The Student Room Group
Reply 1
check out this thread, it is an example of trig at gcse level, not sure if same board though u should look at your syllabus maybe.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t117009.html
trig wont turn up in the non calc unless they tell u to leave ur answer as an improper fraction or in the form of cos tan or sin
Reply 3
kubra
does anyone know if trignometry is ganna come up in the non calculator paper aswell as the calsulator paper as it is quite hard to do by hand.

Trignometry won't come up in GCSE non-calculator paper
Reply 4
Like pythagoras, it wont come up on non calculator paper.
Reply 5
Does anybody know what kind of things will come up in the non-calculator paper? Seriously, I can never differentiate. I'm awful at Maths, what should I be focusing on specifically for the Non-Calculator aspect? I'm doing Edexcel. Argh! TUESDAY! (It's the only one I may actually fail. If I don't get a B...I think I get a U! And...er, I won't get a B. (I've been predicted A, but that's only because I got full marks in the coursework - I knew I'd have to do well, to stand a chance you see!).
erm....well zhivago....i have loadsa past papers from which u cud have a look at trends... as in which questions u cud expect to cm up on exam...but u'd have to gimme ur email lol......
Reply 7
It probably won't come out in the non-calculator paper, i haven't seen it in them.

Pythagoras is sometimes encountered in non calculator papers but very straight forward with intergers.

Though non calculator does have many calculations which you consider as a calculator question oh well i hope It's not difficult this year....
On the higher tier, pass mark for a C is only 15%, but if you don't get that you fail. i.e. get a U
its not 15 percent...
it was about 30 last year in the higher tier cos the paper was the hardest in so many years.......but its likely to be about 40 percent this year as it has been on most other years papers
Reply 10
If 64% is A* then 40% cant be a C, im with the person that said 15%, something like that.
Reply 11
It depends what type and board - I am doing OCR Maths B (MEI). For paper 1, which is next Tuesday, we did it last year before GCSEs and are redoing it for a better grade, a C is around 35% and an A* around 80%, for Maths 2 on the 15th June, which is much harder, a C is around 15% and A* around 75%.

Trigonometry can come up in the non-calculator, I remember seeing a pyramid question in a past paper and your answer had to be a fraction x square root

Differentiation should not occur in Maths, well for OCR anyway, but it will be in the Additional Maths syllabus.
Reply 12
I know that for Edexcel Maths last year, 61% was an A*, 45% was an A, and 29% was a B. In my mocks last year, I got, ahem, 26%, which was only 3% of a B. It took a bit of the shame out of it. I need to do some revision.
Im Doin History Biology And Chemistry Last Year Too Zhivago :smile:
Reply 14
You see! Great minds think alike and all that. :wink: :p: Chemistry's gonna be hard I reckon...anyway, this is complete spam, but...yeah...maths...er...
I need to get 37% to get a B on the higher paper. Thats including my coursework. I'm nervous about maths, but I think me passing it now will be just a case of staying calm and not making stupid mistakes. I hate how you only need such small percentages to get a decent grade. It just goes to show how difficult the exam is. So you can get most of it wrong and still pass! Very demoralising.
Last years for OCR was something like A*=64%
A = 45% roughly
B = 30% roughly
C = 15%
chemistry is actually supposed to be the easiest science.....physics the hardest and then bio and then chem........my bro did bio...he says its tuff because theres alot to learn and u have to be really specific....the examiners what particular keywords.they wont accept as easily as they do at gcse....amd chem involves alot of maths....so zhivago watch out lol...u dnt seem to like maths

Latest