The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

i dont study there but went there for an open day, and have been to an alumni event thing with my dad - and ive got to say it is the best uni ive seen facilities wise, and generally the best uni in my eyes ive seen.

I was just impressed with everything i saw - the reason i rejected them was cost and offer too high for my liking.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Minty? :dontknow:

:getmecoat:
Reply 22
Geek_Pride
Fair enough.

Biology requirements are AAB. If you manage to get predicted AAB there's no reason why you shouldn't apply.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/lifesciences/entryrequirements
Hasan
Biology requirements are AAB. If you manage to get predicted AAB there's no reason why you shouldn't apply.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/lifesciences/entryrequirements

I stand corrected. :smile: I thought all Imperial's courses were AAA and other ridiculous requirements.
jennikay
I stand corrected. :smile: I thought all Imperial's courses were AAA and other ridiculous requirements.

I thought you meant that because the majority of the candidates would be coming in with AAA, I didn't stand a chance.
I've got another question - is it small? Because the impression I get is that it's quite small. Like how big is it?
eulerwaswrong
i dont study there but went there for an open day, and have been to an alumni event thing with my dad - and ive got to say it is the best uni ive seen facilities wise, and generally the best uni in my eyes ive seen.

I was just impressed with everything i saw - the reason i rejected them was cost and offer too high for my liking.

Seriously? :eek:

Could you elaborate please?
Reply 27
im so academic
I've got another question - is it small? Because the impression I get is that it's quite small. Like how big is it?

yeah it is really small, the south kensington campus had maybe 10 buildings! i think!
Reply 28
it's small in comparison to, say, nottingham (33,000 odd undergrads) - where as imperial is like 8/9000ish.
it is, however THE most amazing place ever to even just visit (it's in the center of london ffs!!...with like £20m houses opposite) and i CANNOT WAIT to start uni in 5 or so weeks at IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON!!! whoo...slightly too excited there.... grr about the boy:girl ratio tho :frown: .... maybe i'll turn gay :wink:
Reply 29
pangea
grr about the boy:girl ratio tho

Although the boy:girl ratio is pretty pants overall, it depends on your course, biology and medicine for example have more girls than boys.
More importantly however, it also depends on your attitude, even as an engineer where the ratio is about 5:2, most of my friends at Imperial are girls and I've even managed to get myself a lovely Imperial girlfriend.
im so academic
Seriously? :eek:

Could you elaborate please?

everything seems to be brand new and everything seems to be top spec. Just there seems to have been a lot of money spent in the last 5 years and spent very well.

All the non academic facilities like the sports stuff/gym/swimming pool most of the accommodation is brand new and really smart. The main areas and entrances to buildings are very smart and brand new. The library is just amazing (and yet again brand new and really the best spec you could ever ask for)

In terms of academic facilities (for engineering anywho) are brilliant - they have the biggest, best, newest etc of lots of equipment.

When i went to other universities they just didnt seem to be in the same league as imperial facilities wise.

Its also in a superb position - there isnt anything i didnt like about imperial (well the cost of london, and their really high offer)
Reply 31
lol you will be disappointed if you keep hyping imperial up so much.

Imperial are very good at marketing.

However, the sport center is excellent with a free gym.

Boys to girl ratio depends on course. I do EEE where there are around 150 boys and 10 girls. When your lectures start at 9 and finish at 6, this is not a good life.
Reply 32
I missed the open days because I booked too late. When can I visit to have a quick tour around the departments? I've heard from my friends that it is amazing!
Reply 33
_lynx_
I missed the open days because I booked too late. When can I visit to have a quick tour around the departments? I've heard from my friends that it is amazing!

i didnt go to an open day, i just went down in the summer and looked around the campus, but i couldnt go inside some of the buildings.
Reply 34
jennikay
Lol, I firmed Imperial and sat my exams before I visited it. I loved it.

At least you liked after you firmed it...
Reply 35
Most of Imperial's students will be on the South Kensington campus. The other campuses are for medics (the hospitals) and those biology students who wanna grow ridiculously exotic maneating plants (Wye). In terms of land area, Imperial is tiny. You could walk from one end to the other in about 5 minutes, whereas Nottingham for example is ridiculously huge. I went there for Medlink and from Cavendish to the Queens Medical Centre took years.

Ethos is the gym on site, and its really nice. Memberships free to all students, you have to pay a £15 induction fee but thats for the entire time you're at IC.

Sports fields for hockey, football and rugby are out near Heathrow at Harlington Sports Centre. Apparently the hockey pitch is exactly where the third runway will start so Imperial will potentially get a new sports ground soon.

Halls are scattered around the campus, anything from 30 seconds walk away (Beit) to 40 minutes tube journey (Picadilly Court). IF you're seriously unlucky you'll end up in an intercollegiate hall with Thames Valley uni students (Paragon) where they will look down upon you with a look on their face saying 'I go to TVU, beat that, bitch!'. I was in Pembridge for my first year, in Notting Hill. Only cost £107 a week :biggrin: I'd have to pay something like £300 a week+ to stay in the same street if I wasn't in halls.
Reply 36
sunspoon
Most of Imperial's students will be on the South Kensington campus. The other campuses are for medics (the hospitals) and those biology students who wanna grow ridiculously exotic maneating plants (Wye). In terms of land area, Imperial is tiny. You could walk from one end to the other in about 5 minutes, whereas Nottingham for example is ridiculously huge. I went there for Medlink and from Cavendish to the Queens Medical Centre took years.

Ethos is the gym on site, and its really nice. Memberships free to all students, you have to pay a £15 induction fee but thats for the entire time you're at IC.

Sports fields for hockey, football and rugby are out near Heathrow at Harlington Sports Centre. Apparently the hockey pitch is exactly where the third runway will start so Imperial will potentially get a new sports ground soon.

Halls are scattered around the campus, anything from 30 seconds walk away (Beit) to 40 minutes tube journey (Picadilly Court). IF you're seriously unlucky you'll end up in an intercollegiate hall with Thames Valley uni students (Paragon) where they will look down upon you with a look on their face saying 'I go to TVU, beat that, bitch!'. I was in Pembridge for my first year, in Notting Hill. Only cost £107 a week :biggrin: I'd have to pay something like £300 a week+ to stay in the same street if I wasn't in halls.

I want to apply for medicine, so are the relevant areas located close to each other. I'm guessing the student accomodation is close, if not situated in the campus, right? How accessible would these areas be if I went to visit, say, next week?

I love the sound of the free gym membership :p: and the great sports facilities! Are there any tennis or badminton courts nearby?
Reply 37
_lynx_
I want to apply for medicine, so are the relevant areas located close to each other. I'm guessing the student accomodation is close, if not situated in the campus, right? How accessible would these areas be if I went to visit, say, next week?

I love the sound of the free gym membership :p: and the great sports facilities! Are there any tennis or badminton courts nearby?

Charing cross hospital is in Hammersmith, about 10 minutes tube from South Ken. The medics have lectures in the Sir Alexander Fleming building which is on the south side of the South ken campus, Beit is the closest halls to check out its in the Union builidng.
Geek_Pride
I thought you meant that because the majority of the candidates would be coming in with AAA, I didn't stand a chance.

Oh, they probably will. But I somehow managed to fluke my way onto Maths with terrible GCSEs and AAAB at AS level.

Make sure you have a really good personal statement (I did! I had mine checked over by someone at the local private school which regularly gets people into Oxbridge.) and I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
Seems Imperial is very nice.

Surely there must be some negatives - excluding male:female ratio and workload?

Latest

Trending

Trending