The Student Room Group

Best university for History and Politics?

I've pretty much decided that I want to do History and Politics, but I haven't been able to find that many places that discuss the merits of this course (although I've always presumed H&P to be a quite popular joint honours).

Anyway, what Universities do you think give the best balance of History and Politics? I.E. they are both good. I mean, some Unis may have brilliant History departments where Politics is comparatively not.

I have just recieved aaa a-level results, and therefore I presume if I carry on working hard I have a good chance of being accepted by the overall 'better' unis (quotes because I don't necessarily think they are!)

Thoughts???

Scroll to see replies

do you mean AS results? just looked at your spoiler and am confused :s-smilie:

most british unis are very good for History - Scottish unis are excellent from what I've heard
Politics I'm not so certain - some random unis are spectacularly good at it - Aberystwyth for instance
I would imagine any redbrick to be very good

bear in mind if you do straight History, you can often choose Politics modules, because so much of the study of History is in high politics
this lends you some flexibility, as from what little I know, HistPol can be somewhat restrictive especialy if your uni insists on modules that overlap the different disciplines
Reply 2
BigBadSaint
do you mean AS results? just looked at your spoiler and am confused :s-smilie:

most british unis are very good for History - Scottish unis are excellent from what I've heard
Politics I'm not so certain - some random unis are spectacularly good at it - Aberystwyth for instance
I would imagine any redbrick to be very good

bear in mind if you do straight History, you can often choose Politics modules, because so much of the study of History is in high politics
this lends you some flexibility, as from what little I know, HistPol can be somewhat restrictive especialy if your uni insists on modules that overlap the different disciplines

Oops, yes. Sorry - I've been sleeping at odd hours recently and it's starting to really affect me.

I really wouldn't want to do straight History or straight Politics tbqh.
Reply 3
Oxford does a History and Politics degree, and it's world-class in both fields (the Politics side consists of a selection of papers from PPE). If you have AAA at AS and are confident of the same at A2, do seriously consider it.
Reply 4
rkd
Oxford does a History and Politics degree, and it's world-class in both fields (the Politics side consists of a selection of papers from PPE). If you have AAA at AS and are confident of the same at A2, do seriously consider it.

I would, but after going to view the English course there, I really don't think Oxford as a whole would be good for me...plus, I doubt I'd ever really be considered by them. If a girl with six As at A Level cannot get in there, then I doubt I'm passionate enough with 3 A Levels to get in either :wink:.
I'm just about to go to Warwick to study history and politics, if you're still interested I'll let you know how it goes :smile:
But so far I've been very impressed by what I've heard of the course.
Definitely Oxford.
Reply 7
I study Politics at Liverpool University (okay, not as top-notch as Oxbridge, but still a decent uni), and did two subsidary courses in History last year. From my experience on doing those subsidary courses, the History department there is brilliant. However, the Politics department in Liverpool is alright, the teaching is good but there isn't that much of a variety of courses - several of the courses are centered around Marxism, for example.

I know two people that are studying History and Politics at the same uni, although they had to study a third subject in the first year.
Reply 8
gee_shakedown
I'm just about to go to Warwick to study history and politics, if you're still interested I'll let you know how it goes :smile:
But so far I've been very impressed by what I've heard of the course.

I've looked at the Warwick course and agree, it looks really good...it'll be nice to hear about it :smile:

And also, tell me about how you find Warwick as a whole, as I've heard some quite negative things...
Reply 9
T-o dore
Definitely Oxford.

Again, I don't think I could go to Oxford even if I really tried, and if I could, I doubt the atmosphere of Oxford would be good for me.

But thanks for the suggestion :smile:
Obviously Oxford is fairly high up on the list if you want to apply for History and Politics.

I also applied to Warwick, and I found their post offer open day to be most impressive. Both departments seemed strong.

Other good choices include York, Exeter or LSE (if you don't mind doing international history with either government or international relations).

St Andrews do History and IR if I recall.

Durham don't do History and Politics, though you can do a combined social sciences course where you can take History, Politics and another subject (such as philosophy, economics or a language).
Warwick was my favourite of those I looked at but I also loved the course at Newcastle as it was very flexible and virtually all modules were optional ones (something like only one compulsory in the first year). I also applied to Exeter as the course looked interesting and had some more unusual modules (more international history options rather than just sticking to European). UEA (where I am now going) has a good looking course as well.

If you have a clear idea of what's important to you, you'll find it quite easy to narrow down the options - once I'd found the unis that actually did History and Politics I was quickly able to eliminate some based on the course, place, module options etc.
Reply 12
RedRevolver
Again, I don't think I could go to Oxford even if I really tried, and if I could, I doubt the atmosphere of Oxford would be good for me.

But thanks for the suggestion :smile:

I am just going into 3rd year of History and Politics at Oxford and love it. If you want to know any more about it feel free to PM me. I won't nag but I just wondered what your specific feelings against Oxford are? A lot of the stereotypes aren't really true and its a lot more 'normal' than people think. No worries if you're really not interested, I just hate to see people put off by myths.

Oh, and don't think you're not good enough. There's no knowing who they'll want, and since you are an A grade student there's no reason they wouldn't be interested in you. I actually got a B in AS History but my interview went well, so I still got an offer.
I'd say look at Durham and Sheffield. I was really impressed by both departments, especially in terms of range of modules, when I went to their open days.

And don't be persuaded into applying for Oxfoord if you know it's not what you want.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv]']I'd say look at Durham and Sheffield. I was really impressed by both departments, especially in terms of range of modules, when I went to their open days.

And don't be persuaded into applying for Oxfoord if you know it's not what you want.

Ooh, yes - I really liked the course at Sheffield too. Didn't apply in the end, but thought the department was really good on the open day.

And ditto the Oxford thing - yes the course is well-known as being the best but there are loads of others out there so don't feel you 'should' apply there just because people are telling you to. There's more to life than Oxbridge after all :smile:
Reply 15
Sussex is a good university for that courses...
Reply 16
Please use the search bar before making a thread, this has been done many times before. Inlcuding by myself.

Oxford
York
Durham
Sheffield
St Andrews
LSE
Warwick
Exeter

They are the best !
RedRevolver
I've pretty much decided that I want to do History and Politics, but I haven't been able to find that many places that discuss the merits of this course (although I've always presumed H&P to be a quite popular joint honours).

Anyway, what Universities do you think give the best balance of History and Politics? I.E. they are both good. I mean, some Unis may have brilliant History departments where Politics is comparatively not.

I have just recieved aaa a-level results, and therefore I presume if I carry on working hard I have a good chance of being accepted by the overall 'better' unis (quotes because I don't necessarily think they are!)

Thoughts???

History = http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=History&sub=32&x=16&y=8

Politics = http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Politics&sub=52&x=11&y=11

Copy & paste those links they should work.
Hope this helps:smile:
Warwick is lush if you don't mind being out of a city.
People berate the 'bubble' atmosphere but tbh I'm not sure why - the people you will mainly see for the first year will be fellow students/ravers, campus is really safe because of it and they have best SU in the country.
Plus they run a reeeeally late bus to and from Coventry centre. And Birmingham center is quater of an hour off.

Not sure bout their Politics department. But the History courses looked superb - really wide and varied, basically sticking a middle finger up at the traditional prescribed history course.

Durham ask for silly amounts of A* a GCSE IIR.

You may as well try for Oxford. Many of the stereotypes are totally untrue (though some are)
Reply 19
tucker672
Please use the search bar before making a thread, this has been done many times before. Inlcuding by myself.

Oxford
York
Durham
Sheffield
St Andrews

Why does it matter to you if this thread has been made before? You don'thave to answer or even read the OP if you don't want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending