The Student Room Group

Other A-Level subjects to take with sciences

I've just finished my AS Levels after taking an extra subject on. I am now looking to doing 4 A-Levels next year but do not know which of my extra subjects would be more valued by the universities: German or history? I got an A in history and a mark off an A in German, which was due to a mishap in my oral exam. I've been told I can make my German up to an A next year but am unsure which subject would be better to continue with. History has coursework which would be done at the same time as the big chemistry coursework but German you have to constantly be learning new words. Help! I enjoy them both and would love to continue both on but don't want my sciences to suffer. Any advice?
probably neither would me MORE appealing? I know you dont have to, but wouldnt it make sense to take say maths and physics, as they will probably come in useful for a vet med degree, whereas german or history wont?
As far as I'm aware all the uni's say taking 4 subjects at A2 will not put you at any advantage over other candidates, and as you are taking Maths, Bio and Chem they will probably base your offer on this and therefore if you're sure you want to take a 4th subject they probably won't really mind which you do.
Reply 3
I took chemistry, biology, maths and french. It seemed like a really good mix. 3 maths/sci subjects then one extra for fun.
Reply 4
I took history for AS, was going to keep it on for A2 but changed my mind as i decided my time would be better spent revising for my other subjects. We dont need more than three a levels, so why'd you want to take another one? If its because you like them take the one you like the most. x
Reply 5
I suppose if you leave German and continue them and get As next year you'll have a AAAAb but if you carry on german and get an A, and leave history you'll have AAAAa ... i suppose that looks better?
keep what you enjoy :smile:
I don't think it would really matter which out of German and History you carried on with so I would just go with the one you enjoy more or the one you think you will do best in/have to put the least work into (History?).

One thing to be aware of though is that whilst doing an extra A level might give your application a boost it could well be included in your offer. So for example if you were given an offer of AAAA and then only got a B in your extra subject, you could be rejected even if you got AAA in your science subjects. I think most of the uni's tend to give 3-subject offers AAA/AAB but Cambridge often give 4-subject offers if you choose to take 4 A levels.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot guys! Think I'll stick with German and see how it goes.

Latest

Trending

Trending