The Student Room Group

What exactly is a high A?

Having heard that Cambridge favour students with high UMS scores, I was wondering what a 'good' score would be for maths/science subjects.

All my AS subjects are above 90%, would this be considered high enough? Also, will Cambridge acknowledge that a low UMS score in a maths A2 module (64/100 in C4) was due to extenuating circumstances (with proof)?

Thanks very much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The advice I was given that you should aim for 90+% UMS at AS :smile: Your module scores are one thing of many Cambridge will look at (interview, tests at interview, GCSE's etc) so it in no way means you are in, but it is a point in your favour.

Your marks look to be a good start :smile: And I have no idea what Cambridge's stance on a low UMS score is :s-smilie: Hope this is useful!
Reply 2
You don't even need 90%, any A is looked upon favourably. They will not mind your odd maths grade at all; you're in a very good position.

What subject are you hoping to do?
Reply 3
Reply 4
NoPurposeTortoise
The advice I was given that you should aim for 90+% UMS at AS :smile: Your module scores are one thing of many Cambridge will look at (interview, tests at interview, GCSE's etc) so it in no way means you are in, but it is a point in your favour.

Your marks look to be a good start :smile: And I have no idea what Cambridge's stance on a low UMS score is :s-smilie: Hope this is useful!

Thanks very much :smile: Very useful.

I have to say the BMAT (applying to A100 Medicine) does seem a relieving prospect to iron out any kinks.

Xei
You don't even need 90%, any A is looked upon favourably. They will not mind your odd maths grade at all; you're in a very good position.

What subject are you hoping to do?

Fingers crossed for Medicine :smile: Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Reply 5
Okay nice. Remember for interview to focus on your A level syllabuses, especially core subjects. They tend to see how well they cope with the things you already know; they shouldn't test for extra knowledge.

I think you need quite a bit of hands on experience, too, to put on your UCAS form, but I'm sure you know all about that.
Reply 6
90%+ will do
Reply 7
Xei
Okay nice. Remember for interview to focus on your A level syllabuses, especially core subjects. They tend to see how well they cope with the things you already know; they shouldn't test for extra knowledge.

I think you need quite a bit of hands on experience, too, to put on your UCAS form, but I'm sure you know all about that.

I'm fairly sure I have enough work experience etc., and I should be able to get my head around the revision this time :p:
Reply 8
Okay cool, you're in a strong position, although don't be disappointed if you don't get in because it's extremely competitive. Just remember to keep cool at interview and be prepared to hugely underestimate how well you've done (I thought mine was a catastrophe). Gluck. :smile:
880Hz

Sorry, I couldn't resist. More seriously, 90% is fine and one low module isn't going to be a problem. For the extenuating circumstances, you might need your school to fill in a CSAS form. Someone else might be able to say if it is necessary or not, I'm not sure. Information here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/csas.pdf
Reply 10
Tempeststurm
880Hz

Sorry, I couldn't resist. More seriously, 90% is fine and one low module isn't going to be a problem. For the extenuating circumstances, you might need your school to fill in a CSAS form. Someone else might be able to say if it is necessary or not, I'm not sure. Information here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/csas.pdf

I briefly considered CSAS until I read more about it. I don't think a migraine in one exam really merits consideration :p: - it's more for applicants whose education has been chronically impacted by circumstances beyond their control etc. etc.

Thanks for the information anyway :smile:
Reply 11
The guideline set by my college when I applied was an average of 84% or more, a lower bound which you've absolutely slaughtered by the looks of it, so don't worry. You're not expected to get 100% in everything and permanently be in good health you know!
nuodai
The guideline set by my college when I applied was an average of 84% or more, a lower bound which you've absolutely slaughtered by the looks of it, so don't worry. You're not expected to get 100% in everything and permanently be in good health you know!

How did Robinson look when you applied? Its one of the places im looking at...?
Reply 13
I thought Robinson is the one made of lego...
Reply 14
T-o dore
How did Robinson look when you applied? Its one of the places im looking at...?

Do you like brick? :wink:

I liked it. Not because of its architecture, but because it just seemed nice. The accommodation is great and it's about an equal distance between the city centre and the West Cambridge site (so I have less walking to do).

Xei
I thought Robinson is the one made of lego...

:biggrin: That's another thing to add to my list of descriptions of Robinson. Currently leading:
- Habbo Hotel
- Car park
- HMYOI
90 is average, 95 is high.
Undulipodium
Having heard that Cambridge favour students with high UMS scores, I was wondering what a 'good' score would be for maths/science subjects.

All my AS subjects are above 90%, would this be considered high enough? Also, will Cambridge acknowledge that a low UMS score in a maths A2 module (64/100 in C4) was due to extenuating circumstances (with proof)?

Thanks very much :smile:

I got 19/100 in C4 and got a place. :wink:

Admittedly I could have got an A if I wanted to, but still. 90% is great, but to be honest you just want to do as best you possibly can, anything extra will obviously help.
Reply 17
Elementric
I got 19/100 in C4 and got a place. :wink:

Admittedly I could have got an A if I wanted to, but still. 90% is great, but to be honest you just want to do as best you possibly can, anything extra will obviously help.

Thanks for more reassurance :biggrin:

I'll stop panicking about this particular subject (for the moment) :smile:
Undulipodium
Thanks for more reassurance :biggrin:

I'll stop panicking about this particular subject (for the moment) :smile:

Np.

Good :smile: Just keep in mind that there is no set boundary, your application will be considered as a whole (clichéd but it's true!); having great AS marks will give you more leeway in other parts of your application e.g. if your interview doesn't go that well.
generally, a high A is:

90% UMS

or 95% UMS in the subject you want to do at degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending