The Student Room Group

Birth of a Star - GCSE answer please

I'm getting confused here. Can someone just give me a full answer of how the Sun was born, or any star for that matter.

I was taught it was born when hydrogen fuses with helium nuclei but now I've read that it forms from gas and dust and then the hydrogen bit happens after... :confused:
Thanks. :cool:
Reply 1
Originally stars from from clouds of dust and gas which then spiral togethor due to gravity. As they spiral the gravitational energy converts to heat energy and so the temperature rises. Eventually it gets hot enough for the hydrogen nuclei to undergo nuclear fusion forming helium nuclei giving out huge amounts of heat and light and giving birth to a star. It then has a long stable period where the heat created by the nucleur fusion provides an outward forcec equal to the inward force of gravity. This is calleed the main sequence star and lasts for 10 billion years (apparently)
Reply 2
yep i done an A3 poster on that and stuck it on my wall. so when i wake up i can see the star cycle.
Reply 3
The star ain't any normal star. :wink: It's a second generation star. (From what I remember!) Normal stars are formed from gas, dust and matter, being pulled together, by the forces of gravity, and compressed with heat etc. However, I think the sun is formed, when er, I think it's from the explosion of a Supernova, or something like that....it's definately a second generation star anyhow. :wink: We can tell because of something, something blah etc...I do know that it's in it's stable period though. :smile: I think I need to go over astronomy. :frown:
Reply 4
It is a second gereration star cause it was formed after another star blew up in a supernova. However it was formed as any star is formed. When a star becomes a super nova it trows off loads of dust and gas which then joins together to form another sun (or a neutron star or a black hole) However the exploding supernova actualy made most , if not all im not sure, of the solar system
Reply 5
Ah great! Thanks guys! :biggrin:

Latest