The Student Room Group

A Level Resits After Leaving Sixth Form

Basically I missed my offer for uni which I am actually not too beat up about and rather than just go into clearing I'd rather take a year out, do some work and re-sit just a few exams that let me down.

My problem is I can't get in touch with my sixth form until September so will it be too late to try to book exam re-sits? Also it may be the case that I have re-submit some coursework again is that possible as an external candidate?

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of what I should do?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm basically doing the same as you. I don't know about coursework but resit forms at my school have to handed in on October 2nd but I'm not sure if this is a school deadline or a exam board deadline.
Reply 2
Hi, you wont be able to re submit coursework, as we are the last yr doing the sylabus across england. That is what my exam officer said as alll the courses have changed only exams can be retaken.
Devel
Basically I missed my offer for uni which I am actually not too beat up about and rather than just go into clearing I'd rather take a year out, do some work and re-sit just a few exams that let me down.

My problem is I can't get in touch with my sixth form until September so will it be too late to try to book exam re-sits? Also it may be the case that I have re-submit some coursework again is that possible as an external candidate?

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of what I should do?

Thanks.

When I did a couple of resits the deadline was the last day of the 1st week back, something like 10/12th September, so it should be possible for you to book resits then. Is it possible for you to ring your school and talk to the exams office. I think most exams officers do stick around at school and there's GCSE results day next week too. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
yeah i'm the same as you guys, thanks for starting this thread

I contacted my teacher, and he wasn't sure if were allowed to do the old specification, but i heard that you can.

I think a gap year when your working is better than going into clearing, and getting into a **** uni with a course you dont wanna do.

Just work and graft for a year, the re-apply
Reply 5
I did this last year, so heres some advice from my experience :smile:

1. Speak to your exam office. They will be busy this time with other things ie GCSE results and etc. So arrange a meeting instead in person. They won't sya no and this way they won't lose valuable information through communication.

2. Go through your results and certificates and decide which modules to retake. Make sure you find out how many marks off a grade you were and what ones let you down. Make a note of the module number so you don't faff around at a later date.

3. Don't resit everything. I achieved a grade C in my maths A2 when I wanted an A. So I slogged through my results and only four modules really needed to be done again to achieve it. Also resits are pricey!

4. Enter yourself through UCAS as a private student/ external student. The school/colleges will more than likely let you do it this way...they won't let you repeat the year unless your results were so bad it's worth it.

5. Obtain a personal statement early! Don't leave it until the last minute! They will more than likely push yours a side while they do the others that are deemed more important. Preferably from the same person who wrote your last personal statement.

6. When entering for your exams, put yourself in for the dates which will suit you more. For example, I did C3 and M1 in Januray and C4 and M2 in June...this way you don't have to cram everything in for one months sitting.

I hope this helps a bit...I took a year out in september 08 and by January 09 I had an unconditional offer for two courses I really wanted to do! And I hadn't even taken the exams yet! And when it comes to UCAS...in the box where it asks for grades, instead of "pending" put the grade you want to achieve ie: my maths was a C so I put "Mathematics...A"

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Bamzel91
yeah i'm the same as you guys, thanks for starting this thread

I contacted my teacher, and he wasn't sure if were allowed to do the old specification, but i heard that you can.

I think a gap year when your working is better than going into clearing, and getting into a **** uni with a course you dont wanna do.

Just work and graft for a year, the re-apply

I worked through my year out as well as my four exams and managd to sace £3000 for Uni this september...:smile:

A year out really worked out well for me. As it will for you :smile:
Reply 7
Char56
I worked through my year out as well as my four exams and managd to sace £3000 for Uni this september...:smile:

A year out really worked out well for me. As it will for you :smile:

your a top lass you are! why cant more people on here be like you :smile:

Is there any chance that we can copy and paste our previous personal statement from the 2008/2009 UCAS account?

ta
Reply 8
Bamzel91
your a top lass you are! why cant more people on here be like you :smile:

Is there any chance that we can copy and paste our previous personal statement from the 2008/2009 UCAS account?

If I remember right, you have to write another personal statement but it is a good thing as you get a chance to explain why you are re-applying.

Thanks for all the advice in here guys, I managed to get in touch with my school and I think I will be able to sort it out. Will rep when I can.
Reply 9
Devel
If I remember right, you have to write another personal statement but it is a good thing as you get a chance to explain why you are re-applying.

Thanks for all the advice in here guys, I managed to get in touch with my school and I think I will be able to sort it out. Will rep when I can.

Ive just logged into my UCAS now, if you go on the tab where its says "personal Info", just copy and paste your old Personal statement

i honestly think that resitting will be better for us that just missed out

wish you all the best
Reply 10
Bamzel91
Ive just logged into my UCAS now, if you go on the tab where its says "personal Info", just copy and paste your old Personal statement

wish you all the best

Yeah you can copy it but I don't think it is allowed to do another application with the exact same statement as the previous.
Reply 11
Bamzel91

wish you all the best

you can't do that! I tried last year but theres an application on UCAS where it says it cannot be the same as anyother personal statement basically. So all I did was copy my last personal statement and tweaked it a bit...putting in abit more about the course I want to apply for. I then checked with UCAS and they said thats fine.
Reply 12
hey,

soooooooooo glad I'm not the only one resiting!!!!:smile:

btw i was reading an earlier comment about re submiting c/w, i'm with AQA and last year i did the exam but i think it might be better if i enter a peice of c/w does anyone know if this is allowed?
Char56

1. Speak to your exam office. They will be busy this time with other things ie GCSE results and etc. So arrange a meeting instead in person. They won't sya no and this way they won't lose valuable information through communication.

2. Go through your results and certificates and decide which modules to retake. Make sure you find out how many marks off a grade you were and what ones let you down. Make a note of the module number so you don't faff around at a later date.

3. Don't resit everything. I achieved a grade C in my maths A2 when I wanted an A. So I slogged through my results and only four modules really needed to be done again to achieve it. Also resits are pricey!

4. Enter yourself through UCAS as a private student/ external student. The school/colleges will more than likely let you do it this way...they won't let you repeat the year unless your results were so bad it's worth it.

5. Obtain a personal statement early! Don't leave it until the last minute! They will more than likely push yours a side while they do the others that are deemed more important. Preferably from the same person who wrote your last personal statement.

6. When entering for your exams, put yourself in for the dates which will suit you more. For example, I did C3 and M1 in Januray and C4 and M2 in June...this way you don't have to cram everything in for one months sitting.

I hope this helps a bit...I took a year out in september 08 and by January 09 I had an unconditional offer for two courses I really wanted to do! And I hadn't even taken the exams yet! And when it comes to UCAS...in the box where it asks for grades, instead of "pending" put the grade you want to achieve ie: my maths was a C so I put "Mathematics...A"

Thank you very much so for this information. I am in the same boat really. This will help greatly

However, with this year, the only thing I would say is about this point:

Char56

Because of the new spec that is now fully in place, 'current' (now old) specification students only have jan '10 to resit any modules, and only A2 modules can be resat. June '09 was the last chance to resit AS modules.

But thanks again and good luck at university!
Reply 14
I applied of student finance about 2 months ago....do i have to tell them that i am taking a gap year?

And i am applying for a course which requires ABB, when i get my resit results back in around march, and suppose i get ABB, would the conditional offer change to an unconditional?

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it
I got BCC and I need BBB but I hadn't applied so I don't mind that I've got to retake and I hardly have to do any retakes. However, I'm confused as to what I put on UCAS. Any help would be great :smile: x
Char56

Thanks for the info. May I ask was it easy getting references/ personal statement checked for your UCAS application? And also I was under the impression, when entering grades, that you enter the grades you achieved and then re-enter the module(s) you are re-sitting with 'pending'? :confused:
Reply 17
Yeah if your schools arnt open till your back it shouldnt be a problem, deadline for requesting remarks is about the 15th of sept, deadline for requesting scripts to see if you want to remark is 25th of august (tuesday), but to request a RESIT then you have months and months, i think the non late deadline is mid to late nov
juicylucy :)
I got BCC and I need BBB but I hadn't applied so I don't mind that I've got to retake and I hardly have to do any retakes. However, I'm confused as to what I put on UCAS. Any help would be great :smile: x

What are you confused on?

All you need to do really is enter all the grades you are cashing in (module by module) then any exams that you are retaking, you leave as 'pending' and when you get them, you can let the uni know and they'll prob accept you there and then as long as you meet the conditiond of the offer.

Also as you haven't done it before, I'm assuming you will be applying as an individual applicant. In this case, you will need to find someone who is willing to referee your application (and write you a reference). This could be and old school teacher that knows you well, previous head of year/head of 6th form/ personal tutor/subject teacher who has taught you and has experience in dealing with UCAS applications etc. Also I'd advise looking into unis and courses that you want to apply too, and writing a personal statement for that course on why yu want to study it, what you have personally achieved in school years, extra curricular stuff that you used to/still do. (If you need help on this I'd recommend the sites personal statement help forum which can be found here where you can view examples of personal statements and even submit your one for checking by one of the sites PS helpers, which I must say are very good at it)

I hope this has given you a little bit of help into the process. I'd say your first port of call is to find a referee, start writing your personal statement and sorting out your retakes as soon as possible.

Any problems don't be afraid to PM me or anyone else who is in the same process or has been through the same process last year etc. One user I know offered help on applying as an individual last year, so she will be able to offer help too, and will probably know more then I do as she went through the process this year. There are also bound to be loads of others available to help. There are also loads of mods round that will be able to help like Good bloke, Minvera (sp?) and F1 Fanatic, found in the UCAS forum.
Reply 19
I'm in this boat too, got ABB when I needed AAB :|

Quick question - can we still retake AS modules from a year ago? Or is it only A2 modules that we're allowed to retake?

Latest