The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Charlottie
I may be looking at Clearing, and I don't know a lot about it. Are there many decent unis in there for English? :frown: I'm likely to have grades ABB if I miss my offer, which is looking likely.

You never know, I was surprised that Kent (who asked me for 320 points) and newcastle (who ask for an A in English) were on the ucas extra list so places like there may be still around for Clearing. Also Royal Holloway might be on there and although they only ask for BCC or something like that, their position in the Times English league table is above places like liverpool and manchester.
Good luck with it all though, hope it works out for you! :p:
Reply 2
Charlottie! Are you ok?

Was York your insurance?

Don't start worrying about Clearing just yet - i know it's hard but concentrate on revising and boosting your grades. I'm sure you can do it.

It's unusual for the kind of unis you applied to have spaces left in clearing due to English being so popular. You won't know until results day who actually has places though. If you do miss your offer is a year out completely unacceptable? I know that would mean paying top up fees, but you only pay those once you're in work, not before.

*hugs* People saw something in you to make you the offer they did. They wouldn't have made you the offer if they didn't think you could do it. Be positive. xx
Reply 3
mousey that was so nice. wishing i'd been on this site when my breakdown started wth this calibre(sp?) of member.

anyhow just thought you should know you're incredibly nice :smile:
Reply 4
Thankyou - that's lovely. What breakdown did you have? (if you don't mind me asking)

Imaginative writing sounds like such an interesting course. Do you want to be a novelist? Poet? xx
Reply 5
Yeah, it is lovely. :smile:
Yeah York's my insurance. My worry isn't that I can't do well on the papers I have left, it's just that I messed up the paper I've already done and so will find it incredibly hard to get an A in maths. That was gonna be my other A, after English, as my History isn't even an A at AS. I just wanna know what my options are. I don't think it's actually possible for to my revise anymore than I am doing, there comes a point where you can't take anything else in.
Hey, I know a lot of ppl who got C's in History last year for AS and are predicted As for A2 and overall. If i was you, if you want to know what to do, visit the exam board's website and look at the marking criteria; it gives a lot of clues how to get your A.

Sorry to hear about your problem with the exam, just keep your head up and keep fighting.
Reply 7
Charlottie
Yeah, it is lovely. :smile:
Yeah York's my insurance. My worry isn't that I can't do well on the papers I have left, it's just that I messed up the paper I've already done and so will find it incredibly hard to get an A in maths. That was gonna be my other A, after English, as my History isn't even an A at AS. I just wanna know what my options are. I don't think it's actually possible for to my revise anymore than I am doing, there comes a point where you can't take anything else in.

Hello love, I don't know much about clearing but I just wanted to wish you all the best for meeting your offer. I'm finding it tough too - I have to get 3 As, is yours AAB? I totally know what you mean about revision. I think it plateaus after you've done a certain amount! Atleast if you do miss your offer (but you won't!) you'll know you did everything possible to meet it. It would be awful to miss it because you didn't work hard enough. I think I may overdose on revision.

PM if you fancy a moan about revision or whatever!
xxx
kalibantre
mousey that was so nice. wishing i'd been on this site when my breakdown started wth this calibre(sp?) of member.

anyhow just thought you should know you're incredibly nice :smile:

Oooh, one of my best friends has imaginative writing at LJM as her firm choice!

You're right- mousey IS lovely :wink:
Reply 9
Rose64
Hello love, I don't know much about clearing but I just wanted to wish you all the best for meeting your offer. I'm finding it tough too - I have to get 3 As, is yours AAB? I totally know what you mean about revision. I think it plateaus after you've done a certain amount! Atleast if you do miss your offer (but you won't!) you'll know you did everything possible to meet it. It would be awful to miss it because you didn't work hard enough. I think I may overdose on revision.

PM if you fancy a moan about revision or whatever!
xxx

Thanks a lot and best of luck to you (all of you, not just Rose :smile:) as well. My first choice is AAA like you, my insurance AAB. I already have one A, it's just the other two and I'm terrified it's gonna end up as ABB. To make matters worse, I've lost the maths revision guide I was using this morning and I have a horrible feeling that it's gone to London with my cousin who went home earlier...
Reply 10
awww *feels loved*
Reply 11
Charlottie
Thanks a lot and best of luck to you (all of you, not just Rose :smile:) as well. My first choice is AAA like you, my insurance AAB. I already have one A, it's just the other two and I'm terrified it's gonna end up as ABB. To make matters worse, I've lost the maths revision guide I was using this morning and I have a horrible feeling that it's gone to London with my cousin who went home earlier...

It'll be ok i'm sure, just keep revising as best as u can but if you feel u need a break then take it. If you overdose yourself you'll just end up mega stressed out thinking you dont know enough when u probably do!! If you dont make your offer, and i reckon you will, you might not have to go through all that! They'll see your clever enough and one of them is bound to want you, if they chose you above everyone else its obviously cos you've got something they like, so grades might not matter 100%!!!

Best of luck hun, dont let it stress you out too much!
kels xxx
Just try your best. If you miss your offer, you miss it, but if you tried your best, no one can ask anything else of you. To be honest, you're unlikely to find anything decent in clearing, although it's worth a look. If the worst comes to the worst, take a gap year and re-apply. You can do fantastic things in gap years and it could all work out for the best. Oxbridge are often more lenient with people who miss their offers anyway, because they really want them. I got AAAB at A-level and didn't get an offer from Oxford, but a guy from my college who applied for the same course at the same college was made an offer of AAA and they let him in with AAB.
Reply 13
I have e-mailed/phoned many uni's (such as Royal Holloway, Notts, Bristol) said that they would be offering no places through clearing for English! (as i was thinking of not having my insurance as kent). They said that they had oversubscribed their courses so it was very unlikely that they would have any places through clearing...which is gay.

Does anyone know how leanient unis are towards peoples grades if they miss their offers for something as oversubscribed as a uni (or course) for York, for example?
Yep Yvonne, you are great, just don't get big headed lol (I know you wont!! :P)

I know that Manchester said they still accept people who just miss their grades, but I don't know about York or anywhere else. But I'm sure if you get your grades and they aren't what you need, someone at your school/college will be able to help you out, I know our careers staff are in all summer and they're great at phoning people up and persuading them lol.
At the end of the day though, ABB is still something that a lot of people would love to have, and you can still get into English at least next year if not this. Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Don't worry Charlotte I feel the same. I've done soo much revision but screwed up my history paper on monday so now have to do amazingly on friday otherwise I'll miss my offer of AAA and thing is no offense to southampton but I've gone off it cos i like my first choice so much and so dunno what I'll do if miss my grades.
Don't deal with it now.I had media straight after history on monday and you gotta think you can't let a bad feeling or negative feeling let you muck up on others.
Just go in thinking you can do it. x
Reply 16
Charlotte, don't worry yet, you don't want to stress yourself out. its probably not as bad as you think, and the more you think about it, the worst you think you've done - i know coz i did that last yr, and there wasn't even anything to worry about in the end. it all worked out, but i practically made myself ill worrying.

But if you do look to clearing, try Kings College - they're ABB and their course is great and the location of the uni is amazing - right in theatre land. its my insurance, and i'd totally be happy to go there, if it comes to that. Also look at Royal holloway. And places like Newcaslte, with a lot of places on the course, they might not have filled all the places.

Or you could try looking for a joint honours course, and then see if you can change to straight english when you get there. Either way, you'd have a lot of options.
Reply 17
Thanks everyone. I'm starting to calm down a little bit now, although I can't help myself analysing the papers that I can analyse to stupid degrees - like maths, ugh. Where have I lost marks, will I get an A, etc, etc. I think I need a mind block putting on. Really can't wait until Tuesday - THE FINAL EXAM! I hate having to work towards a target, I just freak out, I should really have applied post a-level, it might have kept me more sane - hehe. One more than really matters left anyway, history - so I'd better go and revise for that. Thanks again. xx
I know exactly how you feel - especially coming on these boards. I think 'yea i rocked that paper' then i see that other people done something different. However, at the end of the day in arts subjects its more a matter of ur opinion, i think my answers were good and i jus need to block out this introspection and over analysis which is so not helpful.

Steve
Hey Charlotte, don't worry about it, you often do best on the papers that you think you've totally mucked up (my whole class thought we'd completely failed our last geography module but it turned out we'd all done well). The others are right, if you don't quite get your grades then they may well let you in; ring them up and plead/beg etc. for them to take you; to get into Oxbridge they obviously liked you lots at interview, so they'll let you in regardless. They think their system's better than A Levels etc. anyway! And chocolate is always a good revision tool :smile: Good luck! xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending