mathematics-and-finance-mmath-bsc.html - then click content

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp10/programme/54

Also, have you visited both universities? Which did you like more?
Reply 16
Maulik2
Also, have you visited both universities? Which did you like more?

Thanks for that info!
And no, I wasn't able to see either :frown: so all my opinions are being based on what I've found on the internet and others opinions.
I'll just wait and see if Kings even offer me a place before I get myself too worked up about it I guess.
Reply 17
Go for King's, I got an offer from City but thought it looked awful when I went to the open day.
Reply 18
timmo541
Go for King's, I got an offer from City but thought it looked awful when I went to the open day.

Oh dear :frown:
paulapie
Oh dear :frown:

King's is really nice, and it's in a perfect location in London. On the Strand in Aldwych, 5 minutes from Charing Cross terminus [lets you get to all the nice beaches down here in Kent and Sussex :smile:], right on the Thames, next door to the LSE for a huge combined student population and about 10-15 minutes from most of the major landmarks. Also well connected, what with it being central London and all.

It's easily the best located of all the major London unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending