The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Supermarkets

OK, I know this has probably done to death but where are the big ones. Not the metro, local, express crap that you'd go and get your comfort food from. I know there's plenty of things like this around Endcliffe but i would like to know where i can idly wonder around the store, picking things up i normally wouldnt get because i didnt see it yet then think "How can i not live without bourbons"! How far way would they be too?

Any help would be great and apologies if this has been overdone

Scroll to see replies

dlg3579
OK, I know this has probably done to death but where are the big ones. Not the metro, local, express crap that you'd go and get your comfort food from. I know there's plenty of things like this around Endcliffe but i would like to know where i can idly wonder around the store, picking things up i normally wouldnt get because i didnt see it yet then think "How can i not live without bourbons"! How far way would they be too?

Any help would be great and apologies if this has been overdone

There is a Tesco metro on Ecclesall road which although it says Metro, is actually pretty big, definitely decent enough size to do your weekly shop. This is about 15 mins walk from Endcliffe id estimate. Apart from that, there is a Tesco on Infirmary Road (which is about 15 mins walk from uni or a brief tram ride) and there is a big Asda and a Morrisons out on the Parkway (the main road into Sheffield coming off the motorway) and I believe there is a bus service there from near Endcliffe. It would be a LONG bus ride though, would prob take best part of an hour to get there with all the stops youd have to make.

Oh I forgot, theres also a large Waitrose about 15 minutes walk from uni. But if you're going to have to trek out somewhere, you may as well make it somewhere cheap, which Waitrose definitely isnt.

ps - Broomhill is the closest shopping area to Endcliffe and there used to be a Somerfield there, but I think it has now turned into a Spar. I guess it would still be 'proper supermarket sized' though but not sure quite what the range of stuff you can get is like.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Yeah, spar is literally down the road and its really big, not exactly the cheapest of places though.

Then there's Select and Save further down the road, and some fruit shops/off-liscences (< thats spelt terribly, but i cant make it look right!). Then, as the above poster said, tesco is on ecclesall road which has everything youll need.

You'll find your way round in no time :smile:
Big tesco on infirmary road or the Sainsburys in the moor.

From endcliffe, you'd probably need to get the bus to Abbeydale road to the Tesco or Sainsburys there.

edit: Yeah waitrose is like 20 minutes brisk walk from the tram stop I think. You just head straight down where the tram turns left.
hayyleyy
Yeah, spar is literally down the road and its really big, not exactly the cheapest of places though.

Then there's Select and Save further down the road, and some fruit shops/off-liscences (< thats spelt terribly, but i cant make it look right!). Then, as the above poster said, tesco is on ecclesall road which has everything youll need.

You'll find your way round in no time :smile:

I must admit, that spar up endcliffe way is really nice now. A lot better than the Somerfield it replaced. Those homemade pizzas are just heaven. :coma:
Reply 5
guy_incognito
I must admit, that spar up endcliffe way is really nice now. A lot better than the Somerfield it replaced. Those homemade pizzas are just heaven. :coma:

The Eurospar? I haven't been to it yet but how far is it from the Endcliffe Village? I just wanna get a feel of how far away Endcliffe Village is from where I live atm....:smile:
bigmo7
The Eurospar? I haven't been to it yet but how far is it from the Endcliffe Village? I just wanna get a feel of how far away Endcliffe Village is from where I live atm....:smile:

its like 2 minutes away lol
Reply 7
hayyleyy
its like 2 minutes away lol

Wow seriously? I keep trying to find an address for Endcliffe village cos I live literally up the road from Eurospar....so if I wanted to go down to meet people (hopefully I'll find some friends :biggrin:) it would be a piece of cake right? I live about 10 mins walking distance from Spar...
If you walk up from spar (away from all the shops) and along the long road there should be a bus stop and a path a few metres away that leads down with some bushes, (if you're at the right bus stop, there should be a scary looking tall building across the road a bit away), and at the bottom are crescent flats, part of endcliffe village, and these lead onto lawrencefield etc

its really close! :smile:
Reply 9
hayyleyy
If you walk up from spar (away from all the shops) and along the long road there should be a bus stop and a path a few metres away that leads down with some bushes, (if you're at the right bus stop, there should be a scary looking tall building across the road a bit away), and at the bottom are crescent flats, part of endcliffe village, and these lead onto lawrencefield etc

its really close! :smile:

:woo: I think I might spend most of my time there! If it's allowed of course :yep:
Or, more graphically, it's here
Reply 11
zippy_gerbil
Or, more graphically, it's here

From me to you

:smug:
bigmo7
I think I might spend most of my time there! If it's allowed of course

I'm pretty certain you could spend all your time in the bar/cafe at least

I like spar, they've had some rediculous reductions. For about a month i never spent more than 10p on a loaf of bread / pack of rolls and got some packs of cakes & croissants for 10p too :smile: oh and packs of 2 cod fillets for 50p. They've not been as cheap recently though, think they got better at ordering the right amount of stock :frown:
Reply 13
subterfuge
I'm pretty certain you could spend all your time in the bar/cafe at least

I like spar, they've had some rediculous reductions. For about a month i never spent more than 10p on a loaf of bread / pack of rolls and got some packs of cakes & croissants for 10p too :smile: oh and packs of 2 cod fillets for 50p. They've not been as cheap recently though, think they got better at ordering the right amount of stock :frown:

:curious: Really...hmmm... the one next to us (normal spar) is so ridiculously overprice that we never buy from them...
Ah well at least maybe living at home won't be *that* bad! :biggrin:
Reply 14
The spar in broomhill is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion. £1.80 for a bag of cheapo pasta? They're having a laugh!

I shop in the Tesco on Infirmary Road.
just a suggestion OP i asked my 3rd year flatmates what they do or where they go and they said they get asda delivered :smile: which is always an option
x
I did the bus ride to the big Asda once! It was quite a journey but it cost 50p on the Stagecoach bus and it was worth it! Only problem I bought sooooo much stuff coz it was cheaper than the Tesco on Eccy road that I could barely carry it all the way home from the bus stop in Broomhill!
Reply 17
Morrisons on penistone road is massive and if you have access to a car worth a trip once a month or so to stock up.
Reply 18
Massive Tesco on Infirmary Road.
What about places like aldi, netto? Is there anywhere like that close by? Or even a home bargains for tins and packets, is there one in Sheffield?
Im determined to spend as little as possible on my food!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending