The Student Room Group

How much of of work experience should you REALLY put in your ps?

Hi there,

Am currently writing my ps, and have read guide on here and elsewhere, which both suggest you to ' talk it up in a frenzy' in your ps. (work experience that is) Is there much point in writing that much, if you are likely to be questioned on it in the interview anyway. Currently about 2000/4000 available characters is about my work exp.
Because you can't really explain what you learnt without saying what you did as well, as well as saying how long you were there for....

Any advice?
Thanks
Reply 1
As much as possible I guess..as long as you don't lie and KNOW what you are talking/writing about otherwise you'd be in trouble during the interview obviously. Just write things like for so many months I have worked at bla bla, throughout the weeks I have gained important skills like.. bla bla I was responsible for bla bla .. i gained more confidence (sure you can make it look nicer than it REALLY is) as long as you show that you are behind ur ps..

hope this helps a bit .. if not you should def. ask one of the PS helpers!

good luck!
Reply 2
Well they won't give an interview if you just say I did x, y and z, with no elaboration. By you elaborating and giving off an enthusiastic vibe about all the things you did, saw, assisted with, how your dedication fared during long hours and sacrifices, the more they'll see that you took alot away from it and truly enjoyed it. If you have too many placements to go into detail about, talk about 2 or 3 with all the plus points and sales pitch, then just briefly mention the others you did.

"I thoroughly enjoyed having the responsibility of milking a 200-strong herd, and assisting with vet visits seeing PDs, foot trimming and TB testing, giving me a deeper insight into x,y and z aspects of working with dairy animals" is better than "Did 7 days dairy". No?

Then they'll ask you to interview

Then you can talk even more about it

Then they go wow this guy is good

Then you get teh offer

The last step will never happen without the first to initiate the interest. Sell yourself. Don't rely on the "I'll cut out absolutely all details because they'll ask at interview" idea, because without some initial interest, the interview won't happen in the first place for them to ask you.
I did include all of mine in my ps but elaborated on what i wanted asking like how I had complete responsibility of calves which I really enjoyed, and to further my knowledge of farming industry I also did lambing, ect ect
Reply 4
Yeah i grouped a bit of mine together and picked out important points. Like, how x y and z helped me develop communication skills. Dont forget to talk about people!! Dont just say you were great with animals - remember every animal you will deal with comes with a human attached!

Latest

Trending

Trending