The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Lincoln and Student Finance - FML

I got my SF letter through today and it turns out I'm only getting £3560 for my maintenance loan.. which doesn't cover accomadation (anywhere as far as I know, and definately not the Junxion where my name's been sent) let alone living costs.

Apparently I'm not entitled to any grants at all from SF as we're over the earning threshold.. which may or may not be true, as I'm not sure what my Dad put down (in addition to his job, we also own a business, but in reality much of the profit from that goes back into the business)

Does Lincoln give a bursary or something?

Failing that, will my name be passed on to Pavs or somewhere else, or will I be left with nowhere to live?

FML.
Reply 1
This is something I'd wondered. I'm supposed to be getting a grant, but I've gotten tangled up in the big student finance farce so at the moment I'm only gauranteed a loan.

I know Lincoln only gives bursarys to people who are eligible for the maintenance grant, so you'll probably miss out on these.

I think the best option is going to be to try your best to get a part time job when you're down there and get a student account with an overdraft for any initial outlay, that's my plan at the moment.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
So just to check, you applied for income assessed? And the letter you received is your final assessment i.e. it's the letter with the payment schedule?

Your parents must've been earning a fair wack if you're only entitled to pretty much a basic loan. It'll be best to confirm with your dad the amount that was written down and then use to finance calculator to see if it roughly checks out. Unfortunately there are some us who are only entitled to the basic amounts of loan, there are many students like you where the loan does not cover the cost of accommodation or living costs. In these cases you'll simply have to use savings, an interest free overdraft, or get a job.

Edit: There is currently a backlog in the income assessed part of the application, it may simply be a case that they have simply not gotten round to processing that part yet. This is the case for many students at the moment.
Reply 3
fire2burn
So just to check, you applied for income assessed? And the letter you received is your final assessment i.e. it's the letter with the payment schedule?

Your parents must've been earning a fair wack if you're only entitled to pretty much a basic loan. It'll be best to confirm with your dad the amount that was written down and then use to finance calculator to see if it roughly checks out. Unfortunately there are some us who are only entitled to the basic amounts of loan, there are many students like you where the loan does not cover the cost of accommodation or living costs. In these cases you'll simply have to use savings, an interest free overdraft, or get a job.

Edit: There is currently a backlog in the income assessed part of the application, it may simply be a case that they have simply not gotten round to processing that part yet. This is the case for many students at the moment.

No, no payment schedule. Basically it says this -

Maintinance Loan

Basic loan (non-income assessed) - £3564
Plus loan subject to income assessment - £1386
Less assessed contribution to living costs - £1386
Maximum loan available - £3564
Loan requested - £3564
Loan to be paid - £3564

and it says nothing at all about grants, which my friend says it shoud do as his says he gets about £4600 overall and his parents don't earn much less than mine I don't think.
Reply 4
I'm eligible for quite a bit of the maintenance grant, yet only got £20 from the busary at Lincoln last year. So don't hold out much hope!
Reply 5
Aqualung
I'm eligible for quite a bit of the maintenance grant, yet only got £20 from the busary at Lincoln last year. So don't hold out much hope!

Thanks, really helpful.
Reply 6
I understand that you need to send off the Lincoln enrollment forms before September 1st, and you must arrange payments before this date ? ( www.lincoln.ac.uk/pay )

I'm only getting the full maintenance grant, and I know I will have to make up about £300 to pay for the rest of the tuition fees. If Lincoln want the payment info before enrollment or sept. 1st, then how can I do it ?

I will be paying in installments, but say the first installment is due to come out on Sept 28 ( or is there at least a month after enrollment before payments are made ), and student finance hasn't payed me, I won't be able to pay for the course fees ?

anyone else in a similar situation?

Thanks
Reply 7
getinthevan
No, no payment schedule. Basically it says this -

Maintinance Loan

Basic loan (non-income assessed) - £3564
Plus loan subject to income assessment - £1386
Less assessed contribution to living costs - £1386
Maximum loan available - £3564
Loan requested - £3564
Loan to be paid - £3564

and it says nothing at all about grants, which my friend says it shoud do as his says he gets about £4600 overall and his parents don't earn much less than mine I don't think.

As I said the best option may be to ask your dad for the exact amount he put down and then use the finance calculator to see if they match up: http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680089&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Alternatively try ringing them up and asking if there's any chances they made a mistake.
Reply 8
hey
i had a similar problems last year
my parents earned £1k too much the year before so between my loan for my accommodation and my tuition fees i was short by almost £1k even though my dad was unemployed for half of last year they said it didnt matter as it calclated on the previous tax year:mad:

though this year i managed to get everything plus extra :-)

but if its the same as my case then you just have to pay the difference which sucks :frown: :frown:
Reply 9
I don't know if this applies to you, but you never know.

I applied for it to be financially assessed, and they sent me a letter which said that i'd be getting the loan you're saying they said you'll get, and that said i had not been financially assessed. I rang them after freaking out over not being able to afford to go, and they send they send out a preliminary letter to let you know you're getting SOME finance. I then got a letter about a week later which said in the corner that it HAD been assessed, and it was giving me more than it had originally said as a loan and also a grant. So that came after an initial letter.

Like I said, i don't know if this applies to you, but that could be what has happened. I would say ring student finance and just clarify everything that's confusing you, or making you worried. They might be busy, but if you ring them enough times, eventually you'll get through to them.

The most aggravating thing, though, is that no matter how much money your parents make, they don't seem to take much into account other than the numbers. Like they seem to ignore the tax, they ignore the fact that the money your parents make goes on living costs, food, upbringing, mortgages...and it seems to be as if they're thinking "Oh, they make a fair whack, they must be able to help paying for everything". Which is obviously ridiculous!!

I really hope everything sorts out for you!!
Same with me the loan for maintenance was 600 quid less than the accommodation. Just because my parents earn more than 80k between them doesn't mean i should be at a disadvantage :angry:

Latest