The Student Room Group

How much homework do you get with AS levels

I am doing my AS Levels through distance learning, and it is mainly self teach. Last year I wasn't very organised and hadn't learnt all of what I needed to come exam time. So, I am retaking them this year. I will do much better this year as I know more about the course structure, exam techniques etc, plus i'll have TSR :smile:

I am also taking up another AS, which is maths. So I will be doing: maths, psychology and human biology.

I understand you have an hours lesson each day on the subject, but how much homework time do you have to do (or supposed to do?)

Thanks
:smile:
Five hours of homework per subject, per week.

I'd say that above would be a good amount of time to be spending on homework, you're doing 3 subjects, so 15 hours of homework over a 7 day week should be very possible. :smile:

Obviously, the more you do the better, provided it's efficient, not spent on TSR or procrastination (my weakness) =P
Reply 2
ppffftt the question is a little vague

depends what grade you want and what subjects you do

i did math, history, economics, french and math

hist + french required lots of effort. 12 hours a week?

obv do more when exams come, some days before exams i revised 14 hours no kidding

i hope this helps, just try do what you can
Reply 3
Tommy Jay
ppffftt the question is a little vague

depends what grade you want and what subjects you do

i did math, history, economics, french and math

hist + french required lots of effort. 12 hours a week?

obv do more when exams come, some days before exams i revised 14 hours no kidding

i hope this helps, just try do what you can

I am doing maths, human biology and psychology. And I want to get the best grades I can.

I was wondering if you were told how much homework you were supposed to do. I remember my school did when I was doing GCSE's.
Reply 4
Well, we are told that you are meant to do as much time at home as you do in lessons, so for me its meant to be 4 or 5 hours of work per week. However this is very much doing what you feel you need to do, rather than any set work. I can't really speak for human biology or psychology, but for maths, how much work you need to do on a given week depends on how well you understand that topic. Sometimes you might not need to do any work, if the topic just clicks and you understand it straight away. Other times, you might have to spend hours trying to get your head around it. So I imagine its pretty similar for the other two subjects, theres no set amount thats going to get you what you want, you just need to do what you feel is best and will get you the grade you want to get.
Reply 5
About an hour a day for each subject, although my school gives loads lol. Depends really, how fast you take in stuff.

maths is quite hard needs alot of practice etc whilst psychology is quite easy. Read alot upon psychology and with biology I suggest writing snippets of facts and diagrams help loads.
Reply 6
Natalie*
I am doing maths, human biology and psychology. And I want to get the best grades I can.

I was wondering if you were told how much homework you were supposed to do. I remember my school did when I was doing GCSE's.

I think we were recommended to spend an hour on each piece of hw per night. But some history essays took me days with all the reading i needed. Also I go to a grammar school so they chuck us as much hw as possible (I got three high As and a B).

Does your school not give out a lot of hw, so are you supposed to do your own jingo 'in your own time'?
1/4 weekends I couldnt actually go out because of the homework I got. The subjects I do aren't even that hard! :p:

It's alright when you start out but when you get to June it gets very tense!:smile:
Natalie*
I am doing my AS Levels through distance learning, and it is mainly self teach. Last year I wasn't very organised and hadn't learnt all of what I needed to come exam time. So, I am retaking them this year. I will do much better this year as I know more about the course structure, exam techniques etc, plus i'll have TSR :smile:

I am also taking up another AS, which is maths. So I will be doing: maths, psychology and human biology.

I understand you have an hours lesson each day on the subject, but how much homework time do you have to do (or supposed to do?)

Thanks
:smile:

at begining they will give you home work

but as you go through the year

you'll get less and less and less work until your teachers just stop usually by Jan

Latest